Discussion » Nonsense » brand!

• Peter S 李贝勒
    Peter S 李贝勒 wrote:

"There is obviously a lot of wealth in Beijing — that explains the number of cars on the roads — but to watch a young woman in the Chanel boutique examine herself in the mirror as she holds a $4,500 quilted bag is to imagine what owning such an object would mean to her. Ms. Cheung later told me many women have to save for months to afford a status bag. But the point is, they do." (from http://news.style.com/view_mode/1076056/buzz/)

It s something that i cannot understand! sure it happens in europe too, but really less than in china. Probably cause china have a too strong concept of the "face"...

form and content? content, just a sign  : "i have a chanel, i m nui bi"

why? my feeling is most of the time is "U have a chanel and u want to show it means that u pay to much attention to the form and U have no content"... superficial U are...

What do u think???

• Joakim Berg Solum

People spend money on what they like. If they are stupid enough to spend $4500 on a piece of cow skin stitched together in a shape that holds make-up, more power to them.

Hell, I've blown plenty of money on stupid shit myself. You know how expensive motorcycle racing can be? All that cash thrown away just to buy the chance to kill myself. The only regret I have is that I didn't spend the big money earlier on that sport so I'd benefit longer from it.

What's more stupid, spending $4500 on a purse or $100,000+ on a car? Or 30,000RMB for a square meter in Beijing?

• Peter S 李贝勒

@Jon

yes. but that s not the point. people do whatever they want with their money. if U have money and u spend it that s normal... The point here is that these girls are not rich, and i think they have something else to do with their money than buying a bag, these girls are really far to be able to offer them a race car or a 30 000rmb, square meter house...

I really don t understand why they felt more powerfull to have these kind of objects...

it s just mean that communication agency do a good job? and convince people?

cause most of the time what these famous brands are selling is just 'wind'(superficial?).

• Joakim Berg Solum

I bet the girls do it to show off to rich guys so they can find some wealthy middle aged douche-bag guy to marry them or at least become a mistress. I wonder how much guys care about that stuff... I mean the funny thing is, sure we notice expensive fashion and good taste, but guys don't look at purses. We're staring at your legs and how low your skirt is cut.

$4500 for a purse? Spend the money on plastic surgery instead, you'll get a much better ROI (return on investment)

• Børge Notkevich

Products are marketed for different people. There are people who can easily afford a bag costing $4,500 and are also willing to pay for it. These people are usually the ones who carry it off with the 'right look'. Whereas someone who had saved up for a $4,500 bag, may not have the right 'garments' to match.

Perhaps its a good idea to buy what you like and are able to afford easily, in my opinion.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

@ Jon - off topic, but are you in beijing? if so, where did you get your bike from? i'm looking to buy a motorcycle in the near future, but don't know where to start..

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

It took me a long time to understand this brand nonsense, but I get it now. Everything in China is based on connections, and no one is going to build a relationship with a poorer person of lower status, because that person won't be a useful connection.

So, people need to pretend they're of a higher social strata. The way to do that is to buy clothes, phones, and cars that are far outside their income ranges. These help them proove to everyone else that they're not poor, they're well off, and they're worthy of being friends with.

Maybe you can't imagine spending an entire month of your parents salary to buy a new cell phone every year, but that's what probably 90% of the students in Beijing do. We might think it's insane, but the payoff must be there. If you can't afford the newest LG or LV, then you don't have husband/wife quallifications, nor are you someone who's going to be offered an introduction to the boss.

No way to prove you can afford it (especially when you can't) than to buy it. Thank Jesus I'm white so everyone already knows I'm rich.

• Joakim Berg Solum

Hey Ekki. I raced for 5 or 6 years in America and was a motorcycle racing instructor for a while too. But that was in Chicago area. There's not much of a market for that stuff in China yet unfortunately. People would rather show off here than spend money on adrenaline sports.

For one thing, it's hard to legally license a bike here. For another, good import Japanese or Italian bikes are really god damned expensive. And finally, I can't really see rich Chinese guys shelling out 10,000RMB a weekend for tires to do any real legitimate road racing... they'd rather spend it on buying Chanel purses for their mistresses.

• Joakim Berg Solum

莫明 and Red Head Chick have made their points far more reasonably and eloquently than I so I bow to their insights on this matter...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Jon's only saying that because I bought him a 30,000 RMB cellphone last week.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    well, girls can keep on buying these stuffs, and maybe one day the situation here would be pretty much like that of Japan right now: high school girls do 援交 with middle aged rich guys, so that they can buy luxury brands. Ithink it would also boost China's adult video industry. exciting huh?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

Hah, in 15 years or so I'm totally moving to Japan to get myself some high school girl action.

But actually I don't think China has even progressed that far. Right now the guys only need to pretend they have money by pulling up to the girls' schools' in Audis. They don't even need to give luxury brand gifts to get the action. At least, I don't...

• Simen Stensvoll
    there are so many rich ppl,and luxury brands are so common to see everywhere,and most are imported.is there any local luxury brand?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    小莫,你这个娈童癖变态!哈哈哈 well, I agree that "to get the action" in China is pretty easy...
  • Peter S 李贝勒

yes yes yes...

just one thing to see how we think different! in france we have an expression who s " l'habit ne fait pas le moine"; it means that u don t have to take care of what people looks like! what u have to care is what they are really inside. Picture is a picture it s not reality, and dont trust it!

in china, it s "i look like rich so i m rich"

superficial fucking wind.

I always buy a produce cause i like it not because of what it represents.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.