Discussion » Dating & Romance » Our marriage, their wedding ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

Just been watching this sweet little one called "Our Family Wedding", about an African American guy marrying a Mexican American girl, and all the funnies from the announcement of the marriage, the "conflicts" between the in-laws, the planning of the wedding, the difference between the two cultures and traditions ...

Though it wont totally apply to Chinese girls dating/marrying western guys, but the "concept" of the cultural clash/crash should be universal ...

One line they said in the movie, and I agree to a certain degree, that marriage is for two people, while wedding is for two families ... from experience, marriage is not just about or between two people, it also involves two families ...

• Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:

In China, marriage usually involves two families too...

When the girl decides to marry the guy, she has to marry the the guy's parents, uncles, anties, grandparents, even the neighbors...How forturnate is that?!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Marco R again ... I know exactly what you meant, and I was only using this line from the movie to bring out a point, which was why I decided not to place it in the "Film and TV" category ... and I am sorry if you might have lost your eyes or whatever body parts as a result ...

** by the way, when will the "ampersand" (and all the other commonly used symbols) issue be fixed in the forum? **

Where I came from, other than Chinese (local, imported etc), Italian and Greek descendents, as well as middle east descendents are also among the major minority, and cross-cultural marriages were actually very common, and I have witnessed a few happy ones and not so happy ones ...

I once was naive enough to think that marriage was between two people, and then the more friends getting married, the more I realised how wrong I was ...

On the other hand, following what Marco had said, "fairy tale" is, well "fairy tale", and no matter how real certain movies or TV series might seem to you, please dont get carried away and think that's how they live in US or other countries ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Selina Rose ... as I said, leave that to the "fairy tale" ...

Parents tend to (the keyword here is "tend to") tell the kid(s) if they might be heading into trouble, sometimes even stopped them, that's because they do believe they have more life experience and hence have the authourity to make decision for their seemingly confusing kid(s) ...

As I have said or hinted many times before, "love" does not usually conquer all, and the best match is often not the one we love most ... 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.