Discussion » Film & TV » The Social Network / 500.000 friends.com (movie)

• 小飞
    小飞 wrote:

Saw that movie yesterday. What a pointless piece of art!

The rich sue the superrich and in the end they create win-win situations for everyone, although the ones who "only" get a few millions don't see it that way...

Boring! A few nice scenes but all in all quite disappointing for the director of Fight-Club.

No constructive critizism against social-networks or anything like that.

In the movie it's said that the value of facebook is estimated to be 25 billion USD (wikipedia gives even higher numbers)!!!

What about the creators of this website? Do they still have to eat jianbing 煎饼 ???

• Charlotte Klemp

500.000.000 (friends) of course, sorry!

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I really liked it. Can't be bothered writing a lengthy review but I was really impressed, thought it was a way better movie than Fight Club (which is pretentious, and empty: just like the book!)

• Charlotte Klemp

Hmmmmm..., interesting! I can't agree less but why, in your opinion, is Fight Club pretentious?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Yeah, Fight Club has been shot with the entire pretence of appearing to be a "cult" or "indie" movie, when it isn't. I mean it went wrong when it chose to be an adaptation of such a terrible book.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It goes out of its way to be "edgy" and "dark" yet isn't actually either because it's too soft about it. It's just trying to create the experience for the viewer of having seen something that is out of the norm when in reality it just conforms to standards and avoids actually being shocking in any way.

All other criticisims I have stem from the book really, it's terrible plot premise, shit dialogue etc.

• Charlotte Klemp

Hmmm, I actually do not very much adore "dark" movies anyway. To me, the message and the emotions that were transported through this film, a little bit resembled "American Beauty" although these two pieces are pretty diverse from onother point of view. So considering the "dark" and "edgy" part I might agree with you. But, as I said, that was not my focus on it.

To the book: Have to admit that I've never read it...

What did you think about "The curious case of Benjamin Button"? I loved it!

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It was boring and dragged out. It had a lot of promise, and it started really well but everything after he left for the sake of the daughter just bored me.

My point was not that Fight Club is dark or edgy, only that it pretends to be when it is not. That's why I dislike it.

American Beauty is an incredible movie however.

• Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    I like Aaron Sorkin since STUDIO 60. I appreciate his sense of humor. I like the fact that he never gives up writing those ridiculous long lines just to embarrass dumb actors/actresses.
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Great dialogue, great acting and a striking commentary on what the world has become in the 21rst Century. Can't wait for the Twitter movie....

Admittedly, I haven't seen many movies this year (although I've probably seen more movies than I've seen in a year since 2007) this stands out as the best movie I've seen all year.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'd like to compare it to Citizen Kane, not just because of the parallels drawn between Charles Foster Kane/William Randolph Hearst and Mark Zuckerberg, but because David Fincher is usually on the cutting edge when it comes to using expressionistic film techniques to manipulate emotions. But I was rather disappointed. Hiring Trent Reznor to do the soundtrack wasn't good enough.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.