Discussion » Nonsense » why do foreigners learn chinese?

• Themis
    Themis wrote:

i wanne know why you foreigners come to China to learn chinese?

we learn english because it's  an international language in intercultural communication。

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I learn it because it's difficult and I like a challenge. It's also the second most spoken language so it seems good on that account to.

Other common reasons seem to be: living in China so it's useful or for business purposes. Some people learn it because it's rising in popularity with China becoming more prominent internationally.

• Da Chuan
    Da Chuan wrote:

they sayin chinese lan will be international lang one day.but for some ppl like me who lives here for many yrs .we learnt it by streets .so its normal thing .

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

It's a common courtesy to try and learn the language of the country you live in. I didn't go to China to learn Chinese, but I did feel like I should at least make the effort to learn the language while I was there. Now that I am in Thailand, I am doing the same thing, although Thai is much harder and much less useful internationally.

• Simen Wangberg

"Themisfan Pls note:- New sentence should start with block letter ie;- I, instead of i and I guess you mean "wanna" not wanne"

The irony of posting this at the end of a very poorly written paragraph is making my head hurt. Don't be a twat.

"It's a common courtesy to try and learn the language of the country you live in."

Thank you. This, above all else, should be the best reason to learn Chinese if you're living here.

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

haha Why ? this is so easy question , China at moment is the No2 export country .China developing will effect all the world , this is why many foreigners come to china and study here work here even live here

Chinese more and more useful in everywhere ,as chinese everywhere. they have to speak the same language , if chinese can;t speak english then foreigners have to speak chinese .

All chinese should happy about this , All the world pay attention to china .

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I have to learn Chinese.  How else can I effectively spy on the Chinese government and plot the downfall of the communist party?  Duh.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

That last post was a joke by the way.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Sort of.

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

Well, I dint come here to learn chinese, but as I work here, I need to learn chinese for my living. But I'm not serious about it, but still its beneficial.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

"The irony of posting this at the end of a very poorly written paragraph is making my head hurt. Don't be a twat.

i f*cking love you, lol.

as for me, i didn't learn chinese. it was imposed on me through mind-infiltration and osmosis in slumber. i'm not joking either, i had a chinese flatmate who liked talking to me whilst i was asleep.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

"Because common sense dissuade me from going to Germany in order to learn Chinese.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I've never studied Chinese, even for a minute, but I've learned a bit here and there just to make survival a little easier.

I just don't want to end up like one of those dudes who relies on his Chinese girlfriend as a communications proxy.

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

but still i need to explain for you to the taxi driver how to go to my apartment, Dando Z....hahah

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Yuki,

Oh hush! If you'd've invited me over again that week, I'd've found the way on my own.

But you didn't. You never wrote or called.

*sniffle*

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

Sorry, poor kid, I planed to but just found no chance.

but I will...next time when she comes to my apartment. then the three of us can have fun again

lol.....

:)

• Peter S 李贝勒

chinese? why? cause of job and girls. This language is so beautifull to see and so ugly to listen...

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

so ugly to listen ????

sorry Pierre, but most chinese would think the sound of French is the ugliest...

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

.... i really doubt the vailidity of that statement yuki. As far as I know, a good amount of chinese would def. put french as no. 2 language they want to learn. Whether or not its for the guys or not, who knows.

I wouldn't call chinese "ugly" but i def. think that many dialects of chinese are not as nice to listen to as others.

Some of these small-dialects don't sound a bit like chinese, very loud and abrasive too. But maybe its just the people who speak these are a bit "rougher" than others.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

Chinese is probably the most interesting language i've heard b4 with all the different variations and everything

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

yep, the biggest amount of foreign language learning in china, besides English, would be French. But I personally think it is not because of the sounds of French but the other influence of french culture.

Anyway, sounds ugly or not is quite a subjective question...I personally want to study French years ago when I had a chance to visit Belgium, but my chinese friends there seems all hate the *h* sound in French...So I got the impression.

And for me personally, *rr* sound is one of the reason for me to study espanol, which i think it is pretty sexy.

• Peter S 李贝勒

@Yuki Inés

sorry, to be so hard but i really have some problem to hear the music that u have in chinese. Then I always think that latin languages have more music in. Italian and spanish are full of music, German is very hard and french is in between.

but it s just my ear who get it like that.

but as i said the graphism, the letter are full of something... when i was a child, i had the feeling that chinese was a kind of magical language who can only be write by magician or something like that. ;-)

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

What can I say, :) guess I have to trust mucisians' ears..

But I just love Chinese as a language so much...

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

If Pierre would have said "Chinese is like melody to my ears" French language would have got positive comments, atleast real comments, what they really think about French. I never heard a chinese diss about French language, Grow up people!!

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

unfortunetely, one year ago when i started to make friend with people here in this website, I remember it all started with some posts talking about foreign men and foreign languags...At least the girls in that post show some dislike on French, including me I would admit. But all those post are in Chinese.

This piece of memory brings me a question to Draven, how many chinese you know? Probably more than me, I don't know. I only talk about what I know from my really limited circle.

your assumption that somebody show doubts on French is purely based on childish eye-for-eye psychology is very...how to say...amusing. reminds me both my old days and some old melodrama.

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

I said "Grow up" that includes you aswell, Yuki. Again, becasue i said "Grow up" you call me childish. why dont you just admit? again you are being childish!

Dont you like french music? dont bring the accent, i never seen any chinese complaining french language, to them its romantic. Even you wouldn't if he dint mock you. You might have heard this thing from some foreigner and come and show it. Listen, if thats the fact just accept or dont, you dont have to bring wrong opinions and there are some people who doesn't know what to say, so they simply say "I agree with Yuki". God damn! Kidos!

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I really want to learn Uighur or Mongolian. They sound amazing. Loads of affricitave sounds.

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

I need to grow up, couldn't agree more. And maybe you need to take a look what other said before you make your judgement

I remember I just mentioned before: *yep the biggest amount of foreign language learning in china, besides English, would be French. But I personally think it is not because of the sounds of French but the influence of french culture.*

And now u ask me French music...romance ...?

to clarifym I like french in some occasions now. I cannot help thinking today the whole day of a sentence I heard from Trauffaut's movie Stolent Kisses. French was very beautiful there and I quoted today in my profile description. And I love Serge Gainsbourg(for your music question).

But what can i say? before we (my chinese friend and I) did talk about french about the *h* thing.  It is nothing to do with my opinion or facts, it just happened. 

What is that thing you call as FACT? The Fact belongs to no one, I cannot present FACT, you cannot, the will of majority does not equal to FACT either.  Could be wrong, my opinion, something is ugly is purely subjetive LIKE I SAID BEFORE.

like-or-not is not an opinion for god sake. Again, your logic is also amusing, just love it.

BTW, I don't remember I call you childish in any sentence....the opposite, i call myself...childish if you really glance a bit.

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

First let me tell you something, what was your comment right after Pierre's comment?

"sorry Pierre, but most chinese would think the sound of French is the ugliest..."

are you talking for chinese or its just you? who cares about the old threads, everyone talks shit, just like this one, it doesn't make any sense, so by a thread on WLIB, you cant assume that, its ugly.Dont talk about your comments later, someone gave you extra knowledge :)

Moreover, I actually dint mean you as you are in my friend list :P I was just talking in general, but you got trapped, which means?? U agree with me :)) 

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

*_____* ??

@____@ ??

Ok...whatever. You are right, Mr right.....

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

When native French speakers are speaking French, I think it probably is the most beautiful language in the world.  Every sentence sounds like a poem.  It is truly a language that seems to embody art and music in its basic form.

On the other hand, when native French speakers try to speak any other language besides French, it sounds like a shit-storm of awfulness.  French people have the worst accents when speaking English of any peoples on earth, and even though my Chinese is shit I can still tell that when a French person is speaking Chinese their accent is ridiculous.  I'm not sure why the French have such a hard time adjusting their accent when they speak other languages -- perhaps because they just don't care? -- but when I'm in a room full of French people speaking English I immediately get a headache.  :)

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I hear French people speaking Spanish is the worst.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ethan and Spire, LOL.

Personally, I learned Chinese to come here and have sex with Chinese people.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... 莫明 ... you liar, we know you love the language, esp when girls say to you "gan ba dare" ... oh wait, that's Japanese ...

Many decades ago, when Japad has a lot of cash to spend, there was a flood of Japanese tourists at most corners of Australia, and some of my friends actually learnt Japanese because of better job prospect ... so it looks like the next gen are learning Chinese for the same reason ...

One of my cousins went to Australia many years ago, and had completed a PhD in English Literature, but not easy to find a job, especially for a Chinese who speaks and writes better than the locals ...

