Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » How come all foreigners think Chinese people eat a

  • Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

    Today i was holding a cute black puppy dog and talking with my friend outside of my Sunkissed Tanning Studio.

    Suddently a foreign guy who just passed by us and said :" oh, the dog is black, so you should eat it.

    I said:" why?

    he said:" because you chinese people eat everything.

    Then I said:" I never eat dogs in my life, prohaps the people in your country eat dogs.

    He said:" no, we dont. but i will try to eat dogs, because chinese people eat everything thats why i come to china! ( then left)

    Actually he was not the only one foreigner who told me that chinese people eat everything. What i wanna tell to some ignorance foreigners is that there is only 83,000,000 chinese people from Guang dong provinece they do eat variety of animals like sneak stuff, and the rest of chinese people, they dont!

    Chinese families use to be very poor and cant afford to buy lots of meats. So the most popular meats are Pork, lamb, duck, chicken, beef. Thats all, but i do know some westerns eat pigen meat as well.

    (I am thinking why all foreigners thought that chinese people eat everything was  maybe because most chinese people who live aboard before were from guangdong province or south of China)

     

  • Shane
    Shane wrote:

    83,000,000 is ten times the population of the population of michigan, and about 1/4 the population of the united states. And I know plenty of  people from Beijing who eat dog on occasion.

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    There are hundreds of restaurants in Beijing that sell dog meat.

     

    I bet you can buy dog meat in every city in China.

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    People from Sichuan and Yunnan eat worms.

    People from most Chinese provinces eat dog.

    It's not just Guangdong people.

    How do you not know this??

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    In Beijing you can eat almost any animal, even endangered species.

  • 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:
    Eat dog,I think it's very normal,it's nothing, I ever ate dog when I was a child,very delicious. But it's very cruel to eat pigeon
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

    I'm sure all the people from Guangdong will feel very happy that you just got rid off a stereotype someone applied to you by applying it to them.

    Because of course each and every single person in Guangdong eat dogs, babies worms and whatsoever....

    Only place I was offered dog meat in my life was Shanghai btw. Offered to buy a live puppy to go  cook it myself later. I asked how much for a half kg, but that guy wouldn't sell me only a half dog. Left disappointed...

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    北京人爱吃狗肉。

    http://www.dianping.com/search/keyword/2/0_%E7%8B%97%E8%82%89

    If you love eating dogs, Beijing is a good place to be!

  • 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:
    ahaha,I haven't eaten dog meat for many years since that time
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Let's not get carried away 马克.

    Dogs were not pets in China until recently so why should they not be thought of as a meat animal?

    If in your country pigs were household pets then you would not feel happy about eating them!

    Currently, China is in a transformation stage. Due to the one-child policy and rising disposable income, dogs have become extremely popular as pets and so there is a rising tide of public feeling against eating dog meat.

    That's why you have Chinese people on this thread pretending that actually it's only those bloody GUANGDONG PEOPLE!!! who eat dog. That's a total lie but will probably become true fairly soon.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... pork and beef are getting expensive these days, so I wont be surprised if certain restaurants in Beijing (or else) might be serving dogs, cats, oh, even rats :)

    First of all, eating babies is inhuman, regardless of Chinese or otherwise ... as for worms, snakes, scorpions, cockroaches, crickets, yes, they are eaten in various provinces in China, but why would a Chinese (Jessica is Chinese?) feeling ashamed of that? Disgusted, I can understand, but what's there to be ashamed of? I am more ashamed of people spitting, throwing rubbish, making loud noise, and the list goes on for miles ...

    Hahahaha ... also, as much as I can see that dear Jessica is "native Chinese", those non-native Chinese in GuangDong province would still be very happy to continue eating such weird things ...

    One question ... Jessisa, do you actually bevieve that the world is round or flat?

    Another question ... for Yuki ... if you ask around, I am sure some of the remaining Chinese population had eaten something strange over the years ...

    Also, even if most Chinese who had been aboard did come from south of China (meaning Vietnam, Malaysia?), it was too much (way, way, way, way too much) of a generalisation ...

    Oh, not all foreigners I am sure too ...

    Good night ... from a non native Chinese ... hahahaha ...

     

  • 巴尔克
    巴尔克 wrote:

    i heard here is place in china they guy used to eat FETUS..disgusting

  • Stef
    Stef wrote:
    又关广东人什么事。
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    马克,I don't "support the idea" of Chinese people eating dog.

    There is no proof that Chinese people eat babies. And no, I'm not interested in seeing those fake photos of a man eating baby soup for the hundredth time.

