Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Help me understanding these bad 字

• 小飞
    小飞 wrote:

First of all, despite the displayed Chinese name I'm a laowai.

However there are some confusions about several Chinese characters such as 肏. I mean everybody knows the meaning, but the spoken word sometimes differs. I know it as cao(4). Isn't it?

Furthermore there are different understandings about writing da(3)pao(4)er(2). Is it 打炮儿, or should the pao rather be written with the strokes you use e.g. to write 认 (in front of the 人) rather than using a 火 in front of the whole charakter...? (should be mentioned that I'm talking about 肏 and not using a gun - if there is a difference, that is... ;-)

Well, I have to admit that these questions aren't that necessary but when I look to the rest of the forum, a discussion about this, highly seems to have it's eligibility.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "the spoken word sometimes differs"

Maybe you are confused by people saying "我靠!", which is an interjection to show shock or surprise that is less obscene .

• Charlotte Klemp

Recently I wrote 肏 and showed it a friend just for fun. He immediately recognised it in the same way that I know it, considering the meaning. However when I spoke it out he was irritated since he still agreed about the content but not about how it shoud be read. Unfortunately I forgot how he'd read it.

Anyway, that's what I meant about spoken-wise it eventually differs.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

It's pronounced "cao4" but you know that the initial C in pinyin is not pronounced like C in English, right? It sounds like "tsow". The "ts" is like the "ts" in "nuts", the "ow" is like the "ow" in "Ow, that really hurt".

• Charlotte Klemp

I know how to pronounce it. I never pronounced it as kao(4)/靠.

Anyway, even some Chinese are still not conform about the word behind the 字. Another thing is (not the way how to speak it but how to understand it, in following case) deng(1)儿.

Now I am not sure about the character but the meaning should be 'dick' whereas other Chinese youngsters think it's just a 'fool'....

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

It's the sounce of entering meat!

cou perhaps, I think the cantonese might have made up that character.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

- - - "Anyway, even some Chinese are still not conform about the word behind the 字"

I don't think so. Just look at the character - not exactly ambiguous...

• Charlotte Klemp

Pomegranate: And once again I got the slight feeling that you missed something in my posts. I already underlined that the meaning of 肏 is commonly understood. It's just about the choice of the SPOKEN word. When you think that it's not an ambigious case than you probably speak it out as: "rurou" which I've never heard before...

Do you know what I mean now? No one ever doubted that it's the f-word and that the charakter is a ru and a rou. Yes, all that's true but does everybody read it as "cao"? I heard about other words before (but defenitely not rurou....)

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

To be honest, your English is quite hard to follow. Like this: "When you think that it's not an ambigious case than you probably speak it out as: "rurou" which I've never heard before". I can't understand that.

Also, I think you are using "word" where you should be using "pronunciation". The pronunciation of the Mandarin F-word is always "cao", though people's accents differ.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Yeah, I've got to agree with the fruit above me. In mandarin, that's the word we all know and use unless we have some class. I think it might have another sound from canto perhaps.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.