Discussion » Nonsense » Suicide

  • Riva
    Riva wrote:

    few days ago a 16-year-old girl committed suicide at her middle school in Hebei. she jumped off the building.

    we, some so-called experts, are called for a crisis intervention. we counselled her teachers and classmates while being there for 2 days.

    it's actually our first time to face such a thing... i even couldn't sleep in the darkness after listening to the teachers saying how they recognized the girl's bloody and twisted face to identify who she is.

    death is the first topic of Existentialism. nothing is certain in the world but death.

    what do you think?

  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

    pray for this little girl, and the point is that we need to know the reason, and whether it's "reasonable", and whether we can make any change.

    what is existentialism? birth and taxes are also certain in the world...

  • WENwen
    WENwen wrote:

    Life is something real.  Dont say existentialism. It's none of the business of saving a life.  Help more with her classmates and teachers.  Draw them out from that bloody memory please.

  • Simen Stensvoll
    people all have choices,respect all of them
  • Hanne Jensen
    Hanne Jensen wrote:

    Last year there was a boy who had committed suicide in a university near to me and students of that university told me that every year this happens in our university. after this many times I read the news of such suicides in other schools/universities, its weird for me... why does it happen here?

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    I think Riva, in part, was referring to the existentialist Albert Camus' assertion that Suicide is the only serious philosophical problem, or at least the most basic one.

    He had a point

  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    Damn Riva, you have a tough job.  How did you end up doing that kind of thing for a living?

  • Simen Wangberg

    China has had a high suicide rate for awhile. Mostly rural women, it sounds like - they reckon their existence a little differently than folks do in the city. Societal issues and all that. Sounds like a lot of the ones here are kind of spontaneous acts too, not like the premeditated cries for help that characterize most suicides in the West.

    Some gal in Shandong committed suicide because she was chastised by school officials for having long hair (supposedly). It's on ChinaSmack if anyone cares to read:

    http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/stories/shandong-schoolgirl-sent-home-for-long-hair-commits-suicide.html

    It seems that there may be something about Chinese culture that doesn't necessarily encourage or condone suicide, but allows for an environment that inexplicitly allows for it to happen more often. All those FoxConn people earlier this year too. People here see it as a more viable solution - and I guess for some, it might be.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    Suicide in a teenager sounds something unnatural, in this time all your body is screaming -Life-

    If there was not mental illness.

    if there was not -bullying-.

    if there was not abuse in home.

    if there was not a blackmail by internet or cyberbullying 

    then....maybe she felt that she was miss.nobody, a deep lonelyness...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... Adolfo ... you forgot to mention the pressure (from home, from school, even from peers) to become successful in school, then getting into a good university, perhaps even getting a scholarship, eventually getting a good job ... that's the part of traditional that I disagree with, sadly, it is how most people believe they should live ...

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    叮噹叔叔, yep, if i was a chinese teen fucked by his parents, i would say like this:

    listen dear daddy and mum, if you don't cut out this bullshit and you don't stop to give me pressure, then i swear that better you begins to pray for the chinese goverment develop a free medical insurence and a good plan of pensions, because nobody will take care of you in your age. 

    and don't be hypocrital, if you say that you do this to me because you love me, then i can do the same with you, because i love you, i can begin to give you pressure about your work, why in all these years you haven't a better position in the company? why do you spend your money in lotery? why do you waste your time playing 麻將 with friends?? work work make money

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahahaha ... I cant wait to see what this "virtual" Chinese kid will say to his/her mummy dearest ...

    Actually, though only a very small sample, from what I have heard, the daddy might actually not be too responsible, as he often plays too much 麻将 or spends too much time (and money) at 天上人间 ... or just doing second or third job to pay the mortgage, as well as the extra interest classes that the kid is actually not interested ...

     

  • Marte Joahansen

    Suicide it  is.

    Firstly, if Riva was a Forensic expert,events as such should not be surprising to

    him/her.

    Secondly, the 16 year old chose suicide..when option 'B' was murder.

    In black and white, she chose to terrorize herself(afterall a terrorist is simply a

    freedom fighter..she thought suicide better for her to be freed in this case)

    because she wasn't bold enough to face whoever or whatever terrorized her.

    Kill your fears..or you end up being killed by it.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    叮噹叔叔. 