  • Tommi
    Tommi wrote:
    中國黎講廣東人識食系真既,不過唔係咩都食, 真係好Q憎滴阿“福”[foreigners]甘講!
  • Tommi
    Tommi wrote:
    i guess 馬科 need to open your eyes bit more, ok?! com'on you came to a nation with long history. im not surprise that some old chineses ate some meats that you dont agree. but that was only tiny part of our culture. actually korean's more famous in that way. personally i never ate them & i bet many of other chineses here never had it either. ................................................................................................................................... i guess this just gave you d' chance to take the piss out of us & this is such cheaply common topic to bring up from d' lazy "beginners". i dont mind you find that vomiting & gross, coz i bet many of us wont give a sh!t about it anyway. we likely to see you as "beginners & outsider" ind oriental world. if you find it so damn difficult to aceept this kind of tradition. .................................................................................................................................... im sure many people including other foreigners would understand & be happier that one day you can leave this country that means a lot to us, & seems nothing to you.
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

    You guys(and I mean you people that post threads like this one that take one incident and use it to generalise your opinion on all women/men/Chinese/foreign/black/alien) amaze me. If some complete stranger stopped to talk to you in the street and said something obviously offensive and stupid, laughing in his/her face and going on with your day seems the best play. Complaining about it on the internet just seems weak.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... it's not just about generalisation, there's a fair bit of prejudice in there as well :)

    Oh yeah, by the way, kangaroos do jump through our backyards everyday, and I also keep a whole flock of koalas as pets, and a crocodile to watch our house :)

     

  • Daniel Westerberg

    We have Polar bears walking on the streets in Stockholm (capital of Sweden) :P

    Oh and a village far up in the north that have a population of 100 000 lesbians, if any male enters, they beat him to death. (it's a secret city, not even the Swedish gouverment knows about it, but it existed on Google maps a short while :D)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Daniel, that sounds like the "Women Kingdom" in the "Journey to the West" ... do they drink from a magical fountain to get pregnant?

  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    It is most definitely not just in Guandong. I had dog in Hebei. I didn't like it, but I don't see anything wrong with people eating dog. No worse than eating pigs IMO. Pigs are smarter than dogs and we (well, except for muslims and vegetarians) have no problem eating them. The most revolting thingI've seen on a Chinses menu is deer fetus in afterbirth, and that was at Baizhimen restaurant on Suzhou Jie in Beijing. However, the most disgusting I have ever eaten in China was boiled cabbage. Give me a pair of BBq's sheep testicles any day.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    And I hate cooked lettuce, prefer it raw ...

  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Recommend “花江狗肉” in 贵州大厦. Very delicious.
  • Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

    Hey Marily, nice to see you here. :)

    Yeah, i know 入乡随俗. I am here just wanna tell some people that China was not the only coutry who has restaurant and offer dog meats, even most Chinese people dont eat it. Except china, other countries in asia also eat dogs like Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Congo, Ghana.


    Haha,I just found out that Europeans ate dogs as well.

    1, From 14th century to 19th century, Vikings from Greenland also eat dog meat during severe famine. 2,During 1870 Franco-Prussian War, people eat everything which also including dogs, cats and all kinds of pets, and even animals in the zoo are treated as food. until 1910 in France.there has dog meat restaurant. (Some people said that Until now, people from noth of france still eat dogs. I am not sure if this is true) 3, March 21, 1996, the Rhine Valley region in eastern Switzerland, local residents eat dog meat and dry dog sausages as their troditions.

  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

    The closest thing i've been to eating dogs must be hot dogs... Anyways, claiming that "chinese eat everything" is like saying that europeans eat snails because 1 country in europe (france) is known for eating snails. China is BIG - you can't just judge the whole country for a few provinces eating habits =) 

    Kent

  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

    Snails are freaking good! Don't see your problem with that haha!

  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    This has absolutely nothing to do with dogs, but I ate a live squid last week here in Korea. It was great! The tentacles stick to your face and throat and some people even suffocate.

  • Hanna Sandvoll Berntsen

    @ Yuki: why did the guy tell you to eat it just because it was black?

     

    The difference between chinese and other nations is that Chinese eat dog because they love it. As you write yourself, the french and the Vikings only ate dogs during "severe famine" and not because they wanted to. Oh yeah, and the original inhabitants of greenland come from Asia, so i wonder if the Vikings didn't just eat it because the Chinese migrants living upthere offered it to them, haha

    That said, I like snails, frogs, dogs, squid, fishhead, donkey and lots of other "nasty" things...

  • Hanne Jensen
    Hanne Jensen wrote:
    to all the people who think that chinese can eat everything and it's disgusting: just think that if your ancestors also ate that stuff then you may never complain about chinese people.... haha... Yuki, you should put this thread in nonsense ...
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    the heritage of thousands of years of cultural civiisation is too much to handle for the poor stubborn north european ppl and their north american offsprings who only know their own histroy in less than 1000 years (of which are 500 savage years). it is easy to sail out, claim everything to be ones own where one puts feet on, destroy everything and make a fortune out of the disadvange they cause for the locals, become suddenly rich and powerful, invent stupid behaviors and call it noble and laugh at civilized ppl who they are not cabable to understand.

