Discussion » Travel » Expatriate/international students: do you feel dif

  • Jojo
    Jojo wrote:
    someone says he feels 'free' becasue his negative reputation would be easily wiped out once he moved out of here.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Yeah. A couple years ago I quit a job because the racist company wouldn't hire an Indian guy. (normal morality level)

    A couple months ago I helped a racist company hire an American guy because he was American. (impaired morality level)

    Stay too long and the moral stench of the place rubs off.

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Since coming to Beijing I often consider murdering people.

    Is that what you mean?

  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    what is your point of this thread?
  • StrawberryIceCream

    I learnt something new from Mafalda. Maybe he is telling the truth.

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Mafalda, I agree with you, with the caveat that it applies to locals, not just foreigners. So, stay away from everyone here, because they're crazy.

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Mafalda, from your response I take it that you lived in China for longer than I did.

    Most people who aren't from the thrid world would be pretty disgusted by the notion though. How would you feel if no one would hire you because everyone thought of Chinese people as too immoral to work?

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    I think people's morals are just a reflection of what makes sense to get along in a river crab society. What is moral in the Saudi Kingdom is different from what is moral in PRC is different from what is moral in UK.

    Only an asshole would yell out "waiter!" at a London restaurant, but almost all of us have yelled out "服务员!" in a bad Beijing restaurant. Sometimes you even see an uncultured rich peasant yell at a waiter in a good Beijing restaurant where it's not necessary for service.

  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

    “If you see yourself acting, speaking and feeling differently, then maybe your morals are not what you thought they were in the first place. ”

    Well said!

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... I need a 5-min break from work. and I have run out of Kit Kat ...

    Till this date, I still think that if I am not and dont look Chinese, I would have got paid better over the years I have been in China, and the bleach from supermarket does not work well ...

    I remember we had an interesting discussion here about "服务员" in this forum about one year ago, with the conclusion that most people think it is OK ... I have tried to remind myself not to say that most of the times, and I have done OK, but I cannot escape from the "shoulder" thing and subway gung fu ...

    Mafalda ... "racist" had been an issue in China for many, many years (even centuries), though not in the same form you might have heard of ...

    My five minute up ...

     

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    I find I rape less than I used to

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Yeah, but it's got nothing to do with being in Beijing specifically.

    Large cities, international cities especially, are perceived as less moral than towns, but it's only because the population fluctuates so much and outsiders are far from the judging eyes of their family and childhood friends. Reputation doesn't matter much under these circumstances.

  • G
    G wrote:

    Absolutely yes!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc