Discussion » Nonsense » 84 ways of knowing if ure chinese.

• NYCZ_Thomas
    NYCZ_Thomas wrote:

lmao found this on the internet. cant say all of em r true.

84 Ways to Know If You're Chinese

1. You unwrap Christmas gifts very carefully, so you can save and reuse the wrapping (and especially those bows) next year.

2. You only buy Christmas cards after Christmas, when they are 50% off.

3. When there is a sale on toilet paper, you buy 100 rolls and store them in your closet or in the bedroom of an adult child who has moved out.

4. You have a vinyl table cloth on your kitchen table.

5. Your stove is covered with aluminum foil.

6. Your kitchen has a sticky film of grease over it.

7. You have stuff in the freezer since the beginning of time.

8. You use the dishwasher as a dish rack.

9. You have never used your dishwasher.

10. You keep a Thermos of hot water available at all times.

11. You boil water and put it in the refrigerator.

12. You eat all meals in the kitchen.

13. You save grocery bags, tin foil, and tin containers.

14. You use grocery bags to hold garbage.

15. You always leave your shoes at the door.

16. You have a piano in your living room.

17. Your parents know how to launch nasal projectiles.

18. You iron your own shirts.

19. You play a musical instrument.

20. You pick your teeth at the dinner table (but you cover your mouth).

21. You twirl your pen around your fingers.

22. You hate to waste food

a. Even if you're totally full, if someone says they're going to throw away the leftovers on the table, you'll finish them.

b. You have Tupperware in your fridge with three bites of rice or one leftover chicken wing.

23. You don't own any real Tupperware--only a cupboard full of used but carefully rinsed margarine tubs, takeout containers, and jam jars.

24. You also use the jam jars as drinking glasses.

25. You've eaten a red bean popsicle.

26. You bring oranges (or other produce) with you as a gift when you visit people's homes.

27. You have a collection of minature shampoo bottles that you take every time you stay in a hotel.

28. The condiments in your fridge are either Price Club sized or come in plastic packets, which you save/steal every time you get take out or go to McDonald's.

29. Ditto paper napkins.

30. You never order room service.

31. You carry a stash of your own food whenever you travel (and travel means any car ride longer than 15 minutes)...These travel snacks are always dried. As in not just dried plums, dried ginger, and beef/pork jerky, but dried cuttlefish (SQUID).

32. You own a rice cooker.

33. You wash your rice at least 2-3 times before cooking it.

34. You spit bones and other food scraps on the table. (That's why you need the vinyl tablecloth).

35. Your parents vehemently refuse the sack of gold coin oranges that their guests just brought just to be courteous.

36. You fight over who pays the dinner bill

37. Your dad thinks he can fix everything himself.

38. You majored in something practical like engineering, medicine or law.

39. When you go to a dance party, there are a wall of guys surrounding the dance floor trying to look cool.

40. You live with your parents and you are 30 years old (and they prefer it that way). Or if you're married and 30 years old, you live in the apartment next door to your parents, or at least in the same neighborhood.

41. You don't use measuring cups.

42. You feel like you've gotten a good deal if you didn't pay tax.

43. You beat eggs with chopsticks.

44. Your parents' house is always cold.

• Monica Jakobsen

45. You have a teacup with a cover on it.

46. You reuse teabags.

47. You have a drawer full of old pens, most of which don't write anymore.

48. If you're under age 20, you own a really expensive walkman if you're over 20, you own a really expensive camera.

49. Your mom drives her Mercedes to the Price Club.

50. You always look phone numbers up in the phone book, since calling Information costs 50 cents.

51. You tip Chinese delivery guys/waiters more.

52. You're a wok user.

53. You only make long distance calls after 11pm.

54. You know all the waiters at your favorite Chinese restaurants.

55. You like Chinese films in their original undubbed versions

a. You love Chinese Martial Arts films.

b. Shao Lin and Wu Tang actually mean something to you.

56. You have acquired a taste for bittermelon.

57. You like congee with thousand year old eggs.

58. You prefer your shrimp with the heads and legs still attached--it means they're fresh.

59. You never call your parents just to say hi.

60. You always cook too much.

61. If you don't live at home, when your parents call, they ask if you've eaten, even if it's midnight.

62. Also, if you don't live at home, your parents always want you to come home.

63. Your parents tell you to boil herbs and stay inside when you get sick.

64. When you're sick, they also tell you not to eat fried foods or baked goods because they produce hot air (yeet hay in Cantonese).

65. You e-mail your Chinese friends at work, even though you only sit 10 feet apart.

66. Your parents never go to the movies.

67. Your parents send money to their relatives in China.

68. You use a face cloth.

69. Your parents use a clothes line.

70. You're always late.

71. You eat every last grain of rice in your bowl, but don't eat the last piece of food on the table.

72. You starve yourself before going to all you can eat sushi.

73. You've joined a CD club at least once.

74. You know someone who can get you a good deal on jewelry or electronics.

75. You never discuss your love life with your parents.

76. Your parents are never happy with your grades.

77. You save your old Coke bottle glasses even though you're never going to use them again.

78. You keep used batteries.

79. You own your own meat cleaver and sharpen it.

80. You keep most of your money in a savings account.

81. You know what MJ means.

82. You've been on the Love Boat or know someone who has.

83. Your toothpaste tubes are all squeezed paper-thin.

84. You take this message and forward it to all your Chinese friends

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    85. You post the same shit on a forum 3x times in a row
  • Monica Jakobsen

3x? what u mean?

• Monica Jakobsen

oh lol i get it sorry haha

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

• Monica Jakobsen

internet is kinda lagging. well how do i remove the rest of two/?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Thomas ... you should talk to Jo or the twins ...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

87 you use a hair-dryer to dry your ass

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

86. you ask "where is 86"

• Monica Jakobsen

and how would u know that?