     

  • Hanna Sandvoll Berntsen

    hahahaha Webslave, why do i get the impression that you have been through the Chinese educational system?

     

     

    洗脑。。。

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Webslave is, as always, a comically absurd racist fool!

  • Pål Kristan Grue Tufte
    so this guy, who to me sound like a complete asshole trying to randomly get on your nerves on the street did something to upset you, he generalized ~ saying all chinese do similar thing which have upset you, and as a reaction what do you do ? do the same thing : "(I am thinking why all foreigners thought that chinese people eat everything was maybe because most chinese people who live aboard before were from guangdong province or south of China)" give it some thoughts !
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... and in case any "native Chinese" would like something to be ashamed of of ...

    Race on to stop deterioration of Olympic Green

    By Huang Yuli and Wu Wencong (China Daily)
    Updated: 2010-08-19 09:21

    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/metro/2010-08/19/content_11174505.htm

    Extract:

    In some areas near the Olympic Sports Center the floor tiles are broken or missing, the wall tiles of the five public toilets have dropped off in places, dozens of lamps in the shape of Bird's Nest are stuffed with rubbish, and many lamp posts inside the park are wrapped with kite strings.

  • Albulena Imeri

    As some ppl with senses pointed out, it's not fair to judge the entire Chinese or Cantonese population on their diet habits. So what if some ppl eat dog meat or donkey meat? <\n>

    @Yuki: That guys is an ass.<\n>

    @马克: Go fuck yourself.

     

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    - - - So what if some ppl eat dog meat or donkey meat?

     

    Well, some Chinese people find it disgusting.


    So they pretend it's only 广东人 who do that.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    ... you (Pomegranate) forgot to say that, and then they call themselves "native Chinese" ... l still laugh when I read that :)

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Yeah, that comment wasn't very harmony.

    Support the one-China policy at all times please!

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... "that comment wasn't very harmony"? You are being too nice, which does not seem like your usual self? heehee ... 

    Like an old Australian Rules (one type of football, if anyone is curious) said many years ago, "I'd like to see that" ...

     

  • Joakim Berg Solum

    What's there to judge? Dog tastes quite a bit like beef. The texture of beef is better though, especially the more tender cuts. I have no problem eating dog meat but prefer beef over it if I have a choice. Also, donkey meat is awesome if it's cooked well. There's a place right by me right now that serves 驴肉火烧 and it is quite good... Also eaten other strange things like scorpions on a stick, silkworm larvae, cat, bull penis, etc.

    You all really need to lighten to fuck up. As far as I'm concerned, food is anything that is edible and doesn't give you bad indigestion or other health problems. If you can eat it and digest it and it doesn't taste disgusting, what's the problem? Why be so hard up on what other people eat? Go look at how pigs are abused before slaughter if you really want to be a champion of something, pigs are about as close to human as any other animal.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    I suppose that the limit is when bizarre eating habits select as prey the species in danger of extincion or when the overhunted of some animals become them in danger of extincion.
     
    have you heard that the heart of panda is delicious and tasteful?
    have you heard that the babies fishes are more delicious than the adults?

    I think that the blank check -hey!! is my culture, respect- doesn´t have funds in the case of protect enviorement.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... (潇然) Adolfo Secades ... I read your comment about "baby fish" so I cannot help it ...

    There is an old Shun De saying in Guang Dong, "嫩猪老鱼", meaning that young pigs are tastier than the old ones (hence the famous and expensive "乳猪" dish on the Cantonese menu, although unlike BBQ pork, "烧肉" and "叉烧"), however, old fishes are tastier than the young ones, because the tasty parts (near the fins area, tail and the gill area) are often chunkier ...

     

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    - - - pigs are about as close to human as any other animal.

    Well I don't know about that. Are you thinking about the taste of the meat? Longpig is very similar to pork of course. Mancon and eggs for breakfast or a mam and cheese sandwich perhaps, it's doable.

    Or are you still stuck on that girl in Mexico, so to speak.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    叮噹叔叔, old fishes are tastier than the young ones, the people from the south of spain don´t think that, for this reason our goverment began time ago a campaign against the habit of eat baby fishes, this one was when i was kid  ;)

     

    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjAwMDk0MjM2.html

     

    remember: pezqueñines no!!!!  hahaha 

     

    :P

  • Ch
    Ch wrote:
    what if turkeys were kept as pets and treated as members of families? will those ppl feel ashame or should they be blamed for their Thanks Giving feast??
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... Chen Xiaoqiu ... forget turkeys ... when we were kids, we were given two little new born chicks as pets and they grew into half-soccer-ball size, but being kept in boxes, they had weak legs and their condition were worsening, so my mother decided that enough was enough ... we came back from school and there it was, two freshly steamed chicken on the dinner table ... my sister cried and refused to eat that, also claiming never to eat chicken again ... well ... hahaha ...

    As a matter of fact, there are people keeping turkeys as pets, and if I remember correctly, they are better house-guards than dogs?

    Hahaha ... (潇然) Adolfo Secades ... ok, I see what you mean :)

     

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    all i want to say is that the reason why ppl do eat "weird" stuff doesnt lie in their culturelessness or stupidity. No, i think, in contrary, because those ppl have a long history and deep culture resource of their own, eating normal stuff is simply too boring. I think i can understand the why but still i m fully against it. But there again a lot other reasons why i m against it. At least in case of any species of wild animals, one should forbid it by force. In case of all regular pet species like cats and dogs, well i think it can cause huge conflicts between different groups of ppl and also cause confusion for kids.

    @ Philip + Pomegranate + Yoan Merlo:

    well, you guys are very funny, if i were a "brainwashed" "racist" "asshole", i would just say "you stupid white pigs go fucking home if you dont like it here. As if you dont have stupid bullshit going on in your own country! Eat shit and die!"

    But appearently i m not. I only had 4 years of chinese brainwash elementary school education until the age of 10. I wasnt refering on any races, i never say Chinese are smarter then any other ppl on earth and i really doubt that any of those hutong "assholes" would know anything about northern european history and their cultural backgrounds! And guess what, I m a vegitarian LOL and hey, if you dont know it, everyone is brainwashed, no matter where you grew up! The difference only lies in different machines opperating for different ideology and aims.

    So please use your brain before reply and be as polite and fair as possible. If you cant take criticsm, dont reply. You guys are not less of what you assume me to be. Sorry.

     

    and very important: if any of you really want to talk about a Chinese problem, please do so in Chinese! it wont be much different in your home country, I assume?

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    @ Laban

    well, i think history matters in deed. If you grow up in a cultural enviroment where you have to deal with old habbits and ideas on daily basis (many of them are quite annoying) and that's the main differences between Europe and China.

    It is too easy to cut away all the historical inheritage and start a new like it more or less happened in Europe some few hundered years ago. Around the time where China also had the chance to do so, to embrace a brave new world of technology, modern science and productivity, the rulers of this country decided not to through away old values of the ancestors. And in the weakness of corruption and inner conflicts, China never made it to the industrialization like Japan did and so furth.

    Fact is, the momentum of now never get formed without the all of what had happened in the past affecting on it. Sure speaking of 5000 years would be too irrelevant (written chn. history is barely over 3000 yrs anyway). But what has happend within the last 1000 years both east and west are indeed critical to what has become now.

    if it really interests you. I just turned 35.

    ==============

     

    Nonetheless, back to topic, ppl who eat "unusual food" in China are neither stupid, uneducated nor uncivilized or cultureless. But looking of todays western ppl, you will also find very hard-to-understand behaviors in eating things.

    Many of my school mates cant stand eating any dishes of mean where the form of the served food still reminds them on the original look of the actual animal. What is so disgusting about a head of a fish or pig? You dont grow those meat products on a production line. If you want to eat meat, you have to kill or have ppl kill for you.

    Even though i respect ppl for who they are and how things are, i think sometimes ppl interprete too much into something (incl. me). The most basic thing when questioning things is the willingness to still respect each other and accept other ppl's habbits and understanding.

    The difference in culture makes this world so interesting, no one promised that you'd like everything there are. So, why do ppl still have problems with each other? Selfesteem? Ignorance? Stubborness? I dont know, none of my problem. And sometimes, none of my buisness. If ppl are not willing to really communicate but always want to teach and preach, maybe you didnt understand something important yourself.

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    - - - "you stupid white pigs go fucking home if you dont like it here. As if you dont have stupid bullshit going on in your own country! Eat shit and die!"

     

    You are a deeply racist and troubled person. I hope you find a way to solve your issues one day.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahaha ... Webslave ... long time no see you online, how have you been?

    As for myself, maybe I have lived in outback country far too long, and have been asked about many silly things about China (do you know Bruce Lee? do you know Kung Fu?), so I have grown used to ignorant comments from non-Chinese ...

    I am sure Pomegranate is not racist ... ignorant, stupid, smart ass, even insulting in a nice kind of way (in mainland, it is often known as "损", in Hong Kong, it is often "窒"), but "racist"? I think not ...

    I am more worried when people start calling themselves "native Chinese" and said that they are ashamed of other people's eating habits, when they should be ashamed of people's selfish behaviour ...

     

     

  • №❶ Passioη

    Did you know?

    Pigs and humans come from the same evolutionary origin, One eating the other can be referred to as cannibalism :X

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    All species on Earth have one common ancestor.

    Derp.

  • Simen Stensvoll
    maybe chinese like to eat animal dicks laowai like to eat human dicks
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahaha ... №❶ Passioη ... so it also implies that we once were one big happy family ...

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    @Pomegranate

    can you even read?

    if i were a "brainwashed" "racist" "asshole", i would just say "you stupid white..."

    that is what brainwashed racist assholes would say, i dont have a issue with that! Got it?!

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... always good to "see" you here and good to know you are doing OK ...

    Per what you said, I have often doubted the saying "if you cant beat them, join them"  ... not white enough to be considered a foreigner, and the fact that I love fish heads and chicken feet, made me non natice Chinese either ... *sigh* ...

    ... but I am glad :)

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    Jo, Uncle Dingdang, things has been fine. Local gigs and festival contribution are going according to plan, more or less :p

    you know we had a long and in depth conversation with Stefanie of Maomaochong the other day, it was about the difficulties to talk with ppl who are stubborn, prejudious, ignorant and big-headed. These kind of ppl are everywhere, no matter native Chinese or Foreigners. And it is always about the same little shit they happen to know solemly. In front of Chinese ppl i try to defense the western culture if words are getting unfair and in front western ppl i'd do the same for the Chinese culture. But one thing you cant help, if ppl are not listening and dont start thinking anew after getting new information and ideas, then it is actually senseless to still keep on talking. Everyone is talking about the same bullshit they are convinced of. Often it is not about what you say because they dont care. That's why it is such a joy to talk to open minded ppl who knows that the world is bigger then they know and that it can be very different from a different point of view. Unfortunately, not everyone is like that.

    btw, i never said or thought anything that negative about Pomegranate.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    is not a little -over- put inside the box -culture-, the fucking food????sharing the place with poesy, literature, paint, scuplture....o_O the word -culture- begins to be a joker card 

    what is the problem?? some people like eat some things and others do not like

    do not eat the pet of other person and all will be ok

    do not cheat customers in a restaurant giving one meat instead other and all will be ok

  • Hanna Sandvoll Berntsen
    ok.. Back the the little puppy that Yuki ate... How was it? :D
  • №❶ Passioη

    Don't let Kung-Fu Panda hear you on that one JZ...

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    @ (潇然) Adolfo Secades

    what you mean is being called high-culture (incl. literature, music, art, sculpture etc.) but if you really understand China, you would know that food definately is culture. It might be different elsewhere where ppl dont pay too much attention into what and how they eat things. For exsample the difference in the variety of food between England and France can be big enough to tell.

    but then again, of course, i agree with you, it is in the end just food. But i think it is more about understanding and behavior/habbit then your concious need of food supply.

    btw. there are different theories about how to define culture, the one i most agree with is that culture is the content we produce ourselves to prevent loneliness and death. more or less, i dont remember the exact words but it is all about to create more ideas and meaning to something and that can be everything, maybe food, maybe football or maybe pets.

  • Rebecca Arnesen

    Miss K, are you implying that chinese perform oral sex act on animals?

  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

    Unintentional though it may have been, the implication is clear, jarg, yes--in the attempt to slander the 老外 Miss K has slandered her nation and herself while at the same time contributing to our enjoyment. Give her a biscuit.

     

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Again, I have to ask ... does Miss K equate to Shino W?

     

  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    dose foreingner eat bugs??? becos its high protein... no insulting,serious~
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    if you consider south asians, africans, south american Indios etc. as foreigners, yes they do.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    ahhh ... and Australians Aboriginals too :)

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    well, snails gourmet and horse meat sausages (France) might be the most unusual dish of the western world. I've heard that the Scottish also has a traditional kind of sausage made of testicles of sheeps.

  • Simen Stensvoll
    @Jarg \柯南 how come it turns into oral sex ?????how did i slander my nation ?????i know a lot of chinese,especially guys,like to eat animal dicks,such as 羊鞭、猪宝。and another day a laowai told me they don't eat animal dicks,they tend to eat human Dicks!! and as i said, i said "maybe",it meaned i was not sure how laowai eat human Dick?! @叮噹叔叔 what is Shino W ??
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Yeah, I'm always screwing with Chinese people too.

    I tell them if they want to improve their English they have to stop eating rice. Things like that.

  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    I've eaten animal dick before. I disliked it -- not because they were cocks, but rather because they were sinewy and too much work to eat. 

    If I'm going to eat a bowl of dicks, they damn well better be fun.

  • Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

    wow, sounds like you foreigners eat more strange stuff than chinese people eat dogs.  So there is no way to laugh at chinese people and think that we eat EVERYTHING.  We do wild in some situation ;) but not wild on eating animals. I wish the guy who talked to me out side of my Sunkissed tanning studio can see ur guys`s responses. He cames from France. :)

  • Hanna Sandvoll Berntsen

    This thread started with a puppy and now the last comment is about eating cocks... This is a game of Chinese whispers isn't it.. Ching Chang chong

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    "wow, sounds like you foreigners eat more strange stuff than chinese people eat dogs."

    You really haven't learned anything, have you?

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... not French again ... is this month national holiday in France?

    Pomegranate ... she is native Chinese, she must have heard it all ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    ... or Month of France in Expo?

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Let me explain, Yuki

    You think all foreigners are the same because you are Chinese. But nobody else thinks that way. So the conversation would have gone like this:

    French guy: You Chinese eat dog. I laugh at you! Haha!

    Yuki: But Koreans eat dog too! So I laugh at you foreigners!!

    French guy: I'm not Korean.

    Yuki: You are foreign! Is same! 有两个国家!中国和外国!中国人说中国话,吃中国菜!外国人说英语,吃西餐!明白了吗?

    French guy: I'm going to stop talking to you now.

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    @ Pomegranate and all foreigners who can speak Chinese

    你什么时候见过哪个中国人这样说话?!或许一些边远地区的人会对外国文化和外国人不大了解,但是在北京的大多人还是能区分欧美人和韩国人的。开玩笑需要注意分寸的。

    她的英文或许不太好,只是把一些话简短的说而已,必定英语不是中国人的母语。我猜她重点想说:

    1)不是所有中国人都什么都吃

    2)在国外也有很奇怪的餐饮文化或现象。

    其实所有问题还是在于态度,如果一个人真的很固执,不远去了解对方,那么任何形式的对话就失去了意义。你说呢?

    在中国没有人会跟外国人说,你应该提高你的中文水平,除非他/她是你的老师或好朋友。可是在欧美,如果你不会说本地语言,尤其是在以英文为母语的国家,都没有人愿意跟你说话。更不用说去谈论本地各种特色/文化现象或问题了。可是在中国,为什么会有那么多为国人总是想对中国人指手画脚?而且这些人往往都不会说中文,也不太了解中国本地的文化和情况。我身边有很多世界各地的外国朋友,他们大多都是在北京或中国待了很长时间,对本地的情况很了解,也很有兴趣去了解,这些人没有一个会轻易的概论中国人的种种问题,而是用不伤人的语气去讨论莫衷现象。我也认识一些刚来没多久的外国人,他们只是来工作或实习,不太喜欢这里,往往只有这些人才会用很高傲的姿态和贬义的词语来谈论中国。这不是个别现象,相信经常跟外国人打交道的中国人都会有同感。这倒地是为什么呢?难道大家不明白,每个地区,国家和文化区域都有自己的特色,个性和问题吗?每个人自己的国家就完美无缺吗?如果大家想导论问题,可以本着积极的交流和对话心态来进行沟通,而且大家需要知道谁是客,谁是主。世界上没有一种文化比其他的要更高,只是不同而已,而这个不同是需要去用心了解的。全世界的人都一样,只是习惯不同。这是我的个人看法。

     

     

  • Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

    Pomegranate, i think you misunderstood what i said just now. .....

    Let me explain:

    1, (wow, sounds like you foreigners eat more strange stuff than chinese people eat dogs.  So there is no way to laugh at chinese people and think that we eat EVERYTHING.)= that means not just chinese people eat other animals except common meat like pork, beef...ect.  so foreigner do that too. so the french guy was wrong.

    2, (I wish the guy who talked to me out side of my Sunkissed tanning studio can see ur guys`s responses.) = that means not every foreigner agree with what the french guy said.

    3,  (you suggested the conversation should end like this: ......

    = that means you still think that every chinese people are the same, they all agree with 有两个国家!中国和外国!中国人说中国话,吃中国菜!外国人说英语,吃西餐!明白了吗?. that is Chinese people back in 80s or some farmers outside of beijing. but no one in beijing think that way anymore.  :)

     

     

  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:

    wait~~~ dog is popular only in Korea.........its not chinese stuff.....we see the dog as pet.......ummmmm     think about it~~

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    mmm.... I can see that the postmodern motto: anything goes, get horny many people here

    Do you like eat X beacuse is tasteful for your mouth? good reason
    Do you like eat X because is healthy for you? other good reason

    Do you like eat the meat of one animal that isn´t in danger of extinction? then you can do it

     

    Do you like eat -fetus or fried umbilical cords (witches in spain) because you believe that this meat can recover your youth?? you are idiot
    Do you like shark cartilage becuase eating these you can repair your tendons? wtf, animistic!!
    Do you like eat animal dicks because you think that you will have increase your sexual power? 老冒儿!!

    there are reasons for eat, and there are stupid reasons for eat. respect the first group and laugh at the second group

  • Klisklass Kjærlighet

    Chinese people eat everything because u think all foreigners think in the same way, hearing from a few foreigners say that, u blame all of them, same we hear from a few chinese and say chinese eat everything :)

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    - - - -that means not just chinese people eat other animals except common meat like pork, beef...ect.  so foreigner do that too. so the french guy was wrong.

    No, the French guy was right. Chinese people eat dogs. French people don't eat dogs.

    他说对了。中国人吃狗肉。法国人不吃狗人。

    你还把外国人分不开。因为你是中国人你觉得外国人都一样。这是不对的。

    - - - -that means not every foreigner agree with what the french guy said.


    Every foreigner that knows China agrees with what he said because he was right.

    - - - - that is Chinese people back in 80s or some farmers outside of beijing. but no one in beijing think that way anymore.  :)

    我80年代还在国外。我住在北京朝阳区。在这里99%中国人是这么想法。例如你,把外国人分不开。

  • Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

    Pomegranate

    Just read what Webslave said.

    Webslave

    Webslave wrote:

    Posted 20 hours ago

    @ Pomegranate and all foreigners who can speak Chinese

    你什么时候见过哪个中国人这样说话?!或许一些边远地区的人会对外国文化和外国人不大了解,但是在北京的大多人还是能区分欧美人和韩国人的。开玩笑需要注意分寸的。

    她的英文或许不太好,只是把一些话简短的说而已,必定英语不是中国人的母语。我猜她重点想说:

    1)不是所有中国人都什么都吃

    2)在国外也有很奇怪的餐饮文化或现象。

    其实所有问题还是在于态度,如果一个人真的很固执,不远去了解对方,那么任何形式的对话就失去了意义。你说呢?

    He is a lao wai, what he said thats exactly what i said. stop being too stubben.

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    @Pomegranate

    if you have ever heard dog races such as Pekinese or Chiwawa then you might know that dogs hasnt become pets in China "just recently".

    so some Chinese eat dogs and some even cats which to me is indeed a sick behavior but at least i can understand that is part of the local culture. French ppl dont eat dogs (at least not at home but some might try it here in China or in Korea), eating snails is a French delicatess which sounds the same disgusting to some Chinese for what ever reason. Understand it or not, in the end it is just the difference between different cultures. I feel like repeading here, so i guess, this means doesnt make sense anymore to talk at all.

    BTW: you got it pretty wrong about Chn. cant differ between Laowais, especially about what Yuki said. Believe it or not, back home in your country, many ppl dont know even know that Korea is a different country then China and most ppl dont even know Beijing before the Olympic games. Which is a very natural thing. You happened to come around in the world and see everything you have seen. Many ppl dont have this oppurtunity and stay in that knowledge level about the world because it doesnt matter to them in their daily lifes.

     

    @(潇然) Adolfo Secades

    nice questionary :)

     

    @JZ

    agreed! BTW: i need a girlfriend too, LOL

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    - - - - Believe it or not, back home in your country, many ppl dont know even know that Korea is a different country then China and most ppl dont even know Beijing before the Olympic games.

     

    I don't believe it because it's not true.

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    oh! how many ppl are there in your home country? you happen to know them all? Do a survay about it and you will know.

    are you British? American? French?

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Hahaha. Holy SHIT!!!! You don't even know where I'm from! Why don't YOU do a survey before you make up a load of crazy rubbish about the people there.

    Anyway, I REALLY have to stop talking to you now because it's just scary.

    Just do me one favour - please stop looking at my profile. I find it very, very creepy to know there is an unpredictable, deranged racist who keeps looking at my personal details.

  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

    well, you dont need much brain to tell that there are ppl everywhere who dont know about things. In this case, i dont need to know. As for surveys, well i had my expriences in the western world, not all of it but ppl are not really too different.

    please do me a favour and stop calling me names, i never do that to you and if you want to answer or what ever, make the effert and read what i wrote. I m not a deranged racist. Unpredictable maybe but not dangerous or something. If you dont want ppl to look at what you put online yourself, dont publish it. It doesnt interest me anyway, i was just looking at your fotos and shots.

    on one thing i guess we both agree, it is very unpleasant to talk with each other, so yeah, let's stop it.

