Discussion » Current Events » Burn "Quran" Day :(

• 马克
    马克 wrote:

as you all know

A church in Florida says it wants to to mark the ninth anniversary of September 11 by burning copies of the Quran.(sacred book of Muslims)

It has called for other religious groups to join them "against the evil of Islam’ through the social networking site Facebook.

Terry jones, the pastor of 'Dove World Outreach Center' of Gainesville is quoted as saying "Islam and Sharia law was responsible for 9/11, we will burn Korans because we think it's time for Christians, for churches, for politicians to stand up and say no; Islam and Sharia law is not welcome in the U.S."

The church has also launched a YouTube channel to spread it’s messages.

"I mean ask yourself, have you ever really seen a really happy Muslim? As they're on the way to Mecca? As they gather together in the mosque on the floor? Does it look like a real religion of joy?" Jones asks in one of his YouTube posts.

"No, to me it looks like a religion of the devil."

The National Association of Evangelicals has already issued a statement urging the church to cancel the event.

The event has received more than 1,500 recommendations by users. Muslim groups have denounced the move.

Ramsey Kilic of the The Council on American-Islamic Relations said, “We don’t want to do anything that would be reactive.

"Unfortunately in Florida and nationwide, Islamophobia are actually on the rise. I'm more afraid of those who have anti-Muslim sentiments and may think this is a legitimate action and may want to attack a mosque or attack a Muslim on the street."

i just need to know what people, here, think about this.....

• Rebecca Arnesen

1) I didn't know that

2) you don't need to know what anyone here(or anywhere else) thinks about it

3) I think its retarded 

4) you quite obviously also think its retarded

5) only retards or trolls are likely to disagree

6) not sure why i've numbered all of my points. 

7) Not sure why i made any of these points

8) nine

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

** cannot laugh for some reasons **

As much as I dont agree with the extremists of 911 or similar actions over the past decades (and there are many), I always uphold "to each his own", so why is now the Christians in Florida having such ignorant views against another religion? Have they gone ga-ga or they just have nothing better to do now that they have retired?

Anyone from Florida?

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

The prices we pay for freedom of speech..........

*Sigh*

Wouldn't give it up for the world.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

More like Floriduh.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I think some people are a little bit retarded.

I didn't know about this. That might be because I don't get much news from the states (or youtube), but I guess it's probably not a very big deal there.

Stupidity, racism, and intolerance are not really that newsworthy in the states, because there's not really shortage of them. There are always some religious nutjobs trying to spread hate around. I have deffinitely seen it coming from both Christians and Jews there. I haven't seen it coming from Muslim groups there, but I'm sure that's because it's kept private rather than being broadcast openly. Since the US is a mojority Christian country, making anti-Christian sentiments there is probably bad for one's health.

So, in summary, people are idiots and probably not worth worrying about.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Terry jones maybe:

a) does not have money in this fucking economical crisis, but he has bussiness in the publishing industry. He can offer pretty-packets like this:

cigarette lighter+Quran+ moron commemorative t-shirt

for only 30$

b) doesn´t want spend money in publicity, better use youtube and facebook they are free!!!! you only need something very stupid for call the attention

c) is tard

-----a) + b) + c) are not exclusive options

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

i'm nostalgic for a time when books mattered enough to be burned...

...I say light the bonfire! The quran will survive this little 'onward christian soldiers' party.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Ignorance from the west. Yet, not everyone in the west is ignorant. I believe you could say the same for wherever you come from.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

“Arachnophobia" is also a nonsense term then. Spiders can bite.

Rediculous that despite our 所谓言论自由, the government extorted church guy into calling off his protest. That is really a shame, and despite that I'm sure I oppose his message, I wish he'd gone through with the protest.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

This reminds me that my friends used to play "bible toss" whenever they went to American hotels. Basically, you fling the hotel-stocked bible from your room to the roof of a neighboring building or something. I guess the winner is whoever throws it farther.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

hahahahaha! Satan's game of choice!

that's one of the wrongest games i've ever heard of, on par with baby tossing or puppy kicking when you consider the tragic look on the face of the poor Gideons if they saw their bibles flying out of hotel windows and falling on piles of birdshit next door.

牛逼!!!!

• Garrett B
    Garrett B wrote:

I heard that the city's plan was to send a few police officers down there to keep the peace and also arrest them as soon as they set fire to the books. Not for sending an ignorant and hateful message, because that's a big legal gray area, but for unlawfully starting a potentially hazardous fire.

That made me lol.

I don't know if it happened or not though. Does anybody know what the end result was?

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

this is like the people who are against Campbell's making Halal soup.. 

i'm afraid for this world.

• Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:

Buring one's Holy book is not a good idea.It can lead to more hate among religions.I'm a Muslim but for us Bibal is also same respectful as our Holy Quran.This is time to get together,forgetting all the diffrences and do something for peace.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Garret, in the end after several threatening visits from US top government officials, the church suddenly reversed its position and said that not only would it not be burning Qurans, but it strongly opposed anyone else doing it as well.

I presume that the guy was threatened with criminal charges for any unpleasantries that resulted, and probably for tax evasion and whatever else he could possibly have done wrong in his life.

I support Quran burning as much as I support burning the American and Chinese flags.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Andy, 咱们火星人在地球才能和金星人打交道。难道你愿意回去?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I have a deep and abiding faith in acts of random and senseless iconoclasm, and therefore I consider it my spirtual vocation to piss on Buddhas and roll psalms into cigarettes. I'll be fucking damned if you'll deprive me of one of my precious sacraments. That said, I think the Quran burnings just aren't funny, interesting, clever, or otherwise compensating for plainly being a Dick Move. If it were just a little bit of one of those three things, maybe I'd buy into this crap about it being in contravention of Our Righteous Democratic Principles, or other such bullshit.

Same goes for the Mohammad cartoons.

Shit just ain't classy.

If we're to take this shit seriously as expressions of politics or faith (and therefore legally protected speech according to firmly settled constitutional law), then I do expect one of these passionate defenders of free expression to rise to my defense when I get arrested for stuffing rosary beads up my arse, for freedumb.

Rule of law ought to protect the abiding minority from the tyranny of the majority, right?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.