Discussion » Beauty & Fashion » The naked truth about nude art

  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    Things seem a little slow on WLIB these days, so how about we get back to focusing on why we're all here in the first place: hot pix of (nearly) naked girls.  This article from the greatest, most accurate, most honest, and most well-respected newspaper in the universe, CHINA DAILY, recently caught my eye:

    The naked truth about nude art

    Updated: 2010-12-10 06:52

    By Zhou Wenting (China Daily)

    Studios get a dressing down over a new form of private photo shoots. Zhou Wenting in Beijing reports.

    http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-12/10/content_11681233.htm

     

    Can we get some comments?  Ladies of WLIB, have you ever done a naked photo shoot? would you?

  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

    I love waking up to some moral hysteria. This quote was a gem:

    The changes in social values and sexual liberation that nude photo shoots are said to represent could also hinder the development of teenagers, says Xia Xueluan, a professor of sociology at Peking University.

    "Juvenile crime has continued to worsen, especially sexual crimes, to which the open-mindedness of the public and the easy availability of scantily clothed men and women both make great contributions," he says.

    "In primitive times, people knew to cover their bodies with leaves. Why are people now taking off their clothes? How can youngsters cast aside etiquette and shame?"

    I can't believe this guy is a professer of Sociology at the nation's top university. Sociology is about change and explaining it, not trying to sop it.

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    @ Kieran. Do you totally disagree with the Prof? Would you mind breaking down your point so we can comprehend you well. It's an interesting and tricky topic btw..

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Kieran's point was that the professor failed to show an actual causal link between the increasing availability of sexual imagery and the prevalence of crime. For one thing, the claim that juvenile crime is up is spurious. For another, just because two things happen simultaneously doesn't mean they are connected.

    More commonly, conflating correlation (different phenomenon occurring at the same time) and causation (one phenomenon being the reason for the other phenomenon) is an error journalists make when presenting the results of sociological research. Maybe we can forgive journalists for being poor sociologists, but as Kieran said, this is a sociologist at BeiDa. He should know better.

    This is worse than those retards who point to blizzards in the Midwestern USA and say "WHERE'S YOUR GLOBAL WARMING NOW, LIBRULS?!?!?!"

  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    Thank you to my fellow nerds for getting that out of the way.

    Now, as I was trying to say, LADIES OF WLIB: get on this trend!

    And, out of geniune curiosity, has anyone actually posed for a nude photo shoot?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    tits or GTFO

  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    Read the article.  It seems there are more than just a few.


    As far as whether or not anyone who comes out of the Chinese educational system deserves to be called "professor"....well, I won't get into that argument today.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    A lack of... tits?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Sorry Kate. Help me out here. I'm not picking up what you're laying down.

  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

    @ Desmond: Yes. I do.

    Depictions of the naked male and female body have existed in culture the world over since the dawn of time. Cave drawings tend to depict hunting and nudity and not much else. Some of the finest sculptures from ancient Greece were of the naked bodies of men and women. Some of the finest paintings ever created have been of naked bodies. For this professor to come out and act like people have never been seen naked untill yesterday is just stupid and unfounded. It's completely, undeniably ignorant.

    Also, like Dando Z said: correlation does not equal causation. I could go into tons of detail about formal logic, but I won't. I'll sum it up like this:

    Every time a teenage boy masturbates at night, the sun rises the next morning. So it's obvious that teenage boys masturbating cause the sun to rise.

    He's basically having a moral whiplash reaction and then trying to back it up with some form of argument that has zero founding in logic and doesn't hold up at all, and the journalist is expecting us to accept it because he's a scholar.

     

    If you agree nudity is bad and is the downfall of modern society, cool. You are entitled to your opinion. My point is that anyone should be able to see through that professors argument as totally groundless, even if they agree with his views on nude photography.

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    The journalist absolutely does not "expect us to accept it" he/she expects us to accept that "some social analysts claim the new trend for photos among young people is moving away from artist creation and into "unhealthy" commercialization."

     

    "He in Shanghai, whose group is pushing for a clampdown on studios, dismissed the trend as simply "a novelty" and claimed nude bridal shoots "show disrespect to the country's wedding customs, which are traditionally sacred and serious"

    That's a load of bollocks. Chinese weddings have always had loads of hazing and filthy behaviour.

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    @Kieran and Dando, thanks for the explanation and I do agree with you.

    What I would say here is just that, even as you mentioned that since the dawn of time there have been artists drawing nude women and so on...

    Here are a few questions that make we wonder:

    1. Is nudity=to shame?

    2. Is it moral

    3. Is it healthy?

  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    Yes, it's moral and it's healthy and in fact I think it should be mandatory.

    God, you people are not helping me get this conversation rolling at all.  Do I have to do everything myself around here?  I dish out a dyed-in-the-wool tailor-made opportunity to get a classic over-sexed inappropriate WLIB discussion going, and you guys hijack my immaturity with a bunch of social science lessons and debates.  SIGH.

  • Simen Stensvoll

    i remember someone said "people cover their bodies when they feel shame"

    and i agree with him

    if there is something unhealthy,thats people's mind.

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    People cover their bodies when they feel cold.

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Or if for instance I went to a job interview I would probably cover my body.

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    If I don't want to get sunburn I cover my body too.

    It sounds like this guy Minimy knows is a bit of a twat, doesn't it?

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    @ Ethan, in which case is it healthy? Do u recommend people to display their nudity in public? What can be the reaction of kids and teen viewing these stuff?

  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    @Desmond -  I wasn't actually giving my genuine opinion on these matters, I was just trying to express my impatience with how the conversation had turned to serious matters, instead of getting girls on this site to tell us whether they would consider doing a nude photo shoot, which was what I hoped the conversation would be.

    In general, philosophically speaking, I think nude photos are perfectly fine and harmless and all in good fun, as long as the girl maintains control over the images so no sleazy guy puts them all over the internet.  (Of course I would love the pix to be on the internet, but only if the girl chooses to put them there.)

    She'll probably be glad she has them later in life, and it's fun for her boyfriend/husband too.

  • Shane
    Shane wrote:

    "We were young once and we understand the idea of wanting to keep a memory of that eternal beauty, but that doesn't justify taking nude photos that have nothing to do with art," says the 56-year-old.

    Translation: I have suffered from erectile dysfunction since the 80's and i'm out to ruin your day. I believe art comes in two forms: 1) Those meant to undermine communist principles and 2) Capitism inspired peaces meant to disrupt the Chinese economy.  FUWUYUAN where the fuck is my baijiu? Zhaobenshan is on the tele!

     

    The association boss explains that her favorite picture was taken when she was about 20 years old. In it, she is wearing a white shirt and blue trousers, a typical outfit at the time. "The clothes were not tight but I can still make out my curves," says He. "I think this is a good way to remember my youth. You don't have to be naked.

    Translation: Back in my day, these were the sluttiest options available. You know how fucking hard it is to find a pair of blue jean shorts during the cultural revolution? I generally approve of this. I mean, you could take photos with your clothes on, if your a pussy. Can I get a granny whaaaaat?!

    "What if they are leaked?" says Wu Xia, a 22-year-old sales clerk at a multinational consumer goods company in Wuxi, Jiangsu province, who is clearly appalled at the idea of posing for nude pictures.

    Translation: I'm ugly.

     

    The first time I see a model, I tend to build a concept of her (it's usually a her) in my mind based on past experiences. However, women are assertive when it comes to nude portraits, so I just give advice and they make the final decisions.

    Translation: I do a lot of my work from the bathroom.

  • Simen Stensvoll
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:

    Photo courtesy of Beijing University

  • Morten Eriksen
    haha, the old man focus for what, drawing or petting, i just curious like that age whose dick can still hard enough?
  • Simen Stensvoll
    the name of the pic is "calligraphy teaching "
  • Morten Eriksen
    teach calligraphy, haha
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    Dammit, all the Chinese professors are having more fun than me.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    "In primitive times, people knew to cover their bodies with leaves. Why are people now taking off their clothes? How can youngsters cast aside etiquette and shame?"

    ohhhhh!!!!! what a sharpness and fineness in his thoughts!!!!!
    plus showing that he has not read George Simmel, a sociologist that al least didn't reach his position in the university using 关系

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    @ Ethan thanks the explanation. I couldn't agree with more.

    We just have to know that nudity in public is a symbol of shame. But as the world has gone up side down, we tend to believe that displaying nudity is normal. Just look at how ladies nowadays wear half naked in the street. Is that infomercial:) May be, but guys, it's good to see anyway:)

  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

    ...never think about doing that...

    I would try to take a naked shoot when my baby is in me.  Yes, I mean when I get pregnancy ...

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Would still you do that knowing that pregnancy fetishism is no farther from mainstream than S&M or foot fetishism?

  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

    you can search "giving birth" on Youtube.. which I rekon "super" than either of them...  Preganancy/SM/foot fetishism is easy to be accpted and understood than "giving birth" and showing on Youtube...

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    ^ would you still do that...

    Yeah... no. Let's not and say we did. If abstinence-only sexual education actually worked, it'd be due to childbirth videos. Thanks, but I like cunnilingus and roast beef sandwiches. Don't ruin my appetite.

  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

    hmmm.. you are pushing me to agree with you... 

     

    I will take you to one Japanese take away at wudaokou... You will thank me as meat lover

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc