Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » Are you a liuxuesheng (Foreigner student)?

******* wrote:

if you are a foreigner student then I wanna know that are u satisfied with the quality of education that you are getting here?

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

No I'm not.

Thanks for asking.

******* wrote:

I am waiting for someone who can reply me with yes and I can debate OR take some suggestions for that person...

• Yasir A.J
    Yasir A.J wrote:

no am not :)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Jessicayio wrote:the foreign students is the income of the government

At least part of my studies were on scholarship from the P.R.C. government, so I don't see how I substantially contributed to their income. Obviously my Chinese is not great, but I think the faults are my own, not my school's. Worthwhile education.

******* wrote:

@ Mr. Right, please suggest me how to communicate with ur teacher/supervisor who knows limited English (even on my admission letter it was mentioned that my degree will be in English) also I'm not on CSC, getting money my my own country and wanna to make it useful....

******* wrote:

Jessicayio: but my friends in Germany, France, New Zealand and in USA are satisfied with their study progress. even friends in UK are also enjoying their study times (I think u know that UK has been using education as a business industry for long time).. 

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

I think that if you really want to get good results from your Chinese education the first and foremost are 2 attributes:

1) Really, really want to learn

2) be willing to make sacrifices

If you excercise discipline, especially in choosing friends (staying away from foreigners, and chinese who want to learn english), you can get to a very respectable level of chinese in one year (at least 4 hours of class a day, 5 days a week).

You could easily hire a very good full-time experienced chinese teacher for 4,000 RMB/month, where they could teach you everything you want to know in the comfort of your own home, with 100% one-on-one attention

The alternative is shelling out the same money to BLCU or these other schools, where you are studying with 10-30 other expats and getting invited to the bars every night.

My chinese is better than most, but still has a loooooong way to go.

Good luck!

******* wrote:

@ Shane: so nice to read ur suggestions. I am here to learn my major NOT for Chinese language, but still I am sure these suggestions will work out for many foreigners who are learning Chinese language, thanks buddy

• Petter Meisfjordskar
    Did you mean a "foreign student"?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ok, now I get that op means he is taking courses taught in English in China and is unhappy with the quality of the education.

I have no idea why anyone would come to China for courses taught in English. I am sure there is no quality university-level English language education in China. The private foreign-run secondary schools might not be bad though.

Khan, if you want to learn English, why don't you transfer to a school in a country where people speak it?

******* wrote:

莫明 : I am a PhD student and majoring in Aerospace Engineering and if u know something abt PhD then it's not just taught courses but most important is discussion with supervisor and researchers. I think u've just followed mr. right who is mr. wrong actually. anyway, I 'm not much familiar with this website and its my mistake to discuss something abt education here ... 

@ Mr. Right: ur words seems that u r a school baby who whenever get babes, forget abt his studies, OR, like those guys who use to remove their mustaches for Chinese babes. U still need to grow up... I think u can understand me... chill and have a good day ;)

• Hanne Jensen
    Hanne Jensen wrote:

Oh, Khan thats impressive, one of my friend has been doing PhD in same major from BUAA, if you like then I can give you his contact details. wish you good luck. don't be sad and JiaYou.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Khan, I follow what you're saying, but obviously you don't speak much Chinese, right? So why are you trying to do those things in China. This country is not known for its education, aerospace, or English level. If you want to learn Chinese, then it absolutely makes sense, but it does seem silly to be trying to learn an English language program here.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... cant say I followed everyone and everything, but 莫明, China does have "some" credibility with aerospace, esp when we dont know which area Khan is into ... I agree to a limited extent that "it does seem silly to be trying to learn an English language program here", because that depends on the background of those people that Khan is working with, some of the locals do converse (not only speak) very good English ...

So, I will just be my usual silly self and ask ... Khan ... what exactly is your concern?

• Nadia
    Nadia wrote:

depends on in WHICH uni u get the education...

im satisfied for 60 or smth from 100, but maybe thats my fault, but i also think that university im studyin, could do that better... much bettr.

• Petter Meisfjordskar
    China is not known for arospace education or English, but at least known world wide for Guanzhou products. That is great credit enough. Lol.
  • Siren Dahlkvist

NOT AT ALL! 

• Da Chuan
    Da Chuan wrote:

as a person who has no such a scholarship yet im not really satisfy with their education system.but atleast i have some opportunities time by time that can go and translating for some people from my country and earn lotta money .so thats good thing to do beside study .specially when ur in such a country as china that u cant have part time job in some small jobs such as waitring or some such woks like that .

• Da Chuan
    Da Chuan wrote:

cuz they give very short money and its crazy if we do those workds in china ;)if it was in our country or europe or usa it was ok to do it .but it has an other face to do in china

• Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:

ddd Yes,am a liuxuesheng.Am quite satisfied with my studies.

• Undermoonlight

Those who pretend to be smart asses are actually articulating nothing but their cheap vanity~~~as you said, they know little about how PhD programs work~~

My suggestion is that you'd better learn Chinese as fast as possible, 'cause you cannot expect senior Chinese scientists and scholars talk all the time with you in English--after all, their expertise knowledge is not English~~Of course, I believe you have no problem in communicating with them in English, but there will be inconveniences~~

Don't act aloof~

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

@Snow Angel

You remind me of my least favorite teacher.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

@Shane, good comment, I never schooled in China, but we've go to see what this CCP have done to boost the education overall in the last 20 years. No country is matching them, look at the score chinese students are getting comparing to US and western students.

As for foreign students, studies have never been easy. But without dedication, sacrifice and hardwork, you can't learn anything. But looking at how many foreign students stay up late in different bars in Bj, I just wonder how they can learn lessons given in Chinese and get real knowledge.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.