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:
    why do you have that question?it's necessary and international language just like Amit 安鸣德said.China is becoming prosperous,important in the world,though it's still not rich now.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

DD, what's "gan ba dare"? "dare" is 誰, right? My Japanese is beyond rusty. I originally learned it so i could go there and have sex with Japanese people, but then it turned out that they only like people who speak Chinese. I thought that if Japanese like Chinese, Chinese would like it even more, so I went to China. In China though, it turned out that they only like people who speak English. I gave up and went home.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I just wrote the rough pronunciation based on the Japanese superhero tv series that I have been watching lately :)

By the way, how is home?

• xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx wrote:

First off, because i live in China, i guess its pretty important to learn the language if you wanna be able to communicate with the locals. Second, I am currently studying International trade in college and learning a foreign language is strongly encouraged. Third, its interesting to learn new languages.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... just finished today's work, so just for the fun of it ...

Themisfan ... ans: because they have nothing else better to do, other than selling cars or throwing "word bombs" against each other in your threads :)

• Simen Wangberg

"Please correct me where I am wrong. Thank you."

If you're good at something...never do it for free.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Mike ... who said that? It looks like it had been deleted ...

By the way, I help people for free because I like to do that, which means I suck at it ... hahahaha ...

• Simen Stensvoll

"If you're good at something...never do it for free. "

good comment
  • Marte Joahansen

For all the comments on this thread,

the former made the most sens..

even if it doesn'nt really highlight

us on why foreigners study Chinese.

I study Chinese because i could afford

one more language.

Besides the ease of exhibiting my

genetical blueprints wiv. reference to

the opposite sex.

If that's hard to comprehend,

SEX

and loads of easier sex.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    people free to talk here dont against each other. dont get people wrong, just have fun. (*^__^*) 嘻嘻…… JUnky : i think u r chinese. i dont like people get anything wrong about DD, even he will not care what u said.
  • Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    wlecome to learn chinese
  • Marte Joahansen

jenny&king...

I choose you for my new Chinese teacher.

I only need to learn a few more words.

And i'm serious here.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    hehe Clev : is the feel more words like "我爱你“? 哈哈 i just kidding.^^O(∩_∩)O哈哈~
  • Marte Joahansen

I kid you not.

"poker face".

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    Clev:i dont understand --"Poker face"、? ^ ^ any way u r welcome to me.
  • Marte Joahansen

"poker face"..could mean a face without expressions.

Anyways, the pleasure's all mine- my lady.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    yep yeap ^^ rest in peace
  • Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    but Clev, u r so far away from bj, nowdays i got somethins is dont lost things around u when u search far away O(∩_∩)O
  • Marte Joahansen

lol @ Mr. Incredible

does any one really

fuck mothers?

• Marte Joahansen

Jenny...u should have known by now..

It's Business,money and then Beijing.

I could almost always be around provided

I have a business to deal in Beijing.

Besides, you just became part of my

business.

• MichelleG
    MichelleG wrote:
    seems ,not much foreigner comes here for Asia cuturel , but most of them for chinese economic
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

..huh??.

Indeed. Well said, Mr. Incorrigible.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    yeap u r right Michelle-Qing-L, they want more than only just Asia cuturel,"有钱能使鬼推磨” money drives the ghost away.haha So Clev became apart of ur business can make momey right? u shouls pay me for teaching.^^(*^__^*) 嘻嘻…
  • Marte Joahansen

Never do for free...what u're good at.

provided U're good at it,

you just got yourself a job.

But, does the payment really

have to be cash?

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    hehe i prefer cash^^ so u see i have good talent of sales haha,business!!
  • Simen Wangberg

"it seems to me that you're just good at nothing..."

Look dude. If you want me to proofread and edit your posts to make them look like someone with a modicum of intelligence wrote them, I can do that. I charge 0.5 yuan per word. Let me know if you require my services.

• Marte Joahansen

@ Jenny & king..

Copied.

At this point,

I really would have us 

meet for mutual agreements.

U'ld make a sucessful business

lady afterall.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Mike ... only 50 mao per word? Did you consider the level of difficulty? I think you should charge more :)

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    clev: would love to, afterall u r my business.
  • Marte Joahansen

Cheers.

It would be nice doing business with you.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    Ok Clev one more thing u show know , our contract about last agreement , the time will run out , so will u renew a contract ,or just let me terminate of the contract ?
  • Marte Joahansen

that could wait until the business becomes real.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    so CLEV HOW LONG WILL TALK EXACTLY? noboay want to wait for a vision. the period can be long can be short. I think as a business man u know can not trust any promice without sign the contract,
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"If you want me to proofread and edit your posts to make them look like someone with a modicum of intelligence wrote them, I can do that."

