Discussion » Beijing Life » 1 reason to hate Beijing...

• 马克
    马克 wrote:

I am sort of fed up with this city, recently... sort of Home sick ... i wonder that maybe you all have reasons to hate beijing, or a Big one reason not to live here....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... only one? I can think of quite a few ... but whatever you are going through or thinking, let's talk offline, ok?

• Christopher Dame

TOO MUCH DRAMA!!!!

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:

I missing the ancient world~~back in time to ppl only use gesture,bodilauguage to communicate。good~right?

• Joakim Berg Solum

The irony of you writing what you wrote is too much for me CiaraL. Anyways, I want some of what you are smoking...

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

I missing the ancient world~~back in time to ppl only use gesture,bodilauguage to communicate

then try with the sign language of deaf people, or also look for a neanderthal survival into the modern age and be friends

• №❶ Passioη

1. Vicky

• Daniel Kristoffersen
    xenophobia, as a beijing local
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.

• Simen Stensvoll
    too dry
  • Camilla Olsen
    Camilla Olsen wrote:

smokers are free to kiss their cigarets even in the night club.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

Beijing is getting too big and out of hand with time

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Pollution; both air and noise. That's probably the main reason I don't live in Beijing.

• Yumiko_wang921
    everywhere is so crowded,and so many people nothing to do,then go out to make something bad,and make so dirty on the rode and everywhere.peope no has rules in this city,they are breaking it...
  • Benjamin Opsal

Pollution, You will never see a blue sky

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Ha ha ha! This thread makes me miss Beijing.
  • 哥们
    哥们 wrote:

Beijing is a drug. People complain but stay here. If it wasn't a good drug, you would just leave, right 马克?

• NN
    NN wrote:

Traffic Jam

Pollution

Sometimes people being like a cynic

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:
    既爱又恨的城市...
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

come on!! 北京话牛比

• Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

马克, just go back to your own country if u are tired of Beijing, and i am sure after 2 weeks at home, you will start miss  china and beijing again. I promise you, you will miss beijing as soon as you back to ur own country. Thats what other foreingers did all the times. 

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

in my spainish ears sounds very cool, because we love rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ratón, tigre, roedor, corredor, rapido, rabia, rabano, redondo, crio, cangrejo.... God bless the r !!!!

五道口儿,三里屯儿,,,,,,  天安门儿 :P (i know i know in this case nooooo)

you said: sometimes I dont even understood it, wellin my case, this is the most of the time XD

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Too huge. Singapore is only 4% of Beijing.
  • Martine Solheim

Beijing sucks for good snacks!!!! Give me western snacks without the Jenny Lou price tags. I just got home from my first trip to the USA (very different to say the least and I'm an Aussie), i missed Beijing while I was there, but now that I'm home i'm not sure how I feel about being back. PS I agree with the whole BJ is a drug......very hard to stay and very hard to leave.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

the spanish -r- is similar to the italian way and I only speak good the old art of 骂人 :P

--------------------------------------

And being a little motherfucker, i don´t know why some of you complain about the crowds everywhere here, they are the thing that make -big- this city, a big cake for the companies and investments.

A lot of people here imply a la lot of demand of jobs, so the bosses and companies can down the salaries, because (using a frequent expression) if you don´t want this job other person will want this job. So benefits and plusvalia everywhere. GDP overexciting.

• Christopher Dame

drammaaaaaaaaaa.. you dont see the bad part of beijing till you do your highschool here

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

hm, even though we all live in Beijing, i wonder how many of you guys are really from Beijing. It seems that all those young Chinese staying in Beijing now are creating a new form of the local Beijing slang.

Exsample: a Beijinger say 你丫、丫(=他/她) but never use 我丫 —— or we dont put the 儿form everywhere, especially to location names that seems to be more important or where a 儿form seems to be rather disturbing: we say 广渠门儿, but never say 天安门儿, maybe because the term 门儿 is often refered to a smaller or unimportant door and not a real big gate. Especially in case 前门, if you say 前门儿 it actually means the front door and not the former official south gate of Beijing City.

i dont know maybe ppl think it is funny to use the 儿form everywhere they want, fine. but maybe it helps to know that this form wasnt designed to be used without reason and principles.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

webslave said: i dont know maybe ppl think it is funny to use the 儿form everywhere they want

maybe some of these people are  from 东北, also they like 儿, like in 服务员儿!!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... 儿? This seems similar to what is sometimes known as 懒音 in Cantonese ...

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

叮噹叔叔. 懒音 ? i can not find it using internet O_o

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Ah ... how can I explain it? When you learn Mandarin ...

* suddenly the Alps appeared, and Auntie Julie running down the mountain with the kids *

Let's start at the very beginning
    A very good place to start.
    When you read you begin with—
    A B C
    When you sing you begin with do re mi
    Do re mi?

* back to reality, or whatever this is *

... well, as I was about to say, Mandarin comes in 4 "notes" (probably not the right word, since I have never learned Mandarin properly), whereas Cantonese comes in 8 (this is probably wrong too, but that's not the point), and many "lazy" people (including myself) sometimes speak the wrong one, and we call it 懒音 ...

