Discussion » Film & TV » Modern Chinese cinema?

• King Of Life
    King Of Life wrote:

I am looking for pointers for good contemporary Chinese films, that are likely to have English subtitles

I am not looking for fluffy mass-produced love stories, rather something more edgy, independent that offers an alteranitve view of modern China and life in it. Independent films, or more critical films.

• Simen Wangberg

Beijing has some kind of film festival coming up, there will probably be something along those lines there.

Someone produced a Chinese comedy about some guy opening up a sex toy shop awhile back, don't quite recall the name though. Sounds like it might be pretty hilarious. It might not even be out yet, I have no clue.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

Check out "Lost in Beijing" featuring the lead actor from the TV series 奋斗. Full of sex, rage and desperation. Not bad!

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I've got a massive lift of stuff I'm going to watch, so I might give you reccomendations later.

• Rebecca Arnesen

ding on lost in beijing(sometimes translated as apple). Also, a little bit banned due to reference to certain unmentionable event, but summer palace is good kan, director lou ye  you'd be interested in, i enjoyed another of his movies called suzhou river/creek, all very down and dirty in shanghai and this one not banned i think.

• Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:

right, and his other one, Spring Love or something. he's a nice director. 

and why not go see Let the Bullets Fly, in the cinemas now. no english subtitles though : ( but was fun anyway

• Einsteinna
    Einsteinna wrote:

@Iain Bonner

How could you know that it's fun? You can't understand what are saying...I think the lines are hard for a foreigner to understand (even though that foreigner can speak Chinese) XD

• Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:

Hon Cheung !!!

well cinema is a visual language, right? sure i miss a lot of the words, and there's a lot of them, but words are overrated. you can understand a lot from expressions, tones of voice, body language etc etc

• Einsteinna
    Einsteinna wrote:

OK!

You win! XD

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.