Discussion » Beijing Life » Beijing traffic jam

• 大力水手
    大力水手 wrote:

Are u suffering from the increasingly serious traffic jam in BJ? Time taken from my home to work ( 20KM) has increased 20min on average compared with a year ago!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... hi Popeye ... where is home and where is work?

Per a previous discussion, in relation to "progress", one must always ponder how much we have to sacrifice and compromise for all kinds of "progress" ... 

Ans: not in a major way ... but Beijing surely has far more people than I first visited in 1982 ...

• Børge Notkevich
    The traffic through Ba Da Ling freeway is terrible! Went an average of 40km/h on Sat afternoon!
  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    try to accept it if you can not change the situation...
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

usually spend 40+ mins for only 10 kilometres

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... the government is quite famous for fixing "big" problems, while ignoring small ones, and as far as they are concerned, traffic in Beijing (also in other cities) are just small problems ...

As for no one wants to go out, that depends on whom you are talking about, you might want to visit TAM Square on a weekend (esp during Oct holiday), or if you have gone to 798 on Sat, there were surely plenty of people (not all of them were human, of course) ...

Also, I really cannot imagine foreigners not coming to BJ or China because of traffic jam, when there is a bigger picture here ...

I suggest you find an alternative route, or perhaps move to another location ... if you are living in the rish people's area, I suggest living poorly instead, you will be surprise how smooth is the traffic :)

• MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

Yes, the characteristics

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    虽然我爱死了车,但世上本就不该有汽车,大家本就应该每天自己开“三崩子”出门
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

how abt “侉子” ???

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    对,就是三轮儿。想想看那个阵势,多给力啊
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:

最好是绿皮儿的,插个军旗再,自己带个小钢盔儿,给力

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    最好是甲方乙方那样!haha
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... stop kidding yourself ... capable government? can solve problem?

The traffic jam (among many other issues) is the "result" of (or the price we pay for) progress, and often you would find that while fixing one problem (or making progress), they create another bigger problem, or two, or three ...

As a "modern" city. it is not possible to stop progress, but they could at least spend more time to plan better, instead of going into it blind, and then find that they need to fix thing(s) ...

Oh, that kind of remind me of a certain web site ...

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

@大力水手: Well the government could start by trying to stop the growth of BJ: building development zones in new cities 20km away from beijing, give them lower taxes, improve any conditions for businesses to set up there (at least at the beginning) and get fast an frequent trains from Beijing to there, also start building housing in this brand new and modern cities.

Have a plan of what they want Beijing to become.

Improve public transportation: more subway lines, dedicated lanes for the buses.

Stop / limit issuing car license plates.

Make public parking places in the city be time limited and insanely expensive.

It's not like all those ideas are new anyway.... Probably no one in the Beijing govt does see any direct political benefit from doing those things so it'll just wait until the problem becomes to big to be solved without drastic measures being taken. (Actually I think it's already too late)...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    the thing in China right now is that once citizens feel unhappy, no matter what the reason behind, they will blame the CCP government, resulting that the gov's way of implementing new policies is shifting to be more and more "conservative"--actually it's a good thing as long as i can see, however, sooner or later, they, i mean the CCP, will realize that one party system wont work well forever: even if u've done a good job, coz no government/party can satisfy all the people and cover all the corner, then all the people who feel unhappy, or even they are happy, but just feel bored, they will still blame u. that's the advantage of biparty or multiparty system, in which the party in charge of the country can always fools voters by saying that the shit happening right now is just a result of other party's stupidy when they were on the stage:D
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Haha, very good point, Da Fan!

CCP should welcome KMT back, then they can at least have a scapegoat to share burden with each other^^

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

one can learn to enjoy the traffic jam, treat it as a sort of contemplative experience... psychogeography of a sort

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

@Maria

exactly, they should welcome KMT back, and consider it's a way to hedge political risks. and it will definitely be a win-win deal: the result would be just like a "stock split", but not a new issurance. citizens would feel happier coz finally they can vote, western zhuangbility media would feel awkward coz they don't know what to blame abt China for a short while (sure they will eventually, coz their intention is not to help China become a better and stronger country, which they would feel pain in the ass if so, but just keep on blaming~), and those big guys will still be on stage, no matter ppl call them CCP or KMT.

in any time, in any country, 80% people are stupid, that's the truth. all parties' role is just to satisfy/fool those 80% people, that's it. Even stupid people know it would be better if they can vote, so give them the right to vote. they will feel quite happy if they can vote, even tho it's just a choice between a wanker and a masturbator--in most cases it is--but hey, they don't fucking care :D

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.