Using a very, very bad example in Mandarin ... 窝 and 我 ... these two are both "wo", but they have different tones ... if you say the wrong one, we call it 懒音 in Cantonese (or perhaps ONLY in Hong Kong?) ...

* back to the Alps now ... Auntie Julie, wait for me *

• Simen Wangberg

"taxi drivers   ~ stupid, retard, drive round and round for extra bucks"

In my experience, the only ones that do this are the 车 (black taxi). I've never had a regular cabbie try to rip me off, with the exception of the very first taxi I ever took here (just walked up to the guy with a wad of cash and pointed to an address on a business card. I didn't know it was only a block away...)

The legal cabbies are almost always super-nice, actually - a few times, they've turned off their meter and not charged me anything cos they took me to the wrong place, which was almost always my fault to begin with.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

@ (潇然) Adolfo Secades

"maybe some of these people are  from 东北, also they like 儿, like in 服务员儿!!"

you know before the Manchus fall in Centrual China and took Beijing as there governmental residence, the language around Beijing area in the Ming Dynasty rather sounded rather like nowadays Zhejiang dialect. The Beijing slang we know now started to take shape after the royals and emperor family settle down in Beijing and slowly adopted many elements of the Han Chinese culture, including spoken and written language. It took not long that a new fashionable slang spread out from the forbidden city and royal families, that has become known now as Beijing dialect. Since the Manchus came from Dongbei area, you will find a lot trails and traits that must had their impact on the spoken language.

So even though the history of Beijing as Capitol is about 1000 years, the real Beijing culture we are familiar now is basically for the most formed during the last 400 years.

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    weather~
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    traffic
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    airport!!!stupid airport~~~hate it tooooooo much~~
  • Christian Hansen
    My top one... one-bedroom apartment's cost for renting! It is hard to find a good balance between the quality of the apartment and its rent price
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Yeah, I've never really had a problem with Beijing cabbies. I think many expats confuse moonlighting waidiren upstarts who have no idea where the fuck they're going with institutionalized efforts to scam them.

Dudes driving cabs who aren't real drivers? In my city? It's more likely than you think.

But Korean cabbies take top honors for coolness.

I got wasted once in Seoul and was too drunk to find my (love) motel. I got into a cab and told him the address, which was about 100m away.

"Don't worry about it," said Mr. Polite Cabbie as he turned off the meter. "It happens to all of us."

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

webslave@ thanks for your explanation ;)

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

you are welcome, i guess even many Beijingers dont know this. A friend who are really into History told me that. I also saw it on TV when they were talking about Beijing history.

• Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:

Sabina

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

I am beijing girl ,,i was hate beijing as so many people there,,,so many pressure,,but when i really stay in other city which is strange for me,,,i really start miss her,,,we all complain..bula bula bula ,,..

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Zestxfactor, 你如果遇到我的青春和梦想,请告诉它们我受不了了,已经跑走了。希望它们跟着我走。

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

听起来你很自我,,但换个角度又有点沮丧

• Noprobnisouci
    Noprobnisouci wrote:

The thing i hate the most in beijing is the elevator at the airport T3. I bet it's the slowest on earth!

The rest is ok ^_^

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

I think the only thing I don't like about china is the internet speed and Google Image Search. The rest is easy to avoid if you just learn how.

• Siren Dahlkvist

1. Rude

2. Smell

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Kent ... "avoid", does not mean "disappear", and you will still hate it, right? ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

#1: complaining expats.

But ya know what else really grinds my gears? The lack of pedestrian right of way.

I'm not just talking about the assholes in black Audis who honk their horns and speed through busy hutongs or make left turns when masses of people who are walking have a green light to cross the street.

I mean commuters in the subways, too. People stop walking in busy areas, blissfully unaware that there are people behind them. On the escalators, one should stand to the right. On the left, you should fucking climb. Slower traffic should keep to the right, just like on the roads. Show some common courtesy to the people behind you who have to smell your farts.

At the airport and in the subway transfer stations, they're called moving walkways for a fucking reason. They're for walking. Faster than if you were walking on stationary ground. They're not fucking stopping standways for holding hands with your girl/boyfriend who's wearing an identical t-shirt. Fuck you. I've got places to be, and I will stick thumbs up both your asses if you get in my way.

In b4 "too many people in China". This shit doesn't happen in Hong Kong.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... in the end, and also from the beginning, it is all about "what's in it for me" ...

Dando ... the number of people is just an excuse, it is a matter of "up bringing", and most people were taught to always think about themselve first ... by the way, make sure you sanitise your thumb, but it might be better to cut it off ...

