Discussion » Dating & Romance » Foreigners and Chinese not allowed to share hotel

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Right now in Guangzhou foreigners and chinese are not allowed to share a hotel room unless they provide a marriage certificate.

Even foreigners that do not always carry their marriage certificate with them are not allowed to spend a night with their wife in a hotel i Guangzhou.

Good or bad? =)

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It depends on whether interacial casual sex is more immoral. It seems they think so.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Yea, it's good for the housekeepers to try to restrict their rented rooms to married chinese couples. Why? Because that will not even disturb a butterfly on the bedpole :-) 

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Morgan: I wish it was.

Anyway. In my country (Sweden) no one would accept the government to babysit its people in this way.

Any foreign person can come up with 100 jokes about this "policy", (just like Ole did) all of them will give any person some kind of disrespect to China.

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Morgan: Guangzhou is definitely not rural China, and this rule was created after the Asian Games that was taking place in Guangzhou a few weeks ago.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

I went home with some girl who lived at a hotel, and they refused to let me visit her because I didnt have a passport. Government owe me one round of humpin!

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Yep - if you're homeless :-)

• Kay
    Kay wrote:

this is crazy, i cant take it... 

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

What about in Shenzhen and Dongguan? If they implement this policy there, it might really squash the sex trade. As it is though, who takes their girlfriend to visit such a dirty place as Guangzhou anyway? Hard to see this policy affecting much other than China's reputation.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... it is unlikely that they place police to guard the rooms, so it seems to me, if a married couple cannot produce a certificate, they will have to rent two separate rooms and then sneaked out in the middle of the night, assuming into the "correct" room ...

1. this is meant to bring some romance back into married couple's life, especially an international marriage ...

2. also to "promote" the hotel business of international tourism, because they dont pay for one room, but two ...

3. to promote more international marriages ...

莫明 ... do you mean foreigners always go for "sex traders" instead of university students, especially in those cities?

4. since fake certificate is not really unheard of, this will bring a boom to this industry.

Dee H ... as China do not accept gay/les marriage, such does not "exist", and they should be OK to get a room ...

• Mia Cong
    Mia Cong wrote:

Or the chinese girl could pretend she's from somewhere else, speak English or whatever language your familiar with, the concierge won't bother arguing with you i suppose? or just like my uncle 叮当 said, get 2 rooms and sneak around? anyways, we can always wangle our way in XD

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Mia Cong ... long time no see, how is your study by the way? And who says that the "Chinese" person has to be a girl, and that the foreigner has to be a guy? Maybe for the majority of cases, but there are always exceptions ... heehee ...

Years ago, we were in Shanghai, and I was in desperate need of toilet, so my wife suggested me going to the 5-star hotel next to us (we were staying in some cheap little hotel), talked to the concierge in English (in a polite manner) ... well, that was the most "satisfying" experience I have had, and the concierge did not ask for ID or anything ...

So, using what Mia Cong said, this is an effective way to improve the English skill of Chinese in those areas of China :)

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Can OP kindly offer a credible news link to confirm what you've described? Thanks!

• Monica Jakobsen

i dont understand.... why they enforce such rules? dats mad racist....and i find  it hard to believe because as long as the local chinese get money they dont usually care this far...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I am guessing they probably only enforce this rule against prostitutes, as a way of preventing GZ from turning into Dongguan.

Uncle DD, as far as I've heard, Shenzhen is just a place to travel through if you want to save money on the way to HK, and Dongguan is just a place to buy hookers. I've formeed this impression based on the foreign guys I've met who've been to Dongguan - not really the type who come to China to learn Chinese, if you know what I mean.

Mia, if you pretend to be foreign they'll require you show your foreign passport to get a room. (So you better get a UK passport before you visit GZ with me.)

JZ, you're so cute.

• Monica Jakobsen

oh so is only one rule isee. well guess thats that then.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Oh, hahahaha ... 莫明 ... of course I know what you mean, but even to date, it is still a shock to me that prostitution actually exists in Beijing ... and you are definitely right on this one, because most "proper" hotels require a show of ID for registration, so pretending to be foreigner (verbally) without a passport would not quite work ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I think the "sauna's" have sex rooms. I guess the "ktv's" must too. If only I could get a sex room in my house.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

That is simply discriminative, unnecessary and probably the sole reason that the reach around was created.