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

The gym

• Monica Jakobsen

lol!! no wayy u joking right haha? and they were doing this infront of u? is dat how u noticed?

• Marte Joahansen

ni shi na guo ren...?

the first question asked to every foreigner.

• Sasha 莎莎 Wang

its funny how none of these are true.

ugh stereotypes

• Simen Wangberg

A lot of these sound more like "you know you're a Chinese living abroad when..." - ?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Sasha, they're generally true of Chinese-Americans, not Chinese. I think this was one of those AsianAvenue lists back when people knew what AsianAvenue was.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

"43. You beat eggs with chopsticks."

I do this! And a few more...

Sasha - are you having an identity crisis? At least tell me you use a hair-dryer to dry your ass.

• Undermoonlight

Yes, some habits are disgusting...admit and get rid of them...it's good to "examine" yourselves from a different cultural perspective...I'm Chinese, by the way...

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

KTV KTV KTV !!!! Why its not in the list? :P

• Undermoonlight

Hey, you foreign guys also do lots of KTV stuff...and Kroeans, Japaneses--they were historically Chinese, but not any more...Actually, ordinary Chinese people don't go to KTV that often...what you see is just a small fraction of the entire population...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Undermoonlight ... "what you see is just a small fraction of the entire population" ... I am quite sure the same can be said about your mention of "you foreign guys also do lots of KTV stuff" ...

Draven ... hahahaha ... which TYPE of KTV were you talking about?

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

If its just a small fraction why in every corner I can see a KTV here, I dint say its bad, I just say Chinese people love to go to KTV.

I dont think the foreign guys here go to KTV to sing :P We have other activities to do there :)) What do you think Uncle DD?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Draven ... that's not fair, you are asking a brainless person to actually think? "Other activities"? I dont want to know ... hahahaha ...

I cannot say for sure, perhaps it is about the culture in China, but I have heard that a lot of business deals are done outside office, mostly at dinners, KTV, 天上人间, even "tea place" (I dont know how they are called) and "foot massage" palces ... could that be why there are KTV and "tea place" in many corners in Beijing?

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

@Underthemoonlight: you are so freaking wrong! Korea and Japan never were Chinese historically. Go back to your history lessons: China and Korea were Japanese!

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Saibo, I'm afraid you're mistaken. You cannot deny that Japan took control of China during the war of resistance against Japanese agression. Thus, Japan and Korea must be Chinese. Historically, these were one country, and of course it makes sense that they should all be considered part of the biggest one.

Just like how Manchuria defeating the Dutch for control of Formosa, and also taking over China, means that historically both Manchuria and Formosa are part of China.

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

"Historically, these were one country"! See we just agreed: they were all japanese!

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:

it seems you got nothing from this post.............

• Bing
    Bing wrote:

Historically,french were German,or British...

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

@Jane: the history lessons I had never talked about much thing happening in Asia prior to WWII. But anyway, you missed the point! I'll give you a hint so you can figure it out:if all of those countries were one, why should they be called China rather than Japan or Korea?

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

I just know japanese and koreans are almost the same as their DNA match 97%, but japanese and chinese are totally different.

• $currentuser.Username
    well that's the trodiational Chinese will do, but now lots of new Chinese will not do these anymore, they are becoming more international
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... JasmineYuan ... first of all, Happy Birthday ... but may I ask, how do you define "international", or even, "more international"?

• $currentuser.Username
    thank you uncle dingdang, haha I think international for the new Chinese people, well they may behaved like the foreigners, and they accept the culture and values of the western world, some of them had been study aborad when they come back to China,they become more western. that's what I thought~!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... you call that "international"? New Chinese people? Behave like foreigners?

Would it be correct if I say that. you think it is a good thing to be "international", or behave like foreigners?

And when you say "accept", which part of western culture did you really mean? American? Greek? Italian? British?

• Monica Jakobsen

guys i think is meaningless arguing about whether japanese should be chinese or the opposite. lets put it this way. the first human cilivlization started in africa. and slowly a group of people settled in asia, which is known as the asians today. during the civlization in asia, there were war that was fought. and the two different dynasty named their nation china and japan. so doesnt matter what we are today, we all come from the very same ancestor.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... you mean we were all once black?

* stone throwers ... ready ... aim ... fire *

• $currentuser.Username
    well dingdang, I don't think to be more international is bad or good, anyway it depends on yourself, if u like western world then u can behaved like foreigners, but you shouldn't forget your coutry,and i referred the culture means all kinds of cultures from Europe America and Africa
  • Monica Jakobsen

lmlao u yeah just like that, but is true tho.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... JasmineYuan ... I am just curious, what do you perceive as "western", because there is a bigger world out there than American :)

... and considering I have grown up in (what you might consider) one part of the "western world", I dont think it is bad, but it is not not perfect ... like many other parts of "western world" ...

Also, your saying of "if u like western world then u can behaved like foreigners", hahahaha ... I have to ask, have you lived overseas before?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I just know japanese and koreans are almost the same as their DNA match 97%, but japanese and chinese are totally different.

A 3% genetic difference? I think that's the difference between a human and a banana (ok maybe just a chimp). AFAIK the genetic difference between different types of human is less than 1%, which is a clear indicator that originally all humans are a crossbreed between The Creator and a Korean.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Difference between people is something crazy like 0.01%

• NN
    NN wrote:

20. You pick your teeth at the dinner table (but you cover your mouth).

---- This is quite true,and made me laugh.

84. You take this message and forward it to all your Chinese friends

---- Not sure if this is only happened on Chinese?But I do fucking hate people copy the same shit and post everywhere,and says if you dont forward it to 3 or 6 of your friends bla bla,then you will bla bla.Jesus,I would hope there can be something creative instead of.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.