Off to lunch :)
  • 申琪 Annie Shen
    have you heard of a kind of people called "bei piao"? yes, i m a kind of that people. i hate that. i wanna have my own family and carrer here. and i hate people talk about you re some outsiders of this city. how much i wish people will not have the mind! wish someone could realize that you re belong here and going to do something here.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... dare I say, Chinese (in general, but then, a lot of people would disagree) is the most discriminaitve country (if not as a race) in the world, since they heavily discriminate against their own kind

Annie, welcome to Beijing :)
  • Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    see all
  • Xiao
    Xiao wrote:
    Well, to Annie, honestly I don't think Beijingers have enough time or energy to talk about outsiders, they get up at 6am to rush into the subway, ready to be stepped on any minute just like you. They themselves don't belong to this city either. Are you sure it's not you who think you don't belong to this place?
  • Tonje Dahl
    Tonje Dahl wrote:
    fed up with drama......and i am getting more and more stupid.
  • Colin Jacobsen

after i read this topic

i realise how much i love beijing

• IRIC
    IRIC wrote:
    猴离谢特! MY English sucks, I have no idea of what you guys talking about!
  • Peter S 李贝勒

reverse the question... what do u like in beijing?

only 2 things easy job and mei nu...

otherwise

pollution, crazy traffic jam, shagua who understand nothing, low cultural level, dictatorship, police, corruption, no freedom of speech, people who push u, people always try to cheet u, what about the human right? etc etc

• Vicky Zhang
    Vicky Zhang wrote:
    i have a thousand reasons to hate beijing, but all these reasons make me love Beijing even more, crazy fall in love with Beijing, bbbbbbbig kiss muma~
  • Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

stop complaining and travel a little, then you'll remember how AMAZING beijing is. i fxxking love this city!!

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

AM, if you think this is bad, you obviously haven't been to Lanzhou..

• Camilla
    Camilla wrote:

@ Dando Z 单独子: THANK YOU for bringing the escalator problem out in daylight! And you use the same argument as me; In HK you dont have this problem.. China on the other hand have a instruction movie on the Subway on how to behave thou.. Stand to the RIGHT in escalator, and GIVE your seat to pregnant/old people... If only those who need to, would pay attention..

@Mountaingirl: I have! Lets just say that I moved back to Beijing for more than one great reason.. I read in a Shangahai newspaper that they hope everyone may try their best to resist wearing pyjamas outside during the Expo.. If not the police are during these months allowd to ask you go home and change.. I rest my case.. Dogshit, traffic jam, and beijing-rrrrr for the wind!

Google, Facebook, etc dindt work any better in Shanghai than in Beijing either.. And you say you get around for 30RMB? In Beijing you get half the city around for a 30RMB taxi fare.. Example: In Shanghai you have to spend 2 kuai for the bus! In Beijing you spend the same money for taking the subway where ever you'd like to go..!

• Peter S 李贝勒

stop to compare china with china. Cause (on my taste), the 3 towns in china are beijing shang hai and hong kong, the rest is the country side...

U have to compare capital with capital.

So, i really prefere, Berlin, London, New York or Paris, for exemple... the quality of life in these towns is really better than in beijing...

• Simen Stensvoll
    my love is not here
  • Camilla
    Camilla wrote:

@Pierre B Stone...  wrote: "...the rest is the country side"

May I ask where else in China you have been?

• Camilla
    Camilla wrote:

...What I just realized by this thread, there might be plenty of reasons to dislike Beijing, but not one true reason to hate this city! ★

• Peter S 李贝勒

@ camilla

i went to a lof places in china, the list is too long.

i m agree 'hate' is a little bite too stong.

Very often i think "lao wai" who are living in beijing have a  kind of sinusoid feeling about the town. U love it, then u hate it, then u love it, then fed up again...me and several of my friends are like that...

what about U all? and what about U chinese people?

• Camilla
    Camilla wrote:

The things the white folks here mention thou, is not Beijing in general.. But China.. There was a chinese girl here earlier who mentioned she "hate the beijing hukou system", thats a great problem white people for sure can be happy they dont have!

• Peter S 李贝勒

@ camilla

but we have visa...

• Camilla
    Camilla wrote:

@ Pierre

Yes, for China. I picked out something which is actually special for Beijing ;) Thou it's not fair to compare visa with hukou system.. If you have your visa, you dont hava any trouble.. I see the trouble of leaving to HK get new visa etc etc... I know how its like! ;) But we chose this as a part of living in China.. Being Chinese, in a city in China and get trouble because you have a "farmer"-hukou (Coming from a smaller city..) that affect their living a lot more than those countless times we renew our visas!

• Peter S 李贝勒

@camilla!

welcome to china a country of equality and human right!!! then if they don t want to give u a visa, it s just like "fuck u" u even don t have the right to go somewhere in china...

and it happens, so i don t think that it s less or more than the hukou system...

it s just a bad system as they use to do here...

• Markus G
    Markus G wrote:

@楼上: Are you the nut who believes that China blocked Facebook to prevent terrorist attacks? Can´t find the respective thread anymore. Anyway, your comments always make my day ..

• Frederik Svanem

too many waidi shabi,let their kids runing around in restaurants,pee on mall floor,spit on street,play music outloud with cellphone on bus,biggest contribution from waidi shabi to this town is,they steal your bikes.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    ...aaand #2: "Locals" blaming all sorts of shit on 外地人.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.