Discussion » Current Events » Abstinence program in China

• Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:

BEIJING - If all goes according to plan, this fall a girl somewhere in China's Yunnan province will tell her boyfriend she can't have sex with him. And he'll have an abstinence program from the United States to thank.

In Yunnan schools this year, teachers are being trained with a sex education curriculum created by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family. The agreement with the Yunnan ministry of education is a milestone for Focus on the Family, which has struggled for four years to make inroads on abstinence in China.

It is also the result of a narrow confluence of interests: Evangelical Christian groups want an entree into China. And Chinese authorities, despite the country's official atheism, want help with controlling population growth and managing the society's rapidly shifting values.

Chinese society has undergone major changes in recent decades, with divorce rates climbing steadily and migration and modernization putting increasing pressure on families, sociologists say. Wading into those waters, Focus on the Family has tried to market its marriage- and family-oriented programs as solutions. But Communist Party officials have been suspicious, at times, of the group's motivations.

At an early demonstration of the abstinence curriculum two years ago - given to the Communist Youth League of China in Hangzhou - teens were supposed to end the seminar by making a virginity pledge, the hallmark of the Christian group's abstinence program. But government officials quickly stepped in, insisting that the kids pledge to no one but the Communist Party.

"It hasn't been easy," said Deanna Go, China outreach director for the Colorado-based organization. "Everything takes longer here."

Officials in Yunnan, however, said Focus on the Family's message of abstinence resonated with the province's conservative leadership.

"Nowadays, teenagers have too many different channels for learning about sex," said Ma Lianhong, Yunnan's former secretary general of media, who introduced the Christian group to provincial leaders. "Even if you don't talk about it, they will just learn about it quietly by themselves, which is even more dangerous. . . . Abstinence is good for keeping the families steady and bringing down the divorce rate. And it complies with China's traditional morals."

Abstinence programs have generated considerable controversy in the United States and beyond. Critics point to research they say demonstrates that the approach is ineffective and argue that efforts should be geared instead toward safe-sex education. But proponents say the strategy has the potential to reduce the rates of out-of-wedlock births and sexually transmitted diseases.

In the past decade, Focus on the Family has found relative success with its abstinence program in other countries - notably majority Muslim nations such as Egypt and Malaysia, where its Christian brand of abstinence coincides with the teachings of Islam. Worldwide, the group says it has reached nearly 3 million teens.

China, however, has proved a tough market to crack. Premarital sex has become common in its developed cities. Even in the more rural areas, experts say, sexual mores are changing at a rapid pace. Condom companies are vying to capture a lucrative share of China's population of 1.3 billion. The United Nations, HIV-prevention groups and others are pouring millions into safe-sex programs. And abstinence, some say, is the last thing on Chinese teenagers' minds.

• Joakim Berg Solum

Fucking Christians. Let's all stop driving and riding bicycles too so we can all avoid vehicular accidents!

• Jacopo DR
    Jacopo DR wrote:

no no Christians are right about abstinence, actually they should always practice it, even after married.

• Joakim Berg Solum
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Even if you don't talk about it, they will just learn about it quietly by themselves, which is even more dangerous. . . .

Then why don't you just fucking start talking about it and actually educate people on that topic. Delaying the issue is not usually the best way to avoid it. It just makes it hideable for a while until it becomes too big and explode in your face.

Start educating all those kids on what a dick and a pussy are, how they work together, why you should be careful and how to be careful.

Wanna stop people from having kids, rather tell them how awful it is to have them, how you'll never have time to play video games anymore (for guys) and how loose your boobs and belly will look later (for girls) rather than not giving them the manual on how to do it.........

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

BEIJING - If all goes according to plan, this fall a girl somewhere in China's Yunnan province will tell her boyfriend she can't have sex with him, just like she normally would without religious interference in most cases in China.

Also, just like in most cases, her "no" will be interpreted to mean "probably", and her boyfriend will convince her to have sex anyway.

The difference is that now education efforts will be concentrated on abstinance rather than protection, so the couple won't have condoms available (I know, my story falls apart here because they weren't going to use condoms in the first place anyway). The girl will give the guy herpes, and the guy will give the girl a terrible interuterine parasite, known in Chinese as a 胎儿.

It will be a dark day.

• Simen Wangberg

On one hand, China could use a lick of abstinence/sex education in general.