On a serious note,It's not very hospitable and will soon prove them to be inefficient in due time. Thats basically saying a lady with a see through dress and the blind cannot share rooms. I mean, everyone just wants to grab on to something and claim it as ours before someone kicks you in your bling and tells you to let go.

• Peter S 李贝勒

fuck off!

Freedom is not a rule in this country, and we already know that...

but seem to be really retarded, in middle age?

when will they put again chastity belt?

wedding is an institution that i respect, but in a lot of western country U have a lot of people who think it s "has been".

They have children, they live together, but they are not husband and wife but live as if they are. We don t have any problem with that, it s a big difference between the 2 cultures. I have 4 sisters, they all have childrens, none of them are married, cause we think it s an old tradition, really not modern. The women have to be able to be independant. My sisters have situations, good jobs in the middle up social classes.

all this kind of behavior, really remember me the mentality that we had in france just before the 2nd world war. In 60's things change a lot. 50 years ago...

bravo la chine...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Qwertryt, that's a perfect way to put it. Now we know this news is fake, because money is the most important thing in China!

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ Pierre B Stone. "Space Monkey" , If you talking to me go fu*! yourself if not, go screw yourself . I know all of this wasted breath bullshit that you spew, but things will not change when people don't work as one. Its always has to resort to my family, my whatever before a bro like you would Man Up. Take care of your family, friends, allies, and culture. I would tell you some stories of America's arrested development but yet, you are to adolescent.

Stop procrastination and begin implementation :) 

• Peter S 李贝勒
  • Jenelyn Tambago

Pierre B Stone,

The problem is that when sex becomes part of a business transaction I agree with the Chinese Government. Females are sleeping with businessmen just to close contracts and win clients for their companies. Is not about having casual sex with a girl you like or wanna be with for a while. It's about Corporation's whore service.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Pablo, that's part of standard Chinese business practice, but foreign men don't generally know about it. If the government wanted to change that, they would have to stop Chinese from sharing rooms with other Chinese.

• Jenelyn Tambago

Maybe they don't want to share their women with white trash like us!!! O_o

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Pablo ... I'd still rather think of it as a way for the government to promote "foreign trade", i.e. international marriages :)

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Next time, when people see news from a random internet forum, could you please first question its credibility, check it from other possible channels, then make your own judgement. 

Aren't we trained to have an independent thinking in school? Or we just blindly believe everything people tell us?

• Jenelyn Tambago

That happens when the "official" source of info is as bad as the real one....you end up believing everything you see...

And everything you read or know thats knew is always told by someone else...alas

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... and we raise kangaroos as pets in Oz, and some of them have wings :)

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we all would have  a merry Christmas! The equation people (native + foreigner + hotel) =paycheck sex. Isn't it all to simple or even cliche? That's were I'm getting at .

@ Space monkey? Waste junky?I mean Internet spunky! Whatever you are called: you're telling me to go back to my trees , you're are a simple oxy-moron. I'm human , how are you Junky monkey?

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:

Thanks for the tip.   I haven't had to produce my marriage license in BJ,Nanjing,Shanghai, suzhou, Chengdu, or Hangzhou.  When I go to Guongzhou in a few months to get her exit visa to come to the USA I'll remember to bring my marriage license.

• №❶ Passioη

Good and Bad :D

@ Author - this is not written anywhere in chinese laws and policies. It's just fast becoming a convention aroused by jealousy or something - the hotel managers or reception at their own discretion can allow or disallow foreigners from doing anything depending on their mood or the impression you give them; just like taxi drivers prefer not to pick up foreigners (for fear of language problems - unclearly communicated destination , probably a bit of racism reasons too)... Let's look at the brighter side, there are 2 simple ways to avoid this:

1. Keep your pretty female outside the hotel, get to the reception and do the necessary transactions, check in, then take her in - no one will stop you.

2. Go there with a fat female (considered by chinese to be ugly), even if she comes naked, you'll get a room without a problem.

Good Luck :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.