Discussion » Nonsense » What's the life in the US?

• Jane
    Jane wrote:

Someone told me that USA is not really hard to live,and if u want to go abroad,it is not difficult,even no need too much money,in the US,if u study abroad,it is still easy to find a part -time job,and now it is more easy for Chinese,is it true?can anyone tell me the truth?thank u!!!

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

Chinese everywhere... easy to find a PT but hard to get a good one...  I think China has huge potential right nw....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Q: Jane ... where in US? Like China, different states and cities are different ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Jane, I don't know what you mean when you say "study abroad". Do you mean non-Americans studying in the U.S., or Americans studying overseas?

Tuition for foreigners in the US is between 20,000 USD and 50,000 USD a year, depending on the program. Cost of living is between 10,000 USD and 25,000 USD, depending where.

I think that work-study (you work part time for the school) pays ~10 USD an hour, if you can get the chance.

If you want to live at the level the people who make 1500 RMB/month in Beijing do, but you want to do it in the U.S., maybe you can do it for $200/month. You might die of malnutrition though.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... just curious ...

Back in Oz, most of us work on weekly (income and rent), fortnight (actual pay check) and yearly (annual income), seldom monthly ... 莫明 ... do you guys work on a weekly, fortnightly, monthly or yearly basis?

• REIKO
    REIKO wrote:

bullshit= =!

it's hard to find a job no matter how good your grade and how much working experience you have. 

you need to study really hard, well, you still have some part-time job opportunity but international student are not able to get pay until your have Social security card.

besides, study will take most of your time, you don't want to have a part-time job at the same time. 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Jane ... I cannot answer your questions about USA, but if I could perhaps answer it from a more general angle:

Make sure you always do your fact finding from more than one source, even if you might have heard this from someone whom you have known for many years (I have made that mistake when I was deciding about coming to Beijing, and someone close to me told me how easy it would be to find a job here) ...

Please remember that different people have different backgrounds, different lives, different circles, even different fates, so one person's success in USA might not reflect the general truth ...

Another thing, the tone of your "questions" seem to revolve around "a better life" or "easy way out" (if I am wrong, sorry) ... this actually sounds very familiar, as this was commonly heard in Hong Kong 30 years ago ... my advice, if you choose to listen, is that you should not do this, as this often does not have a happy ending ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I work for my uni and they pay my tuition and stipend, I live a quite comfortable life here. But...hey girl, such a chance is pretty low, esp. for international students. You really need to get sth worth their money, or the only job you may get is serving plates at dining places - u need to know basic english of coz, and u also need to compete! The umemployment rate here is as high as 10%, and it is very likely that the figure is as high as 20% if u count all the temp workers in -- they are not happy, and if they are not happy, generally they blame 3 parties: 1-Obama, yeah, the stupid showman; 2, immigrants, and 3, Chinese who took their jobs away (yeah, stupid people are everywhere, all of them would rather believe gov's propaganda), so why do u think u can get a work here and a H1 vise? If u got a PHD/master offer with full scholarship, then come; if u r rich, I mean 40,000-60,000 grands USD a year is nothing to u, then come. If not, I really don't know why u wanna come. food here sucks, and entertainment here sucks unless u got much more money. Seriously, why u wanna come? It's a much more fair society compared with China's society, but hey, you are a foreigner their, and unlike in China, Americans don't buy a tiny shit to foreigners.
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

还是在帝都好

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    从他妈娱乐的角度,东亚的这几个一只手数得过来的城市,基本上是人类娱乐文明的巅峰了,擦
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

And not only are there two cars parked in every drive way and garage, but also every household has a unicorn for a valet.

It's not really as nice as it sounds. His hooves are a bitch on the upholstry.

• MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

我想去歌舞伎町。。。

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    你想去日本玩儿点儿“深入”的?那你得会日语。日本姑娘可不买英语的账~
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

找李晓牧罩着点儿咱们同胞。

btw:baga 算日语么?哈

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    不知道,我只知道三个词儿:yamete, kimochi, hatukashi...别的一律不会...
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

岛国的启蒙片儿做的贡献很大。

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    我很敬佩她们,她们为我国中学青年的性启蒙教育做出了不可磨灭的贡献。
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    “I will try to get the full scholarship,if not I won't go” -- good for you~
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    btw, a tip: Chinese gov. has a list like a list of "recognized universities". the list is quite "generous" actually, so you'd better make sure that the uni you're gonna go is in the list
  • Malin Amanda Hansen

As far as I feel, life QUALITY in US is much better than that in China.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ...  Jane ... "I know the best place to study is the US which is for the best universities" ... not sure from where you heard that from, but good luck to you :)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

DD, bills are all paid monthly here. Paychecks are either bi-monthly (the kind that means the 1st and the 15th, not every-other month) or bi-weekly (the kind that means every-other week). We don't accept the term "fortnight" here. We only discuss salaries in annual terms (except of course as you know we never discuss salaries).

Seriously, who the fuck invented "bi" as a prefix that has opposing meanings? Just like the suffix "ious", the only good "bi" word is bi-curious.

Jane, as far as I know the U.S. universities are the world's most expensive. Also, we're really poorly educated compared to the average Western European. If you are looking at schools I would suggest the U.K.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... probably someone "bi-cur-ious" invented "bi" ... bad joke, it's Friday ...

• Simen Wangberg

"The amreican dream has become a nightmare nowadays."

Out of all the stupid shit that you've spewed on this forum, a diamond in the rough.

There is a reason for the large influx of foreigners to countries like China. Highly educated, qualified and talented people are choosing to live here, out of all the places they could choose to live. Ponder that for a moment.

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

Don't ever go somewhere just because it's "not hard to live". I would go somewhere if I truly want to go. Like Combodia, Laos, Africa, Iraq. It might be hard to live in those places but I know I would have so much fun there. But if I go to the states for example, it's "not hard to live" but it might be hard for me because it's just not my place. So maybe you should ask the 8-year-old you the same question and then decide where to go. =)

FYI, I just had my haircut so I might sound all weird and creepy.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Xiao ... Don't ever go somewhere just because it's "not hard to live".

I was once told that Beijing is such city ... hahaha ...

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

Hahahaha(I definitely got infected with your hahahaha), I must say whoever told you that must hate you to death.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... this person is watching tv next to me ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

You should get that treated before it develops into a case of full blown LOLs.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... interesting? I found it via www.soso.com ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Huh? The form? The content?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Its just like anywhere else, acquire skills on the job and off. Not only do you need more than one specialization; you need people skills as well. Good Luck :), since it will soon be that way every where and to anyone whom is trying to land on the tip top of them mountains.Yet, meet us halfway for the middle he.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.