Discussion » All non BJ languages » Is it difficult to get a teaching job in China aft

• SoulCreative Web Studios
    SoulCreative Web Studios wrote:

I am planning to move to China to get a teaching job, but I just found out that it will take 3-4 weeks just to get my passport. I can possibly get it faster "2-3" weeks if I pay more, but even then, that will not give me enough time to fly to China, and get oriented. I assume most people hireing will want me there a few weeks before classes begin.

If I do wait, and not arive in China until after September 1st, will there be a huge decline in available jobs?

Daniel Lessor

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

I'm pretty sure 90 percent of foreign English teachers do not teach at state schools.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Yes, there will be a huge decline in available jobs -- at public institutions -- if you arrive after Sept 1.

By that time, the semester will have already started. I assume, however, that private schools are always hiring.

But from what I've heard, the more legitimate private schools (New Oriental, English First) require a BA (or ESL certification) for employment.

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

Yeah,you know most of schools begin on 1st September in China,I think you'd better come here.

Pomegranate,if 90% foreign English teachers do not teach at state schools,so where are those foreign teachers of  famous universities from?

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

?? From foreign countries.

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

cold joke?

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

haha,yeah,冷笑话,of course,you don't understand,but how to explain?Don't know

Give you an example,it just like,I ask "where are foreigners from?",you answer "from foreign countries"    It's a cold joke

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

My information may be out of date.

I thought universities pay about 4,000 RMB a month and have only a few foreign teachers (who come from foreign countries).

Private language school pay about 12,000 RMB a month and there are thousands and thousands of teachers working at such places.

Am I wrong?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Not good universities...

The single lowest requirement requirement for teaching English in China is that you are white. Are you white? It looks like it from that picture.

If not white, but English is your first language, then you have a chance, unless you are Asian.

• Simen Wangberg

I keep hearing that university teachers don't make much - and yet, the only university teachers I know all make piles of money. Some of them have pretty advanced degrees, but a couple of them just have their bachelor's.The one university I interviewed for last year was out in the sticks a bit, but it paid 8k a month.

table.cnt,tr.cnt,td.cnt,tbody.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl,p.pyl {border:0 none;border-top:0;border-right:0;border-bottom:0;border-left:0;padding:0px; margin:0px;font-family:Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:16px; font-size-adjust:none;font-stretch:normal;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-weight:normal;line-height:normal;}table.cnt,td.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl,sup.pyl,a.pyl,p.pyl {color:black;background:#F9F9F9;text-decoration: none;}a.pyl:hover{text-decoration: underline;}table.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl {width:auto;}pre.pyl,div.pyl {overflow:visible;}div.pyl {position: relative; float: left; padding-left: 3px; padding-right: 3px; height: 55px;}

1. {wǒ} i; me
  • Hans Christian Eriksson

Daniel, as far as u are white, u will get ur teaching job  very easily.  These extras points will make u a king: being  an english native speaker,  and holding a high school diploma.

In some schools, holding an american passport will be enough to have a teaching job.

• Hans Christian Eriksson

Daniel, this is what  i am doing now. I  have a trade company here and i do international trade between china and africa. So if u come here, i can help u learn more about it.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.