Discussion » Current Events » Noam Chomsky at Beijing University

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I found out about this far too late to sign up. I can understand why there wasn't a lot of publicity.

Did anyone from WLIB get a seat?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Shameless self-bump.

So? Did anyone see the lecture by this storied academic?

Totally harmonious here.

• Simen Wangberg

I haven't seen or heard anything about it yet

No, I've been too busy reading about a Chinese netizen that cobbled together his own homemade Fleshlight:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/how-to-make-homemade-fleshlight-male-sex-toy-by-chinese-netizen.html

• / / / \ \ \
    / / / \ \ \ wrote:

from what i can recall, general topics were iran, nuclear disarmament, environmental distress, copenhagen and the power-games of various nation states, ethical ramifications of a market economy (and china's subsequent place within this argument). he repeatedly said "apocalypse soon" in the monotone which the entire speech was delivered, but cracked enough to smirk after each deployment (maybe 5-10 times?).

Q&A at the end was "democratic": everyone in the audience was encouraged to write their question on a piece of paper and pass it to the aisle where student helpers collected and brought them to the podium (didn't realize it then but in retrospect it's obvious all questions were curated beforehand). there, the moderator, Professor James Huang (Harvard) sorted through and supposedly ad hoc selected some and presented them to Chomsky. the questions i can recall were:

"what do you think of the gaokao"

"what do you think of UPenn"

"what can a single helpless individual do against such a bleak world?" (Chomsky's response was to cite Bolivia and the grassroots movement surrounding the election of Evo Morales)

"if General Zheng He sailed a navy of thousands a huge distance and, comparably, the West had Christopher Columbus, how come China doesn't have an ex-colonized nation like England has America?"

"you are the smile of the world" [last "question" Professor Huang chose to read] 

• Turkmenbaschi
    Turkmenbaschi wrote:

FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!

IS IT ALREADY OVER!

I could shoot me in the head. 

I quote Chomsky fucking a lot and am already thinking for some months to write to him! 

I used one of his books to attack my professor in Switzeraland!

MAN! Is there an other possibility to see him?

Peace

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Ugh. Zheng He had more balls that those questions.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.