Discussion » Nonsense » Indie rock in Beijing

• Liam (李安)
    Liam (李安) wrote:

Hello, I'm curious which Beijing bars/clubs play contemporary indie rock or dance rock (CSS, Cut Copy, Bloc Party, Interpol, MGMT, The Rapture etc.)

I don't necessarily mean at a live music venue. 

I've heard that Kai in Sanlitun has an indie night on Thursdays, but just want to know what my other options are. 

Thanks!

• Peter S 李贝勒

so, Leave China... quality and the level of music here is bad!!! if u like music go to london, berlin, paris or new york, but not beijing! eheh

good luck

• Peter S 李贝勒

so, Leave China... quality and the level of music here is bad!!! if u like music go to london, berlin, paris or new york, but not beijing! eheh

good luck

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Oh. You mean "indie" as some sort of generic post-punk musical style rather than the "independent" local music scene (which is actually pretty good if you know where to look).

Just listen to your iPod and die alone in a fire, you vile hipster scum.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

yeah, you could impugn his existence and call him names, or you could tell him 'where to look', you prejudgmental troll fucker

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Hush, Conan. Pretension is the currency of the hipster. I'm attempting to communicate with them in a way they will best understand.

• Turkmenbaschi
    Turkmenbaschi wrote:

wtf?

haha that is so pathetic right now :D:D:D:D

I hope he gets a good answer, coz I am interested as well.

for the local rock scene check out

mao livehouse, d22, and the third one i forgot, but there has to be more

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I remember when Facebook was only accessible to university students. Mark Zuckerberg used to have integrity.

• Simen Wangberg

"quality and the level of music here is bad!!!"

Wrong, fail, die in the fire, etc. There are decent bands of nearly every stripe here, some nights are just hit or miss. They're not all going to be winners, especially if you're catching the student bands at D-22. Hell, some of those bands are tight as well.

"Pretension is the currency of the hipster."

I only liked your first post on this forum. You got too commercial after that.

MAO Livehouse, D-22, 13 Club, What Bar, Jianghu Jiuba, Nojiji (haven't been there yet actually, it's way out in the sticks), Yugong Yishan and Club 121 are all solid picks for live local rock.

Jianghu Jiuba, What Bar and Club 121 are just as likely to have folk as anything else, 13 Club specializes in metal, D-22/Yugong/MAO are a mixed bag. D-22 is one of the dive-iest/cheapest, a lot of local bands cut their teeth there.

I'm not aware of any clubs that specifically spin indie/dance rock/whateverthefuck you want to call it on a regular basis; Kai Bar would not be my top pick for seeking out that kinda stuff, personally. Even if they do play it, that place is kind of a shithole. Cheap drinks though.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.