Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » "Oh my Lady GaGa !" Where does it come f

• N-Die 北京的法国人
    N-Die 北京的法国人 wrote:

Im more and more surprised by the evolution of chinese language...

My last surprise was when my students told me "Oh my Lady Gaga" ! i said "sorry ? Oo "

They : "you don't know ?!"

Me : "Lady gaga, yes i know thanks, but what do you mean.."

They : "Oh my lady gaga it's the new expression !"

Me : " --' hao ba"

Anyone could bring some bright light to my mind and explain to me WHY ? eheh

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:

lol,coz it sounds like "oh,my God"

and since Lady gaga is so famous as her music can be heard everywhere already

have become a trend here,so they add her name as their pet phrase~I guess

they thought it was cool~ 

• N-Die 北京的法国人

Oh thank you for this explanation :)

And is it used only online or they also use in daily life ?

I saw this on renren

• Yasir A.J
    Yasir A.J wrote:

i hate this word!

i think its so weird!! but thanx for letting me know its story!

oh my maichel jackson !

• Sasha 莎莎 Wang

if another chinese girl screams this at the top of her lungs i think the world might blow up.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

And some peeping tom took this video when I was practising my dance moves last night ... whoever you are, you'd bet your sweet bottom that I will find out who you are, and hunt you down ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

oh, forgot to say this ... oh my ga ga ...

Actually, with certain accents, or exaggeration, "god" is very close to "guard" or "ga", so it was perhaps natural to say that? I mentioned "懒音" in another thread, which is kind of similar ...

oh my ga ga ...

• Joy
    Joy wrote:
    this reminds me another two words i just heard from a friend. they are " niubility" and "zhuangbilization" which mean“ niu bi " and " zhuang bi " lol
  • Monica Jakobsen
    xavier hope that isnt you dacing in that video hahah jokesz.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

ah ya ya ... Some girls from Beijing Foreign something took that video, and then put it on You Tube ...

• Undermoonlight

What a versatile man!~~~(refering to the fantastic video)

• Monica Jakobsen
    guy in the video is a joke lol but u should check out ownage pranks on youtube. click on "angry asian resturant" and " asian crisis hotline"
  • Undermoonlight

It's really not part of the Asian culture~~It's just some Asians who got some opportunities to go to the western countries, learned (superficially) from the demeanor of the westerners, and then became kind of eager to show How Advanced They Were~~...eh, I think, no need to add any subjective comments~

• jonny fagerli
    jonny fagerli wrote:

undermoonlight! now I vehemently disagree with your comment above.... what isn't part of Asian culture and what qualifies to be part ? I am no thinking by Asian you mean Chinese? anyway like all other similar comments I have heard pretty much came from very narrow minded point of views... 

better not run it down into the ground...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Apparently the phrase comes from an episode of Ugly Betty.

Later, it was used by a presenter on the Chinese TV show Happy Camp.

I can understand how some Chinese people might find it attractive. "Hey ... I know the phrase 'Oh my God'! AND I know who Lady Gaga is! That's cool!"

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

You know what? Instead of saying "You bet!" the cool kids these days say "You Beckham!"

Pass it on.

• jonny fagerli
    jonny fagerli wrote:

you Beckham? wow! am getting old! that seem lengthy for me though 

• N-Die 北京的法国人

Well language is alive, that's why it is constant evolution...

Chinese is more open to the world, so of course chinese language will be marked by english, maybe other language later.

Far to say every evolution is good, but it's making the language more richful at the end.

For exemple french is influenced by english too, some people welcome that, some are more conservative. But it's a fact

So far "niubilization, oh my lady gaga, you beckam" not very interesting but still it's a funny begining

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.