• Marte Joahansen

lol @ figures of speech.

• Marte Joahansen

let down your "anchor"...with reference to varying speeches,

Islands could still remain hiding places.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    Junky ; U R NOT CHINESE , BUT UR WORDS MAKE ME FEEL U R,HAHA.=) IF U KNOW MORE CHINESE I THINK U WILL THINK ITS FUNNY THAN WHAT U THINK NOW, AND WHY CHINESE PEOPLE PAY MORE TO STUDY ENGLISH CAUSE ITS WORLD LANGUAGE TO JUST LIKE CHINESE NOW. ANY WAY PERSONAL APINION.
  • Simen Wangberg

"Someone like you that knows everything, with great intelligence charges only 0.5rmb"

Are you saying that you're willing to pay me more? Cough it up.

"only 50 mao per word? Did you consider the level of difficulty?"

My wizardry should command a higher fee, no doubt. Freelance proofreading/editing does tend to pay pretty poorly. I've had a tough time reeling people in if I charge (what I think to be) a "reasonable" fee. Cheapskates, all of them.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I once read from Robert T's "Rich Dad Poor Dad" (or some make-rich book) that in order to promote your business, you need to raise your fee and be hungry for a while ... I think you should consider that ...

• Simen Wangberg

Fuck dude, I'm already starving. I'm even thinking about going back to teaching part-time. Efffffff.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... if I know you were that desparate, I would have asked you to come work for us ... I needed a stand-by editor in case I am on holiday, or get killed or sold by Mr - Incredible ...

• Micky
    Micky wrote:
    Hey Mike, If you really wanna teach English ,.. Plz contact me. ..Cheers
  • Daniel Orellana

i learn chinese beacuse is becoming popular! chinese rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! english suckss

• MPA茉茉
    MPA茉茉 wrote:

chinese is easy to learn but hard to speak~~especially when you want to expressing the feeling exactly ~so no matter what reason ppl want to learn chinses ,try to join chinese group first...but ,seems forigners would like to stay in their own group and keep few chinses friends~~~so ,without understanding of china,no matter how much language skills you got ,you ll never really can speak perfectly about what you wanna say...........

by the way knowing china doesnt mean only knowing the problem of the contry or government ,it means know the people here,how they think and why, in a rational way.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Why not? One day China may be the everyone's home.When you think about how influential people may be even regardless of  the provincial digression,some may call China as a whole "home. Now what?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Besides the really basic survival stuff, the only Chinese I have any interest in learning is cultural jargon and concepts that are difficult to express in English but easy to express in Chinese.

Otherwise--and I know I sound like a totally obnoxious shitcunt for saying this--I actually like being a deafmute, no matter what country I'm in. If I were competent at speaking Chinese, I would be privvy to the most insipid and banal small-talk. I came all the way to this side of the planet to get away from mind-numbingly tedious "conversations" about health and the weather. Fuck all that! So hard! Sideways and with a rough little twist at the end!

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Why not? One day China may be everyone's home. When you think about how influential people may be even regardless of the provincial discretion, some may call China as a whole "home". Now what?

• Saint - Spartacus

while for set up all kinds of studios in china  , it's better to learn chinese , and for eat well everyday,  chinese is essential

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

I studied Chinese because I am deeply interested in Chinese culture, history, and thinking.  It is a challenge and makes me feel adventurous.  My innocent intrest in Chinese language, culture, and history has transformed into a feverish drive to compete in China.  I see a bright future in China and for the world.  I have said it many times and no one believes me that more people in China speak English than the entire population of the United States.  Since the Chinese are racing the United states to the top I feel that if I develop my career in China then I will be very valuable in the future when China directly opposes the United States within the world system.  

I am also extremely attracted to Chinese women.  Not all of them of course, but I do like a certain type.  If I only speak English then I would not have as many choices as I do speaking Chinese.  

I firmly believe that the future money is in Asia and in particular China and Taiwan.  Just look at everywhere the Chinese immigrate to.....  They crush the competition and climb to the top of the social system through hard work and determination.  Many people hate on the Chinese in other countries, but I think Its great. 

These things have made me thing very hard about what I need to do to improve myself.  I want to learn how to do business in China and it will be much more valuable than an MBA from the USA

Or in a word...... MONEY  "This is why i studied Chinese"

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.