Discussion » Nonsense » Crossing whole china on foot.

• Psychonaute
    Psychonaute wrote:

Hello everbody,

I'm Killian and with a friend Thierry, we began, 2 years ago now, a world tour on foot. Today, after 8000 kilometers walked, we are in Kazakhstan and, slowly,  we are getting closer from China. For more details about our journey, you can check our website www.toutenmarchant.com.

As we are walking we need 1 year to cross China from the Kazakhstan border to the Laos border. So one year mean a long-term visa. We already began to collect some informations and the best solutions, for us, to stay long time in China seems to get a student visa (X), because as far as i know it's the only visa which don't requite to leave the country every 90 days except may be the work permit visas (Z) which impossible to get for us.

So we need to find a school which could help us to get a student visa but the delicate point is that our budget for this expedition is limited and we can't afford to pay the 5000 or 6000 RMB for one year tuition and moreover will not be able to show up to those lessons. As I said we don't have a very big budget, but as we are traveling for a long time, we caught the attention of some journalists in different countries. A french radio follows us periodically and some TV channels already came to film us for few days, and it will probably happen again.

Though, we can offer to this school a kind of free advertisement. We can put a link on our website and talk about them on some medias in exchange of the time they will loose in the administration process to send us all the documents needed for the obtention of this student Visa.

So if you have any contact in mandarin school or just know any school who could be insterested and motivate to help us. please just let us know.

We should reach the Chinese border around february 2011, so we have to find a solution before this date.

So, that's it, If you think you can help us in any way, with contacts or ideas we didn't have feel free to contact us. As we are currently walking in the steppes of Kazakhstan our reply could be delay

Thanks a lot to all of you !

Thierry & Killian

• WENwen
    WENwen wrote:

visa is getting more and more troublesome for foreigners, especially for French.....can you directly go to Chinese government the Central Propogada department and say you can do more ads for them? have you tried French embassy?

• WENwen
    WENwen wrote:

Please try

National Tourism Department http://www.cnta.com/

Foriegn Expert Affairs Department http://www.safea.gov.cn/ 
    Maybe you can teach english/french while walking in China.  If you can do more for the government, the government may give you a visa....

Or contact some influential media, like Xinhua News Ageny, CCTV....http://www.xinhuanet.com/  http://www.cntv.cn/  if they are interested to report your voyage, they may have the way getting visa for you.

• WENwen
    WENwen wrote:

I really don't think you can get a student visa within such a tight schedule.....Please contact your embassy to seek help.  You konw Chinese government just bought many new A320 airplanes from your country, so the China-France relationship may get better now.

• WENwen
    WENwen wrote:

Another idea!

Go to a travel agency in China and persuade them to hire you as you can write articles and take photos for the whole trip.  If they hire you, you can get working visa.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Kudos. Steve Fonyo ran across Canada on one leg, so crossing China on foot should be no problem...and a lot more fun.

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Hey guys, that's a very impressive project!

One more thing you might want to look at is if it is actually legal and possible to cross the Chinese border by foot. I remember the story (but not the name of the author nor the book...) of a guy who tried to walk the way of some people escaping the russian goulag and going through China but was stopped because it was not allowed to cross the Russian-Chinese border by foot, so he had to take a plane to China and come back to the place where he was about to cross the border and start again from here.

You might also try to contact Bernard Ollivier who walked the silk road, so he's had those problems too and I'm not sure at more than 60 he went for the student visa!

• Undermoonlight

Could you recruit me as one of your travelling members?~~

• Maggie
    Maggie wrote:

Salute, seriously

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.