Discussion » Music » Musos: How many samples can you recognise?

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

This is a track I wrote using 42 samples from my CD collection:

http://soundcloud.com/user2297586/port10b

How many can YOU recognise???

Some of the vocals should be obvious; the rest, not so much.

• Simen Wangberg

I caught some Beastie Boys in there (I think), but couldn't pick out anything else. Either I'm retarded or you have peculiar musical tastes. Or both, whatever.

Did you process the samples much after ripping them? The whole thing gels together pretty nicely.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Yep, "The New Style" by the Beastie Boys.

You might've recognised a few more than that. Like, one of Simon and Garfunkle's most famous songs?

Almost every sample is EQed, which helps production. A sax sample played backwards is one of the best bits. Then simple effects such as delay, phaser, chorus, reverb.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

"Hit the road Jack"

"Teguilla"

Frank Sinatra somewhere

• Simen Wangberg

Honestly, not real familiar with the works of Garfunkle and Simon. Actually, I suspect that most of the samples are from older artists that I just missed the bus on.

I like a lot of old jams, but not the ones that most people seem to dig. The MC5 and The Stooges are my definition of "oldies".

In any case, nice work. Do you do any of your own jams, or just mash-up/sampling kinda stuff?

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

"Hit the road Jack"

? I don't think so.

"Teguilla"

Tequila, right. Though I can't remember which version. I downloaded two different renditions of the song.

"Frank Sinatra somewhere"

Nope, the vocals "And though it seeeeems" is Sammy Davis Jnr. Forgivable mistake though. I got that off a CD that Mr Sinatra also appears on.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

"Actually, I suspect that most of the samples are from older artists that I just missed the bus on."

Possibly not. There are several each from DJ Shadow and the Chemical brothers. Also Massive Attack, FSOL, James Hardway, Fatboy Slim etc. The brass samples are mostly from old jazz recordings.

"Do you do any of your own jams, or just mash-up/sampling kinda stuff?"

My synth has broken so it's all audio at the moment but I have a midi keyboard so usually I'll do the bassline or a melody or two using a single note I've cut up.

Using samples in a way that renders them unrecognisable is a goal. Partly because that means you are using them creatively and it also allows you to harbour the fantasy that you could actually release the track one day. Fatboy Slim once said that if he had to pay royalties on every sample he had used that he would be broke.

• Simen Wangberg

O rly? DJ Shadow, most excellent. I'll give it another poke and see if I can pick anything out again.

"Using samples in a way that renders them unrecognisable is a goal."

Yeah, I regret phrasing my question that way - I guess I meant to ask if you used anything other than samples for your compositions. I try to defend the creative use of sampling, as I've heard too many old fogeys rip on electronic musicians for "stealing" music, when they have no clue how much work and technique is involved. It's truly an art in itself.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

No regrets needed. I didn't think you were denigrating my art!

That track IS basically a load of samples strung together - with a bit of care - which is why I posted it.

The preacher sample was from the movie Critters 2. Marilyn Monroe makes a guest appearance. "The Sounds of Silence" was the Simon and Garfunkle song I pillaged.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

This one has more keyboard playing. 2,3 and even 4 note riffs!

http://soundcloud.com/user2297586/lounge-caolei

Mr Hunt, what version of FL do you use? Is it "try before you buy"?

• Simen Wangberg

"Mr Hunt, what version of FL do you use? Is it 'try before you buy'?"

I think you're addressing me - ? Very clever, ho ho ho.

Anyway, I actually don't remember what version I currently have - I know it's not the most up-to-date one, but it does what I want it to do for the time being.

Yeah, I guess you might wanna try before you buy...although I've never actually purchased FL. Drop me a PM. BBQ

• Peter S 李贝勒

nice patchwork, good exercice. Then for sure with 42 samples the result miss some consistancy.

U didn t say that u used the beatles but seem that the 3 last horn notes seem to be from the magical mistery tour... sound s like. Maybe i mistake?

This kind of mix works well with pictures or movies. Don t u think so?

everybody use sample now. So sometimes u use a piano, or bass or a a violon or a sample or whatever... it s just different tools that u use to create what u have in mind...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

That three-note mute trumpet riff I got off track 12 of this CD:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Cup-Of-Tea-Records-A-Compilation/release/122124

It won't be from a Beatles album because they wouldn't have got clearance.

• Peter S 李贝勒

i listened and for sure i thought that it was the point, U right, too clean.

But if u work the equ, the compression and the sample in detail, U can clean well.

Or u know, now, u can use a sample and convert it in midi then change the sound. But for horns it s always soso, even if they do it better and better, the horns sections are always cheap in midi, and more than ever, all the articulations.

which software are u using?

• Peter S 李贝勒

sample of sounds or sample of pictures, that s ur concept, i saw Ur PS.

U should put 42 samples of pics in one composition and ask the same question?

just to see, hehe...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.