Discussion » Beijing Life » What is Beijing's nightlife scene missing?

• Remon
    Remon wrote:

What do you think Beijing is missing in terms of its nightlife scene? Basically, what do you feel Beijing is lacking in terms of its clubbing and bar hopping scene?  

E.g. with White Rabbit and Lantern closed is there a lack of places with dance music etc.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

beijing needs the subway to continue until about 2am. thats what it really needs.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I am not a nightcrawler of any kind, but I agree about the transportation ... the night is very dead because a lot of people wants to go home early to avoid paying for taxi ... "liberate" the subways, and have more night-till-dawn bus lanes ...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

sometimes i get stuck at the office late and must taxi home.

its really expensive. i wonder how a chinese can manage it because salary differences i can afford it but my chinese friends could never do it.

so its really shitty

also if you go to xizhimen around 10pm its closed. so you have to go out to dongzhimen and around if you use line 13.

maybe the good ol' folks at propaganda could petetion for this? i mean there are plenty of good people there right? ;)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... taxis are cheap compared with running your own car ... unless you live too far away, then that's a separate matter :)

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

but if you have to do it often. its really expensive.

yes, having your own car is NOT CHEAP nor having one within the 4th ring road considered to be wise.

wow i look so cool with my VW or BMW in traffic. wow all the chicks think im cool.

look at my car. its moving 2km an hour !!!

sb

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... we are "movers", so we are flexible with where we live relative to where we work, as long as we are close to a subway, and dont work too late ... and then, taxi from office to home is only 30 yuan per trip ...

Q: you must live far?

• Simen Wangberg

"It's just a show off place, don't you dare to dance or have fun listening music. D'oh. At the end, Beijing is lacking nightlife people and there I'm excluding those drunk students puking all over the SLT/WDK after midnight thinking how great Beijing is for fun."

Poseurs live in every city, man. What are "nightlife people"?

All I know is that I have 200% fun with my crew every time we hit the streets, and we don't drop a buttload of money to do it. Is there some higher echelon of fun that we're missing out on or something?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Beijing's nightlife is missing something very crucial, but it is not what what the kids upstairs are bitching about.

What this city lacks are inexpensive and strategically-located 24 hour greasy spoon diners in the mode of Denny's or Steak 'n' Shake, where people can go after a long night of drinking. Don't get me wrong; there are plenty of Chinese restaurants that're open all night. But what "nightlife people" really need to maintain their decadent lifestyle is a place where aloof waitresses serve breakfast food at inappropriate hours. Nothing puts the kibosh on a hangover quite like a skillet breakfast in the middle of the fucking night.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I take it that some of you guys miss home?

• Simen Wangberg

"What this city lacks are inexpensive and strategically-located 24 hour greasy spoon diners in the mode of Denny's or Steak 'n' Shake, where people can go after a long night of drinking."

I was lamenting this fact Saturday night after we left D-22 - we settled for McDonalds. Opening an all-night diner will be my 2nd cash cow after I've finished building my plus-size clothing emporium.

Seriously people getting all kinds of fat over here. There is money to be made.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

STEAK AND SHAKE!

Going home in 8 days.......

Chocolate malt milkshake + frisco melt = orgasm in my pants

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

What about Jimmy John's Sub Shop from the U.S.? Do you think chinese would dig it? Subway is basically controlling the entire cold-cut market right now with no obvious competition.

• Simen Wangberg

I would murder a JJ's sub every day for lunch if they moved over here. But I don't think they have many restaurants outside of the midwest, let alone internationally. I could be wrong?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that might be an opportunity ...

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

This idea came to me one night after I dreamed about a turkey tom sub..... you might call it a prophecy.

Yeah i've already checked into it. I mean the problem is that if you want to open a franchise over here, you would also need to open the bread factory, find people to make cups, napkins, and everything else. Advertising.

Thats a lot of cash just for one restaurant. After you got 3 or 4 running its not a big deal.

One of the premier advantages of franchising is the "Pay and play" style where the corporate HQ handles all the national advert. manufacturing, machine repair, etc. Opening one over here would require doing everything from the ground up.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

Lol shit.... But there is still the problem of the abbreviation being "JJ's"

Do you think Chinese people could take a sub shop with the abbreviation of JJ's seriously?

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

I mean.... eating a penis shaped sandwich at a shop with "JJ's" written on the glasses...... I dunno if chinese would take to it so well

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... you will be surprised what some of them might try ... if JJ does not work, try GG :)

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Beijing could definitely use a nudie bar or two.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha 。。。 I think they are there, just look for places with lots of old fat drunk Chinese guys, who lifted their singlets and exposed themselves ... perhaps not in winter though :)

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

DD haha that is classic.....

I think fat guys dancing with no shirts is prob. more of a dongbei specialty.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... we were talking about this last Saturday over dinner, one friend of mine was visiting Hong Kong, staying at a hotel, and some Chinese guy came into the elevator, wearing ONLY thermal underwear (those really tight ones) ...

1. this is Hong Kong, thermal underwear is really not necessary ... though, a lot of hotels in Hong Kong are very generous with their air cond ...

2. if it was any warmer ... it might be like one of those frat parties in US?

... oh, by the way, I think nudie bars are possible in southern provinces ...

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

If you miss Lantern and White Rabbit, try Yue or The House.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

What it's missing is people. Partying still hasn't taken off as a passtime for many people other than ex pats and rich kids. Of course, there are exceptions but not so many.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Seriously, strip clubs are missing:) I remember sometime in Manila moving from Miss Univers to Quiapo somewhere there. I don't forget Los Angels

• Simen Wangberg

Holy shit, no. That's totally it though. A shop called "JJ's" with giant penis-shaped sandwiches. That would not only work in China, it would ONLY work in China. This is the moneymaker.

• Pernille Nordlie

Btw for the White Rabbit replacement check out the acupuncture nights at House (next to mix) Yue ...YU.. watever just opened on lucky street similar to old White Rabbit.. and Punk Hot Pot nights are good..

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

Normal and real people. That's what Beijing's nightlife is missing. Oh and that's what Beijing's daytime is missing too by the way.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

as I have mentioned before, there are very few places you can go in Beijing to meet hermaphodites.

Real downer...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Xiao wrote "Normal and real people" ...

Q: what does it make the people in this thread? or even this forum?

If we are out there, "enjoying" the night life, then we are NOT normal ...

If we are not out there, but complaining here, then one might ask "why are you not out there" ...

• Charlotte Klemp

Haven't read this thread entirely but what I do miss are places with a decent mix of music that includes alternative, 60's, 70's 80's rock, some new stuff, some folk and so on but not always that one-sided house-. hiphop-, electro-, punk-puree.

I'm not a nightlife-maniac so if someone can proof me wrong, you're welcome!

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

People on this forum are normal and real in a more special way.

• Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:

kebabs

• Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:

a brothel

• SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:

Comepared with ppl in England, there're less drunk and wild ppl in clubs in beijing...hahaha

• Simen Wangberg

"Some fire show by the bartender on the dance floor when the fire flames are almost reaching you would be great to watch. Plus some singers or bands..."

They used to do this in a few different clubs around the city, don't remember any specific ones though. Ask around maybe.

And how do people still not know where to find live music in Beijing? Is this really like a super-difficult thing? There's at least ten venues that offer a wide variety of live music, you can find jazz or shitty blues-rock or punk or weird shit or whatever. It's all here, half of it sucks and the other half is decent, just like any other city anywhere. Fuck.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.