Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » makeout...

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

that's the slang I learnt recently ...

I thought this meant understand when I first see this word.....=,,=

tell me some common used slang... it will be awkard if i use them wrongly..

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

ok.. godfather.. thank you :p

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

*facepalm*

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    Dando facepalm = shy reaction? Astaroth Suck face is quite easy to understand compare to makeout..
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Facepalm is Internet slang. To facepalm means means you cover your face with the palm of your hand, usually in reaction to someone else saying something stupid. Either you can't quite think of a logical response or you can't be bothered to, so you just facepalm and walk away.

In this case, it's GodFather's mangling of English idioms and expressions.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

The best references for English slang on the Internet is Urban Dictionary.

BTW, it's "to shoot from the hip". Not hip shooter. And it means to do something without careful planning or preparation. It refers to the act of quickly drawing a pistol from a hip-mounted holster and firing without aiming, like in cowboy movies.

Maybe I was too harsh on GodFather. I shouldn't blame him for shooting from the hip, especially since English isn't his first language.

• Simen Wangberg

He did hit on the correct definition of "history" and "hole up". Is this turning into WLIBJ English Corner? I would be okay with that.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Sure, if you ask for the literal meaning of history and not the slang meaning: dead, finished, over. "My wife caught me cheating and now we're history."

Okay. Fine. Let's wax pedantic. About slang.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    I love these samples.. that made these slangs easy to understand.. Dando you have the good protential to be a teacher not necessary to teach English tho.. Quite logical... Slang is funny stuff...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"Dando you have the good protential to be a teacher not necessary to teach English tho"

I'm sure my English students would say the same thing.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

GodFather,

I'd rather advise you to go drink from any of the containers of fluids located under your kitchen sink.

"Hip-shooter" would mean a person who fires bullets at another person's hip.

"To shoot from the hip" is totally different, as it includes those tricky little prepositions and articles which give your listener clues as to the relations between the words you're using. Moreover your definition was too narrow. The idiom actually means to do anything without preparation, not just talking. It's only "the same" by moronic equivocation.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

No, I'm just a grammarian. There are others.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    Dando must be a blood type A person...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Ms. Stephanie,

Hahaha. I'm afraid I'm not so sharp about Japanese blood type divination. That means I'm stodgy and anal-retentive, huh?

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    no no no... Type A ppl are sometime willful, decidedly, picky when they are young.. and obviously you are not young anymore..then your personality is truning to cagey towards ppl... Frankly speacking, type A would be a stubborn old guy in the end .. ... no offence.. cuz i m type A too.. =_=
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm actually AB.

But it's a fair assessment. I do so enjoy standing at my door in bedclothes and yelling at neighborhood kids to stay off my lawn.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    oh well. Contradictory... AB
  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    what does that suppose to mean here? dog? like buddy?
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I don't grope chicks on the train, Astaroth.

I wait until there's a bump and I pretend to fall on them dick-first.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    The argument is never ending... ....
  • Kent Bekkavik
    Kent Bekkavik wrote:

One's called hip-shooter, if he likes shooting on hips. Doggy style. You moronic woozles...

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

TL;DR

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Snow, Yes. It will be on the exam later.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Ekki, That's a good one. It means Too Long; Didn't Read. That is, the posters upstairs are so pedantic, senile, or stoned that you cannot be bothered to read their tangential rants.

I will now give you all some new slangs of These Internets and their usages. If these are difference of what you did knew before, I remind you English slang change every years. This beta version of 2011 edition, I have advance copy.

LOL - Laughing On-Line; type this if you want to laugh, but you are at work and your boss may be listening for signs of fun, so you can only laugh on-line.

WTF - Want To Fuck; use this if you are surprised, astonished, and confused. Sexually.

OMG - Oh My Gaga; I don't understand this one on account of my age. It is a reference to a particular figure in popular culture. The silly-looking singing lady on the TV, the kids say she has a penis? Pics or it didn't happen.

BRB - Butt Really Burns; say this if you ate spicy Mexican food last night and you suddenly get the urge to use the bathroom. You will be away from the computer for a few minutes. This is polite.

OP - Old Person; use this as a sign of respect to the person who started the discussion topic.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    Snow wrote: Posted 11 hours ago do i have to read all this crap? anyway, love the title! hahhahhahah.... oh, you dog.... (am I using it right Dando?) LOL isnt the meaning of Laugh out loud??? WTF =what the fu**?
  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    ... .... She? He.?... ....
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Stephanie,

You used it correctly, but differently from Astaroth. He used "dawg" as a form of address, like buddy or pal. When you say "You dog!" as an interjection like that, it's more of a playful insult for someone who is being a color wolf.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

I believe it is She is a freak.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    I find this thread very interesting.... Thanks Dando and all others :)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I dont think so ... OP is in the house ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

No one ate my trollbait.

I are sad.

:(

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    -_- lonely fishman... be patient...
  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    ahahhaha.... my makeout did wrok... it works all time actually..
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Indeed. Your milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    well, not all. I have to be a milktea to bring you to the yard ... lol
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Ms. Stephanie is taking the piss out of me because I like milk tea like a pansy girly-girl.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Suppose we did. Is that such earth-shattering news that it warrants cross-posting to four different threads? Your life must be pretty boring.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

I love sisterhood...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.