Discussion » Beijing Life » Beijing is a really safe city,Right?

• Fazio
    Fazio wrote:

I asked a big amount of people come abroad or went abroad.

They told that Beijing is a safe City cause they even can walk alone in the midnight.

I love Beijing,and the Public security is one of Why to me.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Yeah, this is a safe place, you can walk alone in the midnight anywhere without worring too much about being robbed or sth, esp if you are a man. no kidding. Of coz I do the same in the town(US) where I am now, but I dare not walk alone in other places like Queens, Bronx or suburb of DC. I know I run fast, and I can fight, but...damn, they got GUNS! However, I LOVE these dangerous places, they make the city more "seductive". eg, one time I drove along Rhode Island Ave to DC downtown, then Georgetown, then came across Key bridge, it was like I visited three or four cities
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Beijing is the safest big city in the world. Period. I feel safer walking down the strrets of Beijing at 3 AM then I did in my hometown of 330, 000 people.
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

It depends on what kind of safety you are talking about.

I would walk around most part of Beijing at night and feel safe from violent crime. About one foreigner is stabbed to death every year - an American at the Drum and Bell tower, an Italian woman in her own home, a foreign tourist exploring near the Great Wall - but overal these cases are rare.

A foreigner died on the climbing wall at Ritan park a few years ago due to poor quality equipment. That's obviously a safety issue. There are currently safety inspections of theme parks in Beijing being held due to quite a few deaths around China.

China has the world's most dangerous roads although the peril is reduced somewhat by the fact that Beijing has some of the world's slowest traffic. If you do get hit by a car in central Beijing it's unlikely to be travelling at more than a snail's pace.

Women are targetted for crime in China. A common crime is for thieves on motorbikes to ride past and grab handbags from a woman. I know two women in Beijing who have experienced this. That can be a painful experience or cause injury.

Food safety is a big issue in China. Recently 56 people were sickened after eating in one restaurant in Huairou. This is often caused by corner-cutting. Toxic chopsticks, food boxes, cooking oil and preservatives are used to save a few yuan and cause serious food safety issues.

Then of course there is the air pollution.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Pomy, good morning to you too :)
  • jonny fagerli
    jonny fagerli wrote:

i should have to agree with pomy on this particular issue! ranking safety without any bases will literally leave nothing to be discussed! Beijing is safe on certain terms and might flaw on other terms! also individuals assertions should also be considered but yet again we still live in Beijing

• Hans Christian Eriksson

The city of beijing is really safe compared to many big cities. U can walk out at any time without no fear of being attacked. Just do not fight alone with one chinese, if not, u are running the risk of being attacked by heaps of  other cowards who would never  dare even look at  if he was to face u alone.

• Fazio
    Fazio wrote:
    Actually,not every Capital city is safe as Beijing.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I would rephrase that ... Beijing is not as safe as most capital cities :)

• jonny fagerli
    jonny fagerli wrote:

why does safety only has to do with the fact people would't attack you? when did the definition of safety ever change to this? any one wants to help out?

• jonny fagerli
    jonny fagerli wrote:

why does safety only has to do with the fact people would't attack you? when did the definition of safety ever change to this? any one wants to help out?

• MPA茉茉
    MPA茉茉 wrote:

who told u that??? hahaha

just cus we safe so it is a safe city~

• Fazio
    Fazio wrote:
    默 wrote: Posted 8 hours ago who told u that??? hahaha just cus we safe so it is a safe city~ So,give me some examples.proove bejing is not safe.
  • Undermoonlight

Depends on what kind of places you came from~~

• Petter Meisfjordskar

It is safe if a gold digger never bothers your pocket.

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Beijing is safe only because its more crowded at 03.00 AM than for instance Stockholm is at 15.00 PM.

Trying to find a place to pee without anyone seeing is difficult enough.

Another reason is that the psycho people get murdered very quickly here.
    Survival of the normal. 

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Yes, Beijing is so safe from violence that even if there is any you'll never hear about it without a friend in the media. But really, I do think it is very safe. After all, there is almost nowhere in the city limits where you're not on camera, so only people who live outside the city would intentionally commit violent crimes there.

I never had any kind of food sickness in my life before living in Beijing, so I think Pomegranite's right that it's not safe in that respect.

• Maggie Wang
    Maggie Wang wrote:

lol...everywhere there is no absolutely safe. I never had any kind of food sickness in Beijing. I have live here for 23 years.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... as the saying goes, it takes some times to get used to ... if you have come from a clean neighbourhood (or have been living in a bubble), you could get very sick when you first came here ... in my case, between May and Nov 2006, I had (at least) one high fever (40C) every month, and a couple of flus ...

• Maggie
    Maggie wrote:

SH does better than BJ in this aspect

• Fazio
    Fazio wrote:
    莫明: Every city got the same thing.Like violence in dark,And no one know it.Even western Even Capital,Even christism.Actually,I was a jurnailist in Beijng and Huhehot.I know alot thing like that.But it doesnt mean Beijing is not Safe. About the food sickness,Mabe thats ur problem.like U choosen a super bad resturant,or just ur Physicue is not matched for kinda Chinese resturant.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.