Discussion » Beijing Life » Beijing Weekday Nights

• Ensō
    Ensō wrote:

Simply I can't escape that feeling, Beijing is quite dead Mon-Fri.. So poor for 20mil ppl city. Does this classify as 'Metropolis of Boredom'?

• Camilla
    Camilla wrote:

Haha, sure u don´t stay home nighttime monday to friday?! 

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    after exactly one month, I didn't know what to do in Shanghai, HK, Tokyo, NY...etc..."same thing for year" :(
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    errr..."internationally recognized happenings"...what's that? u mean Lakers' game? got it, I love LA Lakers, they won the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    and..."...faster..."?? do u mean that the next time a pianist should better play Liszt's Liebestraume No.3 at the pace of Master of Puppets?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I think it is like saying Hong Kong is not for everyone, or Sydney (Australia in general) is not for everyone, and I would say the same that Beijing is not for everyone either ...

My rough interpretation of what you were talking about is, the city does not match your lifestyle, and the keyword is not "lifestyle" but "style" ... which is a matter of choice ...

This city, for all intended purpose, is not (and will never be) proclaimed as a "entertainment" city or even similar, and the nightlife as you see it, is pretty much all you can get ... you can trust me on the fact that 30 years ago, it was not that much fun :)

• Simen Wangberg

If you're bored in this city on any given night, you've probably never left your apartment building. Plenty of shit to do if you're willing to read up, ask people and get out of your house.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I am sorry, you are correct that I might have got you wrong ... so were you talking about basic night life such as restaurant and shopping?

If that's the case ...

One thing we need to appreciate, perhaps, is that the public transportation goes to sleep around 10 or 11, including subway and about 90% of buses, though some buses do operate through the night till dawn ... and as such, most service-providers have to shut down around 9pm so that their employees (who is not paid enough to afford taxi) can catch the bus or subway to go home ...

Once, we went to dinner at Xiu Shui (Silk Street) around 8pm, and was hoping to buy some clothes afterwards, but instead of being "pulled" to inspect merchandise when we went inside, we were in fact "flooded out" by the crowd of people rushing to go home ...

As for restaurants, you could find that most of those switch off around 8:30, maybe except those that provide staff quarters ...

Q: is this kind of what you were talking about?

• Simen Wangberg

Shopping? Ask any chic off the street what "fun" is. They'll tell ya. Big-ass bag of goods in one hand, and some dude's credit card in the other. GET SOME FUN UP IN HERE.

Look man, what are you looking for, exactly? Winter's coming, so yeah, shit's gonna get slow. There's still a buttload of concert spaces/galleries/clubs/etc to hit up on a Friday night.

Cruise out to 798 and peep some sculptures. Roll over to 13 Club and check out Beijing's metal scene. Or just take a stroll around the middle of the city and check out some hutongs. Do whatever - just do something.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... I am so so sorry to have made you sad, hope you feel better soon ...

Mike ... Dando had been asking about you in that other thread, go check it out ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.