    Also the problem can be that.... how to explain this? ok,... when I usually meet the family of my chinese friends, for my is a shock discover that the teen is not really a teen, and he or she has 19 years old and they are in the first year university. Still playing with toys, and wearing pijamas with cartoons bla bla.....

    And the problem begins, when these young begin the university or work in their jobs, under the direction of motherfuckers that only care about make money....working 12 hours, rest one day, stolen in their own wages. Suddenly the world does not give a shit to them, from be little emperor to be servant, like 溥仪

    The sweet childhood does not have relation with the bitter requeriments of adult world. Even that weird militar training after finish the highschool. 

    eeey!!!!! but i am not doing apology of spartan education, is only that i have not seen bridges or grades in the pass from the childhood to adult. 

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahahaha ... that reminds me, I should destroy my "Dragon Ball" boxer shorts later ...

    With what you have described, other than the fact that these guys (and girls) can go back to the little "shell" that they call home, they are not much different from the "illegal sweat shop worker" (is that how they are known as??) working for Gap or Polo in United States ... heehee ...

    Often, we heard that suicide is the easy way out, when it might in fact be the worst choice of them all ... sad ...

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    The Chinese Suicide Rate is not estimated to be particularly high (which surprises me, frankly)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahahaha ... "estimate"? The truth is that, for "face" result, the government dont tell us the truth ...

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    actually I was conflating the male and female rates. It seems that for women it is extremely high and for men pretty low (the opposite scenario for most countries)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... perhaps relevant to the self-esteem of the locals?

  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

    "the truth is that, for "face" result, the government dont tell us the truth..."

    Uncle DingDang, you must know lots of bloody truth from the government since you work in 妇协-one of government agencies.

  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

    Help women.

  • Lanyan
    Lanyan wrote:

    Indeed everyone has a choice, even various religions are against suiside, but to some extent suisiding is one choice of the all, if you understand something and if you are in peace, suisiding maybe much more resonable than others.

    However the courage to death could not be equaled with fear to live, one should not commit suiside once he/she is vague about  this. Apperantly the little girl did not have a clear understanding for this, she was just afraid of some horrible thing.

  • Lanyan
    Lanyan wrote:

    It is stupid indeed.

    The Girl IS Stupid that at a high possibility that she knew nothing about living&death,

    China is a magic country, one reason of some is people here do not have a scitific understanding about your and others' lives.

    Tragic.

  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

    As an expert mentioned Existentialism... you must know Lacan rite?  I like his potential ideas, the real I was already ruined by others..Later we get into a symbolic world controlled by Others...we quest for reality but there is no way to find...So there is always a choice to quest from death.


    I guess that is the theme in Inception. The wife believe reality only comes from death, so she suicides. It is the same in the philosophy of 庄子。 and i actually quite understand people's choice on suicide..

    But yes...thats kinda bullshit talking, when it comes to real life,i always believe we should keep on carrying the rock as sisyphus.

  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

    By the way my mum has been a psychiatrist for ages. One of her cellphone is 24 hour on and when we are walking on the street, having dinner...in any daily moments, she is getting phone call from depressed people. She said that is in case her patients getting into a really depressed state but cannot talk to her then commit suicide...

    so...tough job, touch life....think positive.

  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

    Without devolving the topic into Lacanian psychoanalytics, wasn't Lacan's position that becoming aware of your otherness(like, the first time a child sees its mirror-image) is what breaks/complicates identity rather than, more simply, what other people think of you?

     Also, if life should be carrying the rock like Sisyphus, doesn't that follow that life is a punishment in hell/the underworld that you are forced to suffer by the Gods? :P

    I don't really have much of an opinion on suicide. I don't think it should be such a taboo thing, and that living and not living is a choice that everyone should be entitled to. I'm inclined to agree with Hamlet's approach to suicide as being preferable if only nothingness follows but as we don't know what happens next, the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

  • Christopher Handeland

    agree with riva

    nothing is certain but death,the most painful irreversible phenomenon

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I'm not exactly sold on the whole death thing. I think it's wishful thinking. At best it's only the end of consciousness. That's something that's easy enough to simulate on weekends, if you're curious.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahahaha ... I sense a move towards discussing after life? No, dont go there, it's just light at the end of a tunnel ... heehee ...

     

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc