Discussion » Travel » What is ChangSha like?

• SoulCreative Web Studios
    SoulCreative Web Studios wrote:

Hey everyone,

I am going to be living in ChangSha for 6 months. I am leaving on the 25th if my VISA goes through. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about ChangSha. Also, is there any english social networking sites for ChangSha? Perhaps a weliveinChangsha.com? I'd like to make some friends their before I arrive.

Lastly, would anyone mind helping me setup a renren account? Google translation isn't helping me.

Thanks,

Daniel Lessor

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

Yeah,renren.com is a good place that you want to make many friends.I can help you setup a account.Well,you just need tell me your information,such as mail address,name,etc

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Yeah, I've been to Changsha a few times... A lot of people don't speak Chinese there, they speak something called Changshahua, which sounds like retarded aliens screaming at eachother. This probably doesn't affect you much since you don't speak Chinese, but don't expect to learn it there. (of course, a lot of people there also do speak Chinese, but I would say the majority don't speak it well, and you'll be hearing much more retarded alien screams).

For a capitol, I would say it is not a big city. There's no subway system, and the airport has about 6 gates. Not an international place. The most famous specialty food is rotten tofu. It doesn't taste bad, but you can't get within 5 meters of it without wanting to vomit from the stench of the cooking. For some reason, people think it is a good idea to cook it on the streets where people are trying to breathe.

Also, I hope you like hot peppers in all your food. The food is good though anyway.

Oh yeah, you can buy an apartment there for like 30,000 USD. I guess if you rent a 1 bdrm place it will be 500~1500 RMB a month (80-200 USD), depending on where you live. I'm assuming you're getting sent there by a recruiter since no one who isn't from Hunan would ever willingly choose to live in Changsha, so you are probably getting sent to a very remote area and I guess the rent should be closer to 500 RMB.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    I have a friend who lives in Changsha. He says it's like Graceland for Mao instead of Elvis.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

super hot in summer and cold in winter. Super spicy the food.

Not a good place to study China coz people there have a pronunciation problem, in which they cannot differentiate n and l. But after all, which part of China does not have a pronunciation problem?

BTW

Changsha is closed to a little town called Phoenix, which might worthy for a visit.

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

errr.....dialects are common everywhere in China..and all these dialects (except Cantonese) are Mandarin (the only difference is whether it is a strong one or just fine).

So I personally think it is better to learn chinese in Beijing coz u have more chance to talk to people speaking in standard putonghua. But it is also highly depended on what kinds of people you would mess up with, too..

In other places in china, most people will response you in standard Mandarin, or let say as standard as they could, since u are a foreigner. But they will speak to each other in dialects and most of the old men would possibly never speak in standard putonghua.

The only exception could be in Shenzhen, where the local people speak in Cantonese, but there are soooo many people from north that most of them speak in Mandrian too.

But actually it is not a big problem for a foreign learner. So dont worry about that.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.