Discussion » Food & Drink » Where to buy bread in Beijing?

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

I usually buy bread at April Gourmet, but paying 40 rmb for a oat bread that isn't even fresh out of the oven just gets ridiculous. So.. Can anyone recommend any good and cheap bakeries around GongTi / Sanlitun? :-)

The kind of bread I'm looking for is the healthy ones as spelt bread, oat bread and rye bread - NOT the white bread. Seems many of the chinese bakeries don't have that.

- Kent 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... as a matter of fact, I am eating banana bread (they call it banana cake) for breakfast, bought from Carrefour (the one at Shuang Jing, Da Wang Lu, who has their own in-store bakery)  ...

I know there is a Carrefour close to the Agriculture Centre, but I have not been there, so I dont know if they have a bakery ... well, Da Wang Lu should not be too far from you anyway,

Also, I think Jenny Lou's at Chao Yang Park has its own bakery too? Not too sure about that one ...

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

The Jenny Lou at Chaoyang Park is closed and renovating right now. They certainly don't have their own bakery but have breads from like 4 or 5 different bakeries.

Never found any good bread in China anyway (except in Comptoir de France, but it's too fucking far!)

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    hey, u know, even in NY, i cannot find any good Chinese restaraut. I consider it quite normal, so I cook by myself, or I have things like bloody steak, haha. get used to it, or try sth else: BAO ZI!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... any news when the renovation might finish? I want to get some steak fillet ...

For where you (Kent Løset)are, "paris baguette" might be an option, there is one at Wang Fu Jing ... and there is an Ole there too anyway ...

Obviously, I dont have good taste or high requiremtn with my bread, heehee ...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Jenny Lou's sell sugar-free multi-grain bread. I think it's like 8 RMB for 4 slices.

• Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:

To add to the suggestions above: BreadTalk, Tous Les Jours and WeiDuoMei all do bread in various forms and probably have branches around Sanlitun. The latter can often be a bit sweet though to my taste. They're not necessarily great, but they aren't expensive.

I'm not sure whether they have the exact type you're looking for but it might be worth a look...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I must admit, I miss those HK style bakery ...

• MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

Wei Duo Mei

• Simen Wangberg

Weiduomei has stores all over the city, including Sanlitun. I've never had their bread, but their cakes are pretty awesome. I feel it takes a bit more skill to make a proper cake than it does to make a simple loaf of bread. That's all.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... sorry, neither Weiduomei and Holliland is HK style bakery, not even close, they are more the Taiwanese+Japanese mix? Their cakes are very nice though ...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Everything in Weiduomei looks totally disgusting.

I can't even imagine what their bread is like. Probably sweet and crumbly covered with furry pork and fluorescent pink sausage.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... fluorescent? Places like Fairwood and De Coral are famous for their "fluorescent pork chop", off topic, sorry, heehee ...

• Simen Wangberg

Mmm, fluorescence. The essence of fine baking. Moisture is the essence of water.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/listings/dining/deli_sandwich/has/bakery-le-croissant/

:)

• Børge Notkevich
    Get your own bread making machine! Remember mum used to make the best tasting bread at home and so very healthy :)
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

God.. I miss the days in Norway where I could fill up the freezer with half done healthy non-sugar fiberlicious oat breads for 20 rmb a piece, then just defrost and finish them in the oven and get super-fresh out of the oven bread. The rock hard partly moldy April Gourmet breads for 40 kuai a piece kinda gives me the impression I'm in the wrong country for bread.

I think BreadTalk and Tous Les Jours sounds more convenient. I also spotted this bakery close to GongTi Bei Lu recently, so I'll check out that too =) Thanks for all suggestions!

- The Breadhunter

X-D

• 哥们
    哥们 wrote:

SOuth german Bakery in Lucky Street or Schindler's food store in Mai Zi Dian

• Sofia
    Sofia wrote:

i don't like bread

• Monkey92
    Monkey92 wrote:
    Hi Kent, 
    Problem solved : yesterday I found a selection of German rye bread in the D-Mart Wudaokou, a little world supermarket next to the tube station. For prices as little as 18 rmb :D
    I guess it's far, but you could always hop over there and stock up for a while. 
    Perfect with brown cheese :p 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.