  • Rebecca Arnesen

    get a room you two

  • Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    Webslave :我太喜欢你的发言了。 i really like what u said.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    While I basically agree with what webslave wrote, you should be aware that the idea of two countries, 中国 and 外国, is still quite persistent even in Beijing. In some people's minds, all 外国人 speak English, and I and my classmates (French, Serbian, German etc) have been asked why we aren't speaking English together, and local friends with us have been asked if they speak English (or if not, how they communicate with us). 我也往往听到”你们外国人的国家……“怎么怎么样. Maybe this attitude doesn't exist among educated people, but I and all my Caucasian classmates have heard these kind of statements before. Although the people I've heard this attitude from generally differentiate Koreans and Japanese from other 外国人, I do not doubt the possibility that this is because they think those places are still part of China. Although I've made jokes about this attitude in the past, it's true that English is an international language, despite what the French think. All my Caucasian friends actually can speak it, despite their insistence that they can't, so I don't think these attitudes are any more ignorant than all those people in the states who might make blanket statements about Orientals.
  • Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

    Dog gone haha...........western joke???

  • Robbie Fried
    Robbie Fried wrote:

    I live in Guilin, and there's definitely a dog meat street that's happening every night. We help Westerners study in china and it's not uncommon to hear a new student ask whether or not Chinese people eat dogs. Yes, some do.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    To "eat anything with four legs on the ground that's not a table, and anything in the sky that's not an airplane" is traditionally self-attributed to Guangdong people. Yeah, it's ignorant for foreigners to apply the generalization to all Chinese people, but it's understandable since such a large proportion of Chinese people living abroad are Cantonese. It's about as stupid as saying hamburgers and hot dogs and apple pie are American.

    If it seems like there's a lot of Us (Chinese) vs. Them (laowai) talk going on in here, I really think it's just because they hate getting included with the southerners, whose peculiar eating habits were sometimes blamed for the bird flu epidemic a few years ago.

    As for me, I've only eaten dog at a Korean restaurant. Didn't like it. Not enough fat. That's all. But hey. I'll try anything once.

    The real Chinese culinary crimes are stinky tofu, sea cucumber, ma la tang, duck necks, chicken feet, and all those other slimy "snacks" sealed in plastic bags. Without exception, that shit is truly fucking terrible and to varying degrees offensive to all five senses. The continuing existence of these foods proves that Chinese people REALLY DO eat anything. Foreigners just need to be more accurate when applying their prejudices.

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Dando, you don't like malatang? That takes away a lot of your credibility...

    If you can get close enough to stinky tofu without gagging so as to actually taste it, it's not bad. I just have no idea why it's considered ok to produce it in non hermetically sealed areas.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... Dando Z 单独子 ...

    Not sure if it is true, but other than Vancouver, I dont really know of any foreign city filled with mostly Cantonese (or HK Cantonese), when there are not that many in the first place (we need stats) ... where I came from, we also have mainland Chinese (we do have one suburb called little Shanghai in Sydney), Taiwan Chinese, local home-grown Chinese etc, and due to local law, we cannot eat roast goose and snakes (other than the legally imported snake meat) ...

    As for us (or them) Vs whoever else, hahaha ... somehow the word "winning" an argument seems so important to everyone here? I dont have a brain, so I dont know why :)

    Hahahaha ... depending on where you eat it, "stinky tofu" can be a cheap street-eat as well as an expensive dish in some Chinese restaurants ... and dare I say, the western equivalent might be "blue cheese", and the SE Asian would be durian for sure, all of them I do enjoy so dearly ...

    As most people here might (or might not) have heard of, "鲍参翅肚" (abalone, sea cucumber, shark fins and fish belly) are considered the 4 traditional Chinese delicacies, though I can see your point about it being "slimmy", heehee ...

    As for the lower end, "chicken feet" actually have some medical use, or perhaps I should say that the "rubber" bit between the bones (dont know the medical term), it helped to build bones ... and it is sometimes considered "respectful" if one can eat his/her food "clean" (i.e. not making a big mess), and the skill of eating "clean" chicken feet takes some time to master, heehee ...

     

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Uncle DD,

    I don't think there are more Cantonese people than mainlanders abroad, but I still think the proportion is higher. Can't say, though. I'm just basing this on my observation that most of the stuff that Americans refer to as "typically Chinese" are really only typical in the south.

    All cheese is basically just the poop of whatever micro-organisms are in the rennet. I've never had the really fresh stuff, but blue cheese isn't really stinky compared to some of the more exotic stuff which I've never tried because I'm just an American redneck. It's just weird looking 'cuz of the mold.

    I thought of that when one of my pals was complaining about a visit to the Chinese countryside. Meat being expensive, the custom in this village was to dry the meat and allow it to become coated with some sort of a fuzzy mold, ostensibly to enhance its flavor. I'd like to say I would've been up to the challenge, but I'm not sure.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Heehee ... I did a very silly thing once to heat blue cheese in microwave, try it, and hopefully you will see my point ...

    And speaking of micro-organisms, I believe that's how tofu and stinky tofu are made? Or maybe I am wrong about this?

    I know nothing about food, but hell, do I love to eat or what ... hahaha ...

  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:

    chinese people eat cats and snakes    its true

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc