Discussion » Nonsense » Give me a new Chinese name

• №❶ Passioη
    №❶ Passioη wrote:

Hello Chinese friends,

My real name is "John Asin" (约翰爱心). I need a new real chinese name for something formal and urgent... Give me a nice name, not too romantic, moderately attractive and fitting for a strong nice smart intelligent guy like me...

Existing superstar names are not acceptable. Quick! 

• №❶ Passioη

@ Cathy - the less the better I guess... let's try 2 ;

@ Others - All you emos who claim to be chinese, this is where to prove your chineseness. Give me a damn name, a good one

• Edvin Eikild Sehm

春哥 is cool!!  JZ

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

JZ, lol@蠢哥

You don't like existign superstar names, so we can't use 阿信huh? It would be fitting tho, I like 信乐团. Tangent: I was at the FIR concert earlier this year and some little girl requested they sing 死了都要爱 ^^

战心, can that be a name? I don't think it would be considered a good one if it could, but I am obviously unqualified to pick Chinese names for anyone...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I am just going with the pronunciation,

Your screen name is Number One Passion ...

Num - roughly similar to 林

One - very similar to Won or Wen ... 问 or 温

... Ye Wen (叶问) is popular, due to the movie(s), so perhaps 林问 is not a bad choice ...

Your real name (?) is John Asin ...

Asin - roughly translated to 艾心, I will choose 艾, no particular meaning though

John - roughly translated to 壮, meaning strong

Does 艾壮 sound OK?

• Colin Jacobsen
    约翰爱心 is cute actually. how about "艾思汉" 艾 is a surname in chinese. 思汉 shows the love from you to china. and also the pronouncation goes to ur english name. so i think 艾思汉 (ai si han)is not bad.
  • №❶ Passioη

@ JZ - huh? 春哥? May the strong wind of Beijing sweep you away like a piece of paper, but leave your instrument behind for posterity :D

@ Ming - Your Chineseness is not entirely forth coming today, I'll findout why

@ DingDong - "Dominic"? are you serious? Introducing myself as 艾壮 will prompt the chinese officials to throw me out the window before my presentation hihi... seriously, I neeeeeeeeeed a reeeeeeeeeeal Chineeeeeeeeese name

@ Yin Wei - You almost make sense. 艾思汉 , Any existing Chinese fellow with this name? makes me sound quite attractive (hopefully also to chinese officials ;)

names pls? good names

• Synne Syverstad
    岳涵 yue3 han2 岳 is a common chinese family name while 涵 means "contain", if u say one "有内涵",“有涵养” means he knows a lot and behave well.
  • Calli Joo
    Calli Joo wrote:

I am just going with the pronunciation too. (not very presicely)

John Asin  ---  庄永森,祝永森,钟永森     永森means ... every good things.

• Simen Stensvoll
    Passioη =巴森
  • 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

how about 陈森(chen sen)杨铭(yang ming)?they're all real Chinese names,i think good,but don't relate to your real name

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

• Danilo Vasquez

Don't worry about it, focus on your presentation.

I have been in many meetings with gov officials in the last few months, due I will be investing in China. My chinese name is 海克特 (Hector), wich is in my biz card, and I believe is better than choose a real chinese name. Good luck!

• Ch
    Ch wrote:
    agree with叮当叔叔, better translate Asin to 艾 OK, here's my suggestion: for a strong guy: 艾壮壮 or 艾强强 (personally,I prefer the former) for a nice guy: 艾帅帅... and 艾美美 is also a good choice though it's a little girly. but it's cool for a man to pick a girl's name, isn't it? think about Tracy McGrady. for a smart intelligent guy: 艾聪聪 for a strong nice smart intelligent guy like you (sure u are really that great? lol, joking..:D) 艾棒棒 which means superb and great good luck, Asin!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

WTF. Is this like Dances With Wolves where the natives are supposed to supply a moniker that perfectly crystalizes the essential personality of the honorable outsider? Yeah, right. Chinese folks scarcely put so much effort into naming one another, let alone foreigners. Go out to the countryside and meet boys named "strong ox" and some girls named "waiting for a younger brother," "announces the arrival of a younger brother," and "barely crawled out from under the pile of fetuses behind the hospital".

How about instead of asking forum goons to name you, you ask a well-read Chinese friend? I asked a student of Ancient Chinese at BLCU, and she helped me pick out characters to transliterate my English name without using sappy characters like love or heart, because "love language" is just about the most cliche shit for a romantically libertine ESL teacher to call himself. When Chinese people see it written with other characters, they laugh at first. How'd this ignorant foreigner end up with a name he can only write using the pinyin entry on his cell phone?

Then they argue about how to pronounce it.

Then I trollface.jpg

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Go out to the countryside and meet boys named "strong ox" and some girls named "waiting for a younger brother," "announces the arrival of a younger brother," and "barely crawled out from under the pile of fetuses behind the hospital".

LOL Dando, lucky I'm not up north anymore or I'd totally force-marry you for that one.

• №❶ Passioη

well well well...

@ Chaton Du Nounours - well composed, I'm kinda lost to how that 有涵养 sounds as a real chinese name... if you'd name your dearest one that then I put it on the list ;) thanks 

@  Heifun - thanks but my former boss (major enemy) used to call me Shen Yong (永) Qiang. I kinda hate that name lately hehe. let's try something else ;)

@ Miss K in Fall - You read my mind... I was about to use 巴森 as a new restaurant name. I hope it fetches some customers for them;) xie xie

@ Sasuke(Kathy) - My apartment agent's name is "Yang Ming", I don't fancy the name at all... however, I put your "Chen Sen" on the list - especially if I'll feature in a Kung Fu movie, quite suitable. Thanks

@ 单独子  I kinda wonder how you got that funny chinese name.

If you by the mercy of a smoking / drinking jesus (or now by an x-headed SinCity character) would always find something wrong with words of a brilliant innocent one (me), at least you could reserve that awfully senseless reply for the 'dick-size topics'. Your early release calls for a little more barking BUT as usual I'll try to make some sense out of your epic crap.

1. You're not chinese so you don't prove so useful on this one

2. If the word "options" means anything to you, rule out your whole second paragraph

After you digest those 2, get 'chinalised' and come back for more ;)

• NN
    NN wrote:

Asin reminds me 信  and I actually personally like this chinese character

It would be reallyl cool to call a guy 信

But since you need 2 words,so probably 庄信 (John somehow it sounds like 庄 zhuang,and as above,Asin really so closer to 信)

• №❶ Passioη

@ - N - You can call me "信" ;)

@ Danilo - I kinda skipped this one. Thanks for easing my little worries. BTW, you have my brother's name (Hector), he disappeared for 7 years and came back as a 1st class prodigal son... and now I just learned from you how to say his name in Chinese 海克特 ... nice way to pull his legs 海 (sea) 克 (point) 特 (grams) hehe

a few more days to choose me a best name... 紧张

• Miss Nice
    Miss Nice wrote:

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

U MAD

单独子 is a handle, not a name. Why would Chinese people argue about how to pronounce something that simple? No, I'm talking about the transliteration of my English name, which I won't share here, because, duh.

And my avatar is not a SinCity character, either. Your pop cultural awareness is made of shit and fail.

Can't be fucked to sort out the rest of your awkward gibberish. Learn to take a joke, son.

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:

in chinese~卓恩 is a nice name~~formal~considered your family name~~you can add a 艾before it~~

• Tonje Dahl
    Tonje Dahl wrote:
    i prefer two charcater name ...i think it is more impressive ...dont named some complicated charcter for it is kinda weird ....so i think .张奕 it is similiar to JOHn
  • №❶ Passioη

@ Dando Z - bad joke for bad joke ;) I hope we're good now :P

@ Amy Lee - You can call me whichever one pleases you, I still need a formal one though ;)

@ Miss Nice - You scored 6 points at the end of the first round... (your suggested name is listed ;)

@ Yes Sir - I should tell you that name has a side-effect, gradually makes you a daydreamer... check it out and return to sender hehe. Word!

@ CiaraL - nice one, but why change my "爱“ to "艾"? hmmm... 

@ Kitz - Some emotional implication with the name Zhang (张) at this period. I have to avoid that name for at least 3 more weeks... too bad. 奕 is fine though ;)

• Stef
    Stef wrote:
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    No one suggested "爱神" ?
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:

becos u said u wanna a formal name~~and we dont  place 爱in family name but 艾~so I changed it~~but just for reference~

• №❶ Passioη
    @ Chen XiaoQiu - thanks for your brilliant analysis. The Ai is fine but the onomatopoetic additions make me sound much like a pet hehe. I'm thinking of transfering one of those your cute names to my cat (e.g: ai mei mei) hmmm...

@ Stef - 大福? Nice one indeed, I am

@ Maria - I didn't know I was that much 'love inclined'... I could use that as a nickname if you further suggest its positive significance ;) pm

@ CiaraL - in fact, the 艾 Is easier to write (in my case, draw :) 5 additional points to you
  • NN
    NN wrote:

“夢爽” this sounds weird  

• №❶ Passioη
    ok, before I seal the deal... Any distinctive suggestions or special ideas?
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

The most appropriate name for you is 沈京兵.

• ANN
    ANN wrote:

• Rebecca Arnesen

I hear it alot, obviously quite popular in china

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    you ar picky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just accept it~~~
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

(Ai Xin Jue Luo, the family name of the last emperor)

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

seriously: 艾中恩 (Ai Zhong En)

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    爱新觉罗.........................................................?????hahaahahahahahahahahahahaha its really funny~~
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

In English you'd read it as Aisin Giro, so it's quite similar to Asin (John)

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    nope~~its mogolian~~so the prounace quit different~~hehehehe~~
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

mongolian??? it must be Manchu i guess? sorry it shoul be like Aisin Gioro

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.