Discussion » Nonsense » Do you think Chinese should celebrate Christmas or

• Kate
    Kate wrote:

Recently I've been bothered 3 times by a girl in a shop I often go, who wants to sell me their christmas cakes. Everytime I will refuse her by saying almost same words: christmas is not chinese holiday, I dont celebrate it, but the girl just insisted: you can buy is for fun, for party, it's just a time to party, etc...

I know commerical motivation is the reason behind why Chinese celebrate it now. Frankly I don't really care as long as they can be successful in China. But one fact I can not deny is there must have a market so these commerical activities will make money every year during this season in China. This market means a large group of Chinese people they want to celebrate it for various reasons.

Here I'm just curious to you people who celebrate it how you think of this phenomena?  Do you think Chinese (market) should celebrate it or not?...My personal opinion is we should not. I don't feel comfortable for a religious holiday, you see? no matter how the content of Christmas have been changed.

• Charlotte Klemp

I agree JZ much more than Kate. It's nobodies matter what anotherone SHOULD celebrate or not.

If you think Christmas is still a religious case in the most of the west, well then you're wrong. I don't know anyone personally who celebrates it for the sake of christianity and that's fine. It's a family and friends reunion like 春节 or 中秋节.

it's the minority of the Christmas-celebrating-crowd who concerns it with religion. By the way, the roots of Christmas are pagan (-germanic). Yule-tide.

• Charlotte Klemp

postscript: not talking about Jesus' birth though, that about other christmas-customs and the date.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Kate, Christmas is an American holiday as well as a religious holiday, so you can celebrate it if you want to show that you love consumerism or America.

I think having too many holidays means I treat them all like normal days. For holidays that we're supposed to take seriously, everyone should have the day off work or school.

• Charlotte Klemp

Christmas is an American-holiday??? LOL !!!!! Bar Mitzvah is a Texan custom to castrate bulls, haha!

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It's not a matter of "should", it's doing what you want.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

I think China should blindly follow western values.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

飞鹿,the list of American holidays is linked, and copied below since .gov sites are often "offline".

http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2010.asp

Since U.S. law requires a "separation of church and state", we know that Christmas must be an American holiday, not just a religious holiday. Otherwise, this holiday would be grossly unconstitutional.

Friday, January 1 New Year’s Day
    Monday, January 18 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Monday, February 15* Washington’s Birthday
    Monday, May 31 Memorial Day
    Monday, July 5** Independence Day
    Monday, September 6 Labor Day
    Monday, October 11 Columbus Day
    Thursday, November 11 Veterans Day
    Thursday, November 25 Thanksgiving Day
    Friday, December 24*** Christmas Day
  • Charlotte Klemp

sorry, we misunderstood each others. I wanted to say that Christmas is much more than an American holiday, but actually I thought you were being sarcastic.

See it like that: There are also some other (veeeery small) countries in this world besides the States that eversince celebrated Christmas.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

Will get a day off on X'mas day next Friday...

every Friday is like X'mas to me.. Although that's not our national holiday..but as long as there would be a excuse to get ppl together.. why not?

• Erik Aleksander Aas

*Chinese society's obsession with everything American boggles my mind. If it's not Halloween, it's Thanksgiving; if it's not American fashion, it's American movies/music.....Americans in general are treated like rock stars in China, can't say the same for Chinese in the States!

The average American has no clue what Spring- or Dragon Boat Festival is, let alone celebrate it. Fact, Americans just don't care. Pride yourself in your rich and beautiful culture....celebrate Qing Ming (Tomb Sweeping) Festival!

*a substantial portion thereof

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... do Japanese or Korean celebrate Christmas? Or do western celebrate CNY or Japanese New Year?

There is a Chinese saying 入乡随俗, and since China is not a Christian country, I dont suppose there is any huge reason for "local" Chinese to celebrate Christmas, hell, I dont even notice Easter, and I do miss the cross-bun, sometimes :)

Personally, I dont think this is a matter of "should", more a freewill of choice, whether it be religious or commercial ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

飛盧, I was being sarcastic on bouth counts, so no need to apologize. From your response I thought you took me seriously. I was of course making light of the U.S. making a religious holiday into a national holiday, which is entirely inappropriate.

I just noticed the feiyue. Do you do wushu, or just play soccer?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

The way I figure it is that so much stuff for Christmas is made in China and maybe some of it is left over so they just figure "hey! might as well put these decorations to use! oh, and lets not take them down till june either"

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

There is no "should" or "shouldn't" in this case. What bothers me even more is that WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? Why do we even think about if we should celebrate a holiday or not? Aren't we busy enough? Do we have too much time on hand? Are we having sooooo much fun that we start feeling guilty thus we think we should be bothered by something? Getting together and having a big meal with my friends under the name of Jesus, or under the name of anyone, is always a good thing to me. It doesn't have to be about Xmas. This question had been off my "thinking list" until you brought it up.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... if not for the fact that China has such "interesting" relationships with Japan and Korea, I think we might even be "enjoying" some of their holidays or festivals? I have always wondered how the Chinese version of the Japanese's Adult Festival might be like ...

• Kenneth Pettersen
    no taboo for it
  • Simen Stensvoll

why not? i think Mr Santa would be very gentle..
  • N-Die 北京的法国人

Well some catholic chinese used to celebrate xmas and they are chinese...

In france my family celebrate xmas even we are not catholic, but it's in our culture, there are legends around this event, when we were kids we all believe for a while than santa clause is true...and we were waiting, hiding, pretending to sleep to see him bring us gift !

So it's not a simple commercial event of us, it's an atmosphere, a moment we find again our family spirit...this is xmas for me

That's why i don't really celebrate it in china :p

Now if some smart chinese try to make it as  new commercial event here why not...it's up to everybody...but try to learn about the xmas spirit at least to enjoy the most of it ;) Don't say, "who is jesus ?" or "who is this man wearing red clothes with a white  long beard"...

By the way i don't celebrate Thanks giving, because ...i even didnt know this event before to meet some americans last year ;)

• Charlotte Klemp

Hey guy who starts any post with "Hahahaha": What do you mean with 'adult-festival' (Japan)???

Sound that I should celebrate in Japan this time...

• Charlotte Klemp

for all who consider it still being a JUST religious event: If the christians can celebrate the birth of a JEW, well then....

Also, I assume that Santa may be a buddhist. Come on, a guy who gives so many presents over and over, is suspicious of cleaning his karma, ain't he???

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

飞鹿 ... hahahaha ... there is actually a "Adult Festival" in Japanese culture, nothing to do with adult movies, heehee ... it is about celebration of age ...

• Charlotte Klemp

oh (...dissapointment...), I guessed it might have been another fetish of the Japs...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    it's just an excuse for hanging out with friends, and there is no "should" or "shouldn't" on the individual level. What really matter is, if a big portion of young ppl blindly consider all stuffs with western elements are kinds of "fashion", that's weird. btw, "new year's coming, and the next year is 2011" -- we Chinese won't say this hundreds years ago right? but now no ones' arguing about why we just take Julian canlender right? so don't be so serious about it, that's not the point.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    问题不在于个人的选择,每个人都有每个人的选择自由。问题在整个群体的倾向。日本年轻人不也都过圣诞节,但问题是日本总是会无意识地把所有舶来品都深深地刻上自己特有文化的烙印,这是为什么?俺们国家的那些舶来品却总是让人觉得有刚刚开化的土鳖们迫不及待地呼吸能呼吸到的任何空气的意味,这又是为啥?--瞎扯淡的,跟题目无关,中国人庆祝圣诞节,事情本身没太大问题~
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... 飞鹿 ... maybe, it is really just a festival for teenagers ...

As far as festivals are concerned, I like Singapore, they have both Chinese and Indian New Years, plus a few others non Chinese ones, which means lots more public holidays ...

• Simen Stensvoll

我想凑热闹和过节是两码事,圣诞节也会出去鬼混,但是不会给家人打电话吖
  • N-Die 北京的法国人

@Kate : ^^ this year, it's my chinese students reminded me :

"hey Andy ! Today it's the party !"

me : "Party ? what ? it's not my birthday yet..."

them : "no no no ! it's thank you giving dayyyyy !"

me : "well good for americans ;) but im not...well if you want give me something, you are welcome !"

I did nothing that day because nobody invite me to do anything ahah :)

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

the real question you should be asking is

HOW WILL YOU BE CELEBRATING THIS YEAR? :D

• Kay
    Kay wrote:

As Andy says, in western countries we used to celebrate xmas as big family re union diner etc, with a little taste of religion...

But since couple years chinese people adopted it maybe for a fashion reason (that sounds cool to celebrate it), plus chinese ppl are willing for development, and that developmentt drives them to new lifestyle exigency, they hungry to learn about western habits... which also provide a good market opportunity for business man.

Since there is no licence required to celebrate Xmas, i think they are pretty good qualify to do whatever they want to do with it.... but for all of us the most important is to keep in mind that Xmas is family celebration.... maybe one day its will come also a public holiday in china...

Merry Christmas and happy New year to all of you.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Hong Kong Christmas ... lots of lights ... love that ... comparatively, Beijing is quite boring, even Shanghai is far more alive ...

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I don't really care if Chinese people celebrate Christmas or not. What irritates me is the automatic assumption that ALL Western people celebrate Christmas.

• Monica Jakobsen

lol how do u define celebrating christmas anyways.... do u mean by going to the church?....(didnt think so)

well  thats why in marketing, people took christmas out and is now Xmas. just incase u never knew the history of how xmas became sooo popular around the world... christmas it was originally celebrated by those who believed in jesus. then a group of american businese man came along, wondering if they could sell their product on a holiday like christmas. so they did it. then all the santa stuff came out.

so why not just look at it as the biggest marketing sales day.....

• Monica Jakobsen

well going back to the question wether chinese should celebrate christmas or not. i personally believe half of those china-born chinese who celebrates christmas doest know a thing about xmas cept santa, and those who knows the story dont celebrate. so like those up mentioned... just do whatever lol.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Yeah, my dad didn't celebrate Christmas till years after he came to the U.S. I think my sister brought it into our family from school. Could anyone tell me if (outside of Asia), this holiday is celebrated by many non-Christian, non-Americans?

• Monica Jakobsen

ming u made an erro on the date of the independence day.

• Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:

Is this essentially some sort of anti-Americanism? Christmas is celebrated in some form in most countries, regardless of Christianity and has been around much longer than the United States.

I'm sure you can attribute some of the blame to American cultural imports as for the popularity of Christmas these days on the mainland at least, but is it really a surprise that Chinese enjoy celebrations that involve gift-giving and general fun?

As China becomes more active on the world stage, it is likely Chinese festivals will become more popular worldwide too. The more celebrations the better in my opinion.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahha ... Peter B and Ed ... for a lot of Chinese, the world consists of China, and then there is the rest of the world (or simply, America), hence Xmas (or Christmas) must be celebrated there ...

Thomas ... oh, is that why it is Xmas? I always thought it has something to do with me ... heehee ... and the "American businessmen", must be the three kings from the East? so they are actually salesmen riding camels?

And as far as marketing sales day, in China anyway, there are quite a few: Spring Fest, Mid Autumn (maybe Dragon Boat Fest too), and one more for Dec is just one more ...

• N-Die 北京的法国人
  • Monica Jakobsen
    @ed legend i dont think im following what you are trying to bring on this forum... america has brought a very positive influnece on the xmas to around the world. people who are not christian look at xmas as more of a family gathering time,and whats wrong with exchanging gifts? in addition,xmas shopping has a direct impact on the global economy. i believe it was like 2008 when america was starting to experiencing the financial crisis. alots of factories shut down in shengzhen province because not enough merchandise was sold on that year of xmas. but i kinda agree with what u were saying on ur last line about chinese holiday will be more popular in the future.
  • Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

I hope time flies and we can get ready for New Year, which is something all human kind SHOULD celebrate without being bothered by anything or anyone. We shall let this Xmas dilemma go by then.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

• Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:

@ NYCZ_Thomas - certainly there's nothing wrong with exchanging gifts. I will obviously be celebrating Christmas myself and my Chinese friends are welcome to join in as international celebrations can only be a good thing in my eyes.

I was pointing out that it seems that the majority of those who are against Christmas in China are subscribing to anti-Americanism to some extent, yet Christmas has existed for a long time previous to the existence of the US. They can blame America if they must for its growing popularity on the mainland and the increasing commercial image of Christmas that most Chinese know, but it's not just an American festival.

• Asbjørn Myrvold

Easy solution: to celebrate anything you can for fun and buying nothing.

Do you think that the girl in the shop wants to sell you a cake if she has a choice? She has to. Just try to be a bit more caring and you'll have less to vent.

• Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:

Kate, I wasn't lifting your post to 'anti-american' or passing negative comment on your reasoning for not liking the trend, simply stating that a lot of people who don't like Christmas being celebrated here seem to be disagreeing on the level that it is American cultural influence and that automatically is a bad thing.

Religious roots or not, Christmas is just a fun celebration, which it seems many Chinese like the idea of. As long as it doesn't replace Chinese tradition, I don't see the harm in people enjoying it.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Glad to see there's a War on Christmas on this side of the Pacific.

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:
    WHY NOT?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... that calls for Band Aid ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... sorry, that was BA2, here's the original Band Aid ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

NYCZ, I quoted the source, which is correct. The national holiday was on the 5th this year, because the actual holiday occurs over the weekend. The same is the case with Christmas day, which you probably know is not on the 24th.

北京的法国人, assuming you're not the only one, then Christmas is an International non-religious holiday, so I see no reason why Chinese people shouldn't celebrate it if they want to.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    yes, why not.... !!!
  • Monica Jakobsen

acknowledged , my bad i didnt even realizee.

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

Wow...Red Baby baby baby...This is a very hard reading test you've given us. I wouldn't get more than 4/10.

• Monica Jakobsen

@xiao

lmao i totally agree wid chu lol well is something like" let me combine my dictionary words into a sentece"

• Ana K
    Ana K wrote:

i read most of the coments here and seriously guys...... do u have any IDEA what s christmas? the real MEANING? for u is just partying and having fun, y dont u go out everyday and have funb?! the truth is that chinese love to party when they know that there are a lot of foreigners..... but come on.... CHristams is not a PARTY!!!!!!!!!! thats a tradicional time of the year where all the christians get together with their family and have a nice time in the memory of someone that we call JESUS. if u dont know who is HE check on google, maybe u will find out.

SMTH else.... who wants to go in a club and find the place overcrouded with chinese drinking like hell and getting drunk and u cant find a place to stay cuz they take most of the places in the club..... (please no offence but i think you know how is it) i dont mind them.... but there is no point of going out and partying for something that u have no idea what is it....

u want a reason to party? invent something! we have 355 other days to party. U have new years eve, that BTW even that one is not a chinese holyday, cuz if it was we alll didnt have to go to work untill 5-6 pm .

Chinese have their Chinese new year, we dont celebrate it cuz we respect it, its your new year ....Happy New Year....

so nthng personal, but u cant be American ..... noone except them can be. so despite all the wish that u have there are some things that will never change. 

@莫明 Are you serious???!??!?!?!?!!? hahahahahhahahahah christmas is an American Holiday?????????hahahahahhahahaha can u pls go and check on wikipedia maybe u can find the origin..... or please define what u mean by AMERICAN HOLIDAY

anyways guys, was really nice to read your coments , but b4 u coment a topic, get some information.... it will never let u down. :):)

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR GUYS :*

• Simen Wangberg

"but there is no point of going out and partying for something that u have no idea what is it...."

Ummm. St. Patrick's Day.

"Chinese have their Chinese new year, we dont celebrate it cuz we respect it"

"We" don't? I don't know about you, but I'm gonna be eating 饺子 and shooting off firecrackers like a ma'fucka this year. Okay, maybe I don't "get" it the way Chinese people "get" it, but so what? I think you just have your panties in a bunch cos we made the baby Jesus cry.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

K.Ana, Yes, I have no doubt that you did misunderstand me. However, since I don't see how I could possibly be any more clear, I'm just going to repost what I wrote above, with the caveat that Christmas is not an exclusively American holiday, but it is an international, non-religious holiday, as demonstrated by the many non-Christians around the world who celebrate it.

莫明 wrote:

...the list of American holidays is linked, and copied below since .gov sites are often "offline".

http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2010.asp

Since U.S. law requires a "separation of church and state", we know that Christmas must be an American holiday, not just a religious holiday. Otherwise, this holiday would be grossly unconstitutional.

Friday, January 1 New Year’s Day
    Monday, January 18 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Monday, February 15* Washington’s Birthday
    Monday, May 31 Memorial Day
    Monday, July 5** Independence Day
    Monday, September 6 Labor Day
    Monday, October 11 Columbus Day
    Thursday, November 11 Veterans Day
    Thursday, November 25 Thanksgiving Day
    Friday, December 24*** Christmas Day

Also, I happen to know Jesus, in the biblical sense. He comes to me at night and felates me, and He told me personally that this holday has nothing to do with him. Although I can give you no proof of this whatsoever, Jesus told me that He demands you have unwaivering faith in His words, and that His words are passed to you who He does not felate by me and me alone.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Hey, K.Ana we celebrate Christamas in all the European countries too and we're a bunch of socialist heathen atheists... apart from Poland and Italy but they're just poor.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.