Discussion » Nonsense » Hot girls at work

• Jon Gu - 顾晓帆
    Jon Gu - 顾晓帆 wrote:

Just curious... do you women think that hot girls have a hard time being taken seriously in the business world in China? I know that it's sort of a problem for women in general all over the world, but is it worse over here?

Maybe I have sort of a messed up perspective on this, because I work close with a marketing agency that hires models, but I only see attractive women in 3 types of positions here: models, client facing marketing account reps, and receptionists. Never in any other business unit, like IT or accounting/finance or HR...

Is it because people are unwilling to hire attractive women for the more day-to-day business roles, or because attractive women don't apply for them? Any discrimination?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I think the way you are talking about this shows why there is still a problem. I mean, you're looking around thinking "damn, where are the hot women" which shows that you're basically not thinking about them as anything other than an ornament, or some sort of eye candy. I think this is a pretty prevalent attitude in China where women are still objects, and not people in their own right.

Girls still aren't rewarded for being smart, or preforming well at work, their only rewarded for being hot.

What the fuck happened to: “妇女能顶半边天” ?

• Joakim Berg Solum

Quite good point Kieran. But the question is still valid I think... It's not that I'm thinking "where are the hotties," it's more a question of "why are they all separated into two little departments of the company?" Do women here feel so objectified that they aren't taken seriously? Sometimes, even I feel like I'm objectified as a dude, but it's not quite in the same way.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

Thats not true at all

Almost every company i work in had more females than males in the accounting department. And most actually had a female manager for the acct. dep.

However, it is much easier for these pretty girls to be taken up by some rich chinese guy who will give them 4 times more cash every month, a place to live, and a little er nai che. That is the only way they will be able to save up enough money to help their family and get all the LV and Gucci that Chinese society says are a direct measure of their personal character and status.

Maybe when they put on all their adornments, and walk around sanlitun looking condescendingly upon the homeless people, they can just for a moment forget that actually they too were of such humble rural upbringings

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Why is that the "feel so objectified" that they aren't taken seriously? I think there is absolutely no doubt that they are definitiely objectified.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

Lots of graphic designers are female, doctors, dentists, nurses,

And there are so many contributing factors, dont forget many just don't get the same family support to succeed as boys. If we are talking rural girls, a lot of them are not in fact from one person families, and if she has a little brother, then its pretty much up to jie jie to GTFO of the villiage and make her own way if she wants to have a chance (which may end up in a red light shop down in LiDu)

In my experience here, a lot of Chinese guys want their wife to have a stable, secure job with some decent benefits like gov't work, teaching, accounting etc.

But of course with this generation of 80 hou'ers and 90 hou'ers the rules of the game have changed drastically

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

In order to help make up for this tragic prejudice against hot girls in certain departments, I promise that when I'm in charge of a large multinational company I will hire only incredibly hot Chinese girls to fill every conceivable role around me.

• Joakim Berg Solum

Ethan, save a spot for me would you?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Yeah, this thread is proof as to why feminisim is still completely relevant today.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I don't think anyone would argue that it isn't still relevant.  In America women still only get 77 cents for every $1 that a man earns, there are only 17 women in the US Senate out of 100, and there are only 75 women in the House out of 435 -- all of which are extremely embarrassing numbers that the US should be ashamed of.

But none of that changes the fact that I like it when chicks are hot.

Jon - you work with models.  If I'm going to save a spot, it's going to be for some poor sucker stuck teaching English to pimply junior high school students.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

The issue isn't enjoying attractive women, nobody (who isn't utterly insane) would tell you not to do that. It's more that it seems that women are only given any merit if they are attractive, and even then they're rarely respected by men.

• Rebecca Arnesen

i respect hot women

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It's hardly like this is the norm, but you can't tell me this kind of thing isn't fucked up:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/12-year-old-girl-applies-makeup-before-after-photos.html

The first paragraph has links to a bunch of stuff that I was going to cite before.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

a)study very much deformes the body... i only need to think in my teachers in the university

b)hot girls prefer pick a rich guy and avoid be a wage-slave in the life.... 

• Alban
    Alban wrote:

" Hot Girls" are not necessarily gold-diggers

the objectification as stipulated by Jon and other fellows is a reality. However from my own experience working with hotties in marketing , some of them were just experience seekers and their monthly salary could not cover up their weekly expenses.Being born in relatively upper middle class, parents could still afford to pay rent for them every month and pocket money.

And after a few years experience, Daddy or Mom finance their start-up company etc..

If these types of girls end up being rich dudes mongers, it's just because they have the visceral default of being promiscious...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.