On the other hand...Focus on the Family. Fuck my fucking life. Can't wait until some Chinese kid comes running up to me, Chick tracts in hand.

Although the mindless groupthink that comes with being an Evangelical Christian is quite appropriate for China, I think. Just another banner for people to rally around.

You know what they should really import over here if they wanna keep down birth rates? Whatever that new MTV show is that shows all the teen moms. That shit is depressing.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

in the case of catholic religion in china, the goverment is who designates the priests, the big point of conflict with the Vatican.
    And I think that this is the norm for all the religions and sects in china. Maybe looking for avoid no-harmonius sects like Fxxxxxxx
    so since my point of view, here there is a case of pragmatic doppelganger using a puritan costume.

the only people who will gain something with this, as has always been, will be the pimps and psychologists treating neurosis

• Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:

We've had two American teachers in BLCU,had some curious students over and shared with them some religious stories and ideas, kina like a reading group. Same week, they got kicked out of the country and were not allowed to ever come back.

My favourite English teacher graduated from Renmin university majored in English literiture---Bible direction. He was allowed to shared peices in the Bible as literiture meterial but was not allowed to offer any futher cultural/religious interpretaion about it.

In my city, you can become a Christian any time you want by being dumped into a public swimming pool, of course organized by "the church".

So proud that my country never cease to suprised me.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I thought that story was going to be "We've had two American teachers in BLCU,had some curious students over and the teachers told the students all sorts of sex education information the students had never learned, and then a wild sex orgy broke out, and they did every kinky thing imaginable."

That's a more common story I think (perhaps minus the orgy).  And the irony is, in that situation the Americans probably would not have been kicked out of the country, they might not even have been fired.  Just a slap on the wrist.  Or possibly no one would have found out about it at all.  Normally China is much more intolerant of religion than of sex, which makes the Focus on the Family intrusion all the more worrisome.

• Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:

We had another teacher in, gay, rumous say he always has male students over for "football games". (School rule for Professors's building: no staying over if not family) We've seen him with different boys in resteraunts around campus. He's been hitting on some of our classmates. Many boys get A in his course and fail others....

Never got a slap...

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

You're still quite angry that he didn't notice YOU instead of the boys it seems... ;-)

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

Yeah, I have met 2 Christians in China, and they both had serious social disorders.

It seems to me that many of these religious enterprises are just brainwashing the weak minded.

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Ethan said: "Normally China is much more intolerant of religion than of sex, which makes the Focus on the Family intrusion all the more worrisome." That's true, but I guess most countries are much more intolerant of religion than of sex. Many Americans oppose to build a Mosque near World Trade Center relics; More and more Americans even doubt their dear President Obama is a Muslim not a Christian, which they could never ever accept. it's very hard to brainwash people using sex to make them fly planes to hit skyscappers, perhaps that's why we are much more tolerant of sex:-)
  • Joakim Berg Solum

Shane, correction, "It seems to me that ALL of these religious enterprises are just brainwashing the weak minded."

What is there to be intolerant about with regards to sex? If sex is not tolerated, your entire country's population dies out in about 50 years. That's not very practical is it?

• Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:

@Saibo, yeah, that still hurts, drinking didn't help either...Speaking of which, we need another session tonight. lol.

@Shane, agreed. Religious enterprises, politicians, Pepsi, LV, Disney, Traditional Chinese Medicine...Brainwashing is the most powerful way to SELL...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Maria, "I guess most countries are much more intolerant of religion than of sex."

Funny, it seems like it should be the other way around. Religion can be used to get me to do absolutely nothing, but I can be severely manipulated if you dangle sex in front of me.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

According to sociologists, abstinence pledges have a poor performance record of preventing teen pregnancy and transmissions of STDs. And these studies were performed in the US, where people are comparatively deeply religious.

Chinese students need to be taught about condom use and how to prevent the spread of STDs. Focus on the Family is notorious for propagating myths about condoms being ineffective, birth control causing breast cancer, and of course demonizing abortion as a form of murder. Sounds pretty motherfucking harmonious, doesn't it?

Family values crusaders might make some short-term gains by telling kids to think of their parents before jumping into bed with someone, Freud be damned (in hell, a cigar is just a cigar, but it's still going in your asshole). But in the long-term, it doesn't teach kids about safe sex, which is useful shit to know even in a committed monogamous relationship.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.