Discussion » Employment Opportunities » help with Expat package

• Rick (史大龙)
    Rick (史大龙) wrote:

I have interviewed with an American company for an executive position which will move me back to China. I have lived there in the past, but without a expat package. Can someone with a expat package tell me what to expect or what to ask for including amounts? I have some ideas, but am looking for some additional knowledge in this area. Thanks for the help.

Rick 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I need help with my expat package, too. This thing is really fucking heavy and hard to carry around. I've worn out the elastic in all my underpants.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Hey buddy,

Things to keep in mind:

Visa and all related expenses;

Health insurance/life insurance/AIDS insurance;

10 days off and a ticket home every 9 weeks;

The number we talked about for salary sounds fair to me.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

hmmmm ... and in case you might have wondered, wonder no more, the package does not come with any women, although, you might get your pick of women from among your colleagues ...

• Rick (史大龙)

Thorstan,

The position is the Asian QC Manager for a US furniture retailer of highend indoor furniture, the salary is not the issue but what additional benifits are common these days such as housing, car allowance, tuition for my kids into an american school ect...

莫明,

The insurance will be out of the US, I did think of the visa stuff and also the time to fly home. AIDS ins??? haha

叮噹叔叔 (妇协杂工),

I am not worried about the girls being a part of the package, I have lived there in the past and know that game on my own...

Thanks guys, need all the info I can get.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... the "i" word?

As far as insurance is concerned, since you are a foreigner, you dont get the local "medicare", and assuming you dont look local either (at least you dont talk local), you will be "slotted" into the foreigner queue when you go to the hospital or clinic, hence being charged more than the lcoals for the same treatment and meds ...

And, due to medical and insurance practice in China, if you want (local) insurance products that can cover medical, it is usually very expensive by local standard ...

For the expats that I know of, their insurance is covered by insurance company in HK, or for the top end of expat, they can negotiate with the company to get top medical cover from America or UK ...

... also, if you have family with you, you might want to negotiate with the firm to get medical cover for them, again, being foreigner and all that, that cannot be cheap, even if you can afford it yourself ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I've never faced the price discrimination that dingdang mentioned at hospitals. I'm quite sure that I've always paid the same price for the same service as everyone else. But there's not much that a local hospital can really help you with that you would need insurance for, since antibiotic treatment and the like is only a few rmb. For the kind of real emergency treatment you need if you get run over by a bus though, it would be good to have some real coverage that will put down a million dollars for surgery. My company used Aetna, but I had my coverage through IMG, which had better rates and looked like better coverage. I have no idea how either company works out in case you actually need to make a claim.

There is no "standard" package, since the standard is no package. But, there are still companies that don't know better and provide 20k for housing each month and education in foreign schools for the expat kids. I don't know how you could pull off the education bit given your family's not going, but it's been known to happen.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

This isn't related to the topic,

but just so you know the "EXPAT DEPARTMENTS" at most hospitals such as "China-Japan Friendship (中日医院)" and the like are actually just normal hospital employees who switch in and out of the foreign department.

They charge you 2 or 3 times more for treatment, yet offer you nothing better than the normal chinese side

if you speak chinese, defintely go to the chinese side.

As far as your "expat package" I think maybe you could call a local headhunter and ask them?

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

And BTW you look just like professor snape (Alan Rickman) from harry potter

• Rick (史大龙)

Dang Shane, Alan Rickman? come on.... lol

The headhunter is a good idea, i will do that.

莫明, as you remember I have been to the hospital in BJ luckly Sundrew was with me, I am not so much worried about the insurance part as i will have insurance in the US with them and if I get real sick I will just go back to the states. I am more so interested in the housing allowance, auto allowance things like that. I know i don't plan on my kids living in China, but I can use the amount to negociate flights home.

Alan Rickman.... haha

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Oh ... just remember one thing ...

Depending on what "level" in the "expat food chain" you are, you could be asked to choose from some mutual options ... in my case, I have to choose between the ticket and housing, because I am at the bottom of the "food chain" ...

• Rick (史大龙)

叮噹叔叔 (妇协杂工),

Good info, well I would like to think I will be high on the food change, but who knows... I am preparing to choose between options, that is why I want to know as many as I can so i have more bargaining power. I figure the more things I can tell them the more I will get, either in amount or items.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... for what I know, which is not much, you are at the top of the "food chain" if your monthly income is 6-digit (or more) ... otherwise, welcome to the "pit" ... just kidding!

• Rick (史大龙)

6-digit in rmb or usd? haha it will be 6-digit in usd....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

My Lord, I am not worthy ... *bow down*

oh, but is this annual salary, or monthly? Chinese tend to do it monthly, whereas western talks PA ...

• Rick (史大龙)

Annually...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Using a more conservative estimate, you could be close to the top, if not at the top ...

*bow down * My lord, I am not worthy ...

• Rick (史大龙)

@ 叮噹叔叔 (妇协杂工), haha. I have been at this a long time, I am not that young....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... let's be friends :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.