Discussion » Nonsense » Whats up with the taxis?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

What's going on with the taxis? It's IMPOSSIBLE to get one, and if you get one they refuse to drive you... wtf?

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

Same happens to me, so i just stand infront and block them, once u get one, just enter before talking :)

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Yea that's just normal, but the past days it almost seem like some foreigner have killed a taxi driver or something :P 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Ole, where? and usually about what time?

My recent (expensive) experience ... use small notes for taxis :(
  • Simen Stensvoll
    because of the rain,and the following national days
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:

Try getting a cab on chinese valentine's day.... I walked from wangfujing to north third ring trying to get one.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Ill use moon cookies for bait then :P

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Shane, for the price of killing your shoes, let's hope that she was moved ... :)
  • WENwen
    WENwen wrote:
    Yesterday I was waiting for a cab for over 40 mins in the rain. Dare not drive now because of the traffic jam, but it's not possible to take a cab.............what happened with beijing's stupid transportation?!!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha .. still waiting for my lunch here ... I think the keyword is "stupid" :)
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

It's near mid-autumn holiday. We are busy with sending gifts to government officials:-)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Lifehacks for Beijing Taxis:

If it's raining, it's a good idea to get in when the taxi stops for a traffic light. Just be really careful about bikes weaving in between lanes of traffic.

Also, there are some places where lots of taxi drivers seem to congregate to eat and sleep. For example, that road between Zhichunlu and Wudaokou subway stations. They might be taking a break but you can usually find at least one who's ready to hit the road again. There's an unofficial taxi corral in most neighborhoods. Find one within walking distance of your home or work and it'll make your life easier.

If I'm not mistaken, since the Beijing cab companies are public, the drivers aren't really supposed to refuse to take you somewhere. So if the driver asks you to get out because it's too far from where he wants to go, then look at the identification in front of the passenger seat, take out your cell phone or a note pad, and make like you're writing down the driver's number to file a complaint--especially if the picture doesn't match the driver. In that case, you're probably dealing with a non-Jinger who's just moonlighting in his friend's cab. He'll be more worried about you calling the complaint hotline, because it'll cause problems for his buddy who loaned him the taxi that night.

Lastly, be nice to your taxi drivers. Don't come to WLIB and complain about how someone intentionally went the wrong way to scam you for a higher fare. That's bad karma. Pun intended.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Dando Z: Nice hacks :) 

Another tip is, instead of standing where everyone else is standing, aim for alleys and neighbourhoods where there's not a lot of people waiting, but a lot of people arriving :-) I've grabbed taxies in front of wet, waiting crowds before by just walking 20-30 meters away into a small alley. 

• Shaowei Lv
    Shaowei Lv wrote:

drive your own car, you can go anywhere you want to

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that is until you are stuck in some grid lock on some roads in Beijing :)

• Undermoonlight

I walk to work every day...kind of lucky, haha...

...promoting walking more?~~what does it sound like?...

• Kristian Svoren

it happens to me too. i dont know what a fuck is going on.

• Kristian Svoren

those fucking drivers they will just tell you, 我不走!!  i was so angry....i am not insulting anybody but this is just the truth.

• Shukri Olad
    Shukri Olad wrote:

try get a taxi on new year eve!i stayed in DONGZHIMEN for 40mins in that cold windy night.

• WENwen
    WENwen wrote:

usually I kick the taxi if they say "I wont go", take a photo and complain....but actually I know taxi drivers are also sufferring from traffic jam, overload working etc etc....so paradoxical.

• G
    G wrote:

well, it happens..but not all the time...

and more importantly, there are a few hints for foreigners

- use small notes

- tell them it's really hard to get a cab

- just get into the cab when you talk to the driver

• Simen Wangberg

"...walking 20-30 meters away into a small alley."

I'll step it up and walk *just* far enough in front of people so that I can get the taxi before they do. Cos I'm a prick like that.

"just get into the cab when you talk to the driver"

Does anyone not do this? I say hello and tell the cabbie where I wanna go as I'm plopping my ass down in that seat.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... and while we are "discussing" about the taxis in BJ, why not include other public transports?

e.g. Ferrari bus drivers ... or subway controllers (lines 5 and 10) who always miss the "screen door" ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

So I wasn't imagining it, they really do say "screen door"?

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:
    It happened to me last Friday's evening.I waited more than half an hour to get a taxi in the rain,it was mid-night,there wasn't traffic jam then,I didn't know why.But the next day I knew the reason.Because the rain and the festivals is coming.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

莫明 ... you mean the announcement in the subway station, when the train (carriage) approaches? Actually, I never paid much attention to it, but my wife found it annoying when I tried to imitate the accent of the broadcast ...

Whoever crashed this Ferrari, should be more than qualified to drive a bus in Beijing :)

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    ah , about the taxi driver i really got something to say, too bad for what they did ,or how stupid i was, u say that: it was a aining nd dark night even it was only half pass 7, and i lost the direction of the road(u know somtimes it did happend) n i tried to get a taxi ,hard to get one, u know raining day evern harder.and finally i got one with a passionate ,hospitable driver began talked to me really friendly. I actually know it only need 20 minutes toget my palce, and the driver drived about 15 minutes then told me he dont know how to get my place,it was strange , and i was a little bit scared ,so i asked him to pull up, without think too much, and i dont havechange, so i gave him 100RMB , when i got home i found the driver gave a fake50RMB.SO a littlebit shame-making to tell,but really got to say:sometimes need to carefull about the taxi driver, not every like that, but at least we should sked them for a ticket。
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha .... 马克 ... I am guessing that you did that to impress your GF, whereas I did that to annoy my wife, there's a fundamental difference :)

Jenny&King ... been there, done that ... I paid the guy a 100, but he told me he had no change, and then he handed it back to me, then I paid a 50, took the change and went upstairs, and then we found out (the next day) that the 100 was a fake :(

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    ah uncle ur situation was more worse than me, i was not the only one have been cheated by the taxi driver haha , guess this make me feel better, am i bad (*^__^*) O(∩_∩)O哈哈~
  • Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    there's a fundamental difference :) O(∩_∩)O哈哈~ of cause they r different , GF & wife haha imitate u try 叮噹叔叔 ...
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:

becos there ar soo much traffic light。and its always stuck on red~~~sometime I do count how long the light stay in r ed, its.3~7 .,8mins,how about the green. its always just 20seconds.           

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

DD, I had a cab driver try to pull that on me, but having previously received a fake 10 and a fake 20 from cab drivers, I now check every single bill I get. As soon as the cabbie handed me back a fake hundred and told me he didn't have change, I (very politely) requested that he return my bill and not give me this paper garbage. When he said it wasn't garbage, I told him (less politely) that he had about one minute to live if he didn't give back my money. He gave it back quite quickly. I got out of the cab, went to the front and tried to grab his licence. He grabbed it back from me, which resulted in my paying him a face-kicking for the ride*.

*This part didn't actually happen, but I have an active imagination.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.