Discussion » Beijing Life » New to Beijing! Looking for friends, Job

• SoulCreative Web Studios
    SoulCreative Web Studios wrote:

Hey everyone,

I just recently moved to LangFang. I will be coming to Beijing as soon as I can find work, and a place there.

I just wanted to say hey. I am currently looking for an English teaching job, so if you know anyone who would be interested, shoot me a message.

Daniel Lessor

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Where is Langfang? I thought you were getting sent to Changsha.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Langfang? Isn't that in Hebei?

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Yeah, it's in Hebei. About an hour away from me in the opposite direction to Beijing. I'm about an hour away from Beijing myself.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Yeah, it's in Hebei. About an hour away from me in the opposite direction to Beijing. I'm about an hour away from Beijing myself.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Oh, and I'm sure you've already checked these out, but thebeijinger.com has daily updates of jobs in Beijing (mostly language institutes with crappy pay, but they get some decent ads posted sometimes), davesesl.com has a board full of advertisements placed by recruiters and I personally went with anesl.com which were awesome with me but can be pretty annoying to deal with.

• Florence
    Florence wrote:
    langfang is in heibei province.................
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

Haha~ Lessor, is it or is it not as I described?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... Daniel Lessor ... traveling one hour to (and then from) work is not uncommon in Beijing, however, in your case, you might want to consider the extras such as:

1. to make your time worthwhile, you might want to hang out somewhere with friends, and then you could spend some of those hard-earned money

2. from what my LF friend told me, the traffic (and travel) between LF and BJ is the easy part, it is the BJ traffic which might be a pain, and my guess is if you throw in the traffic situation once you arrive in BJ, it could well be more than an hour, so where is this school?

In my opinion, I dont think it is worth it ...  :)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

running out the door, but deffinitely not worth the time.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Just FYI, the minimum Caucasians (including non-english speakers) get paid for teaching English in Beijing is 100/hour of teaching time (part time). The range is probably more like 150-200, since I don't think many suckers are willing to stay at the 100 level for very long (demand exceeds supply). Granted, this does include some time on the road, but typically something 5-20 minutes from whereever people live.

Remember that the people trying to hire you to teach are in most cases agents who take a big cut off your paycheck, and have a financial incentive to talk you into taking any job where they have a client. I wouldn't say that these agents have absolutely zero value though, because they do make some investment in their connections to get jobs for you, and they also most likely talk you up and lie about your qualifications.

I think you should be making 100 per hour of your time invested, not just time actually teaching class.

Lastly, I saw your ad on the Beijinger a few months ago. You are way too honest to be working in China. Just lie and say you have a degree until these irresponsible institutions learn to verify experience and validate references (don't do this if you're trying to get legitimate employment that sponsors a visa, because then you actually do need that degree).

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Also, to my friends who make 3000 a month and are disgusted that I'm telling someone to turn down 100 per hour, I don't know what to say. Encourage people not to pay so much for inferior teaching.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Lastly, I saw your ad on the Beijinger a few months ago. You are way too honest to be working in China. Just lie and say you have a degree until these irresponsible institutions learn to verify experience and validate references (don't do this if you're trying to get legitimate employment that sponsors a visa, because then you actually do need that degree).

I'd second this. I'd bet a fair amount of money that 99% of places that ask for graduates in China wouldn't be able to tell a real degree certificate from a falsified one.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I brought my real diploma when I worked there, but I heard someone here say he/she just presented a photocopy and an original letter from their Alma Matar that said he had graduated.

Anyway, I'm not eve suggesting that you get a fake diploma, just say that you have one to those agents who ask.

1 wrote:
    光有西方的脸是不够的..
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

哈哈,如果只是用来骗骗女孩子,混混饭吃,其实已经足够有余了。当然,我这里说的,是那些只懂骗骗女孩子,混混饭吃的人,这些应该只是少数吧?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.