Discussion » Current Events » British are so British, French are so French

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Stereotypes are alive and well all around the world, not just in China. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/21/AR2010102103364.html

"...And thus did they conform to national stereotypes. In an age of supposed globalization, when we are all allegedly becoming more alike -- listening to the same American music, buying the same Chinese products -- it is astonishing how absolutely British the British remain and how thoroughly French are the French. Both countries need to change state spending patterns and cut budgets to cope with economic crisis. Faced with this challenge, the British have stiffened their upper lips -- while the French have taken to the streets."

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

The French strike over absolutely anything.

I'd love to be a French public worker - you only need to show up to the office about 5 weeks a year.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

...when a million people lose their jobs, the Brits will show they can do civil disobedience too.

Sadly, I think both the French and UK Governments have made seriously dick moves here. Good chance of both economies re-entering recession now... tut-tut.

• Markus G
    Markus G wrote:

The french government is raising retirement age to 62 (in words: sixty-two). That's a dick move?!? The bad thing is just, that the government gets support by the people for inhuman deportations, while necessary measures are met by pure ignorance.

And kudos to the Conservative/LibDem-Government, Their radical austerity package deserves great respect. I would wish my country would have brave politicians like that, and not just think in election intervals.(Or as Belgium's Jean-Claude Juncker once put it:"We all know what to do, but we don't know how to get re-elected once we have done it.")

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Well Markus, if in 2010 we have got ourselves into a situation where people have to work for longer than before, then yeah I think it is a dick move, particularly after 2 (as a word two) centuries of insane economic growth.

The ConDem Gvt'S austerity measures will lead to up to 1 million job losses which, at the moment at least, the private sector is in no situation to absorb. Opening the gates to mass unemployment also seems like a dick move to me, brave or otherwise

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Well 62 would not be the compulsory retirement age, people like your father can work longer if that is their want.

I just feel if people have worked hard for 40 years and then want to retire they should be able to. I am not attacking the age of 60 or 62 per se. I am attacking the fact that we seem to be regressing. 

I appreciate people are living healthier, longer lives but people/society are also far richer than before and I think it is reasonable that a system is in place or developed so that people are able to retire at an age is manageable.

Well done to your father but many are not able to work at that age.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I tend to support raising the French retirement age just because the French are so whiny that it would be nice if someone made them do a little work for once.

On the other hand, when it comes to Britain, I stand totally with Carlos.  Keynes will have the last laugh on this one, just like he always does, always has, and always will.  The ConLib government is setting Britain up for 10 years of stagnation that they could have avoided.

Hopefully as the UK falls into this trap, the US moderates will learn from it and not let our Republicans and Tea Party nutters do the same thing over the next few years.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.