Discussion » Film & TV » How many angels can dance on the head of a pin

  • Chaton Du Nounours
    Chaton Du Nounours wrote:

    Why is there evil? How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? How do we make love stay?

    watching “Heroes” recently~ this is a quote from "Syler", a killer in that show~ dont know how to describe the feeling when I heard this... just remembered... it is not the first time I heard about "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin", but havent really got what it means... anyone know?

  • Joakim Berg Solum

    If by angels you mean women, and by dancing you mean giving a blowjob, and by pin you mean my penis, then the answer would be exactly 3. There's not a lot of room for a 4th.

  • 爱谁谁
    爱谁谁 wrote:

    针尖上的天使

    第一封情书

  • Synne Syverstad

    顾童鞋啊,我对你顾流氓的定义果然是很英明的嘛~

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    Sorry for my english :/
    The nuns in the school were more worried about teach bible than english :P

     

    During the first centuries, in the origin of Christianism, this religion had to defend their beliefs against the attacks of the philosophical schools (Epicureans, Stoicism....). In general this religion had popularity between classes of Roman Empire with a low educational.  So one way to stop the fast extension (goverment considered dangerous this extension) of this religion was critize the main thesis and ideas, looking for the irrationals points in this religion. For defend against this philosophical attacks, christian priests began to use philosophy to support their own thesis and ideas. they began to use logical arguments.

    In this moment began the christian theologia, theologia is the attempt to reconcile the christian dogmas and reason, this is the leitmotiv of theologia.

    For example, a christian dogma is: God, Jesus and holy spirit are diferents beings but in the same time they are the same being, since the point of view of the reason is like say 3=1. In this case, for conciliate this the theologians developed the idea of person extracted from the Roman law.

    Other christian dogmas looking for conciliation:

    Why is there evil? (in sylar also said this) if God is Good and omnipotent (Bible says this), why did God create an imperfect world? If God is Good, Why did God put the evil in the world??

    and many many contradictions.... Now the angels

    Only God is pure spirit, God is not a material being,but the world is material, so how can God affect the world, how can a spiritual thing affects material things? (can you move things with your thoughts????)

    Bible says using Angels, in the Bible they are the messengers of God and they do things (kill people, burn people, pregnat people...) in the world following the orders of God. They are spirit but also material, they have a little material part, infenitesimal (because if not you could see them all time in the world).

    But the problem is, if they are material, then you can ask for example: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

    The reason says: only the material things can affect other material things,
    The Bible says: God is a pure spirit, and God can affect the world.
    Theologia says: then is necesary that the angels are spiritual and material beings. They are the instruments of the God´s will


    But then again the reason says: if they have material part, How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?


    Inside of Christianism when appeared the theologians also appeared the mystics.

    Theologians have the belief that they can conciliate christian faith and reason.
    Mystics have the opinion that using the reason you will can not find a God, only using the faith you can find God.

    Many mystics created funny riddles to the theologians, trying to show the stupidity of their ideas about God, Angels, Evil and others...

    Usually theologians don´t have humor sense, so in the past they burned some funny mystics

     

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    @Birima curiosity, why do you mention Adam Smith?

    (btw, is Adam Smith, not Adams, do not confuse with The Addams Family )

  • Simen Wangberg

    "Adolfo,  better go to  EF and brush up ur english. It  really ...

    Don't wake up shakespeare , Tomas Pain, Tony Morrisson, Nathaniel  Hawthore, Adams Smith, William Butler Yeast... from their  tombs."

    "ur" is not an English word.

    "english" is a proper noun, it should be capitalized.

    "shakespeare" is a proper noun, it should be capitalized.

    "Adams" is misspelled in this context. I believe you meant "Adam".

    "Tomas Pain" is misspelled. I believe you meant "Thomas Paine".

    "Hawthore" is misspelled. I believe you meant "Hawthorne".

    I'm not precisely sure, but I believe "Tony Morrisson" is misspelled. If you were attempting to refer to the female African-American author, it should be spelled "Toni Morrison".

    If you're going to continue to be a prick about other peoples' English, I'm gonna be a prick about yours. Prepare to be served all over the damn place.

  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

    "If by angels you mean women, and by dancing you mean giving a blowjob, and by pin you mean my penis, then the answer would be exactly 3. There's not a lot of room for a 4th."

    顾小贩, How many pins do you have? I need a philosophical imagination to picture three angles do a REAL DANCE on your pin!

  • Synne Syverstad

     Adolfo thanks a lot for ur explanation !very useful~ !

    BIRIMA, go to hell !

    Mike, haha~ u r lovely~

  • Brusch
    Brusch wrote:

    "If by angels you mean women, and by dancing you mean giving a blowjob, and by pin you mean my penis, then the answer would be exactly 3. There's not a lot of room for a 4th."

    顾小贩, How many pins do you have? I need a philosophical imagination to picture three angles do a REAL DANCE on your pin!

    I can`t help but you already made me laugh out loud twice today! Thanks, Maria

  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Well lady, this is a philosophical point that is dated far back in the medieval times. Ideally Angels are heavenly beings that occupy space, be it the tiniest of spaces. So even if the head of a pin is so small, you can find as many angels as would be found any where. That means they are uncountable and it is hard to find out the number since they are invisible and can occupy space just like air. So today, that phrase has been used as a metaphor ( A direct comparison of one thing to another) to mean that something talked about is as useless as trying to count the number of Angels that can dance on the head of a pin. It rather renders the point more pointless as it can never be proven that Angels do exist at all. So when someone say that your point is like finding how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin, he or she is trying to tell you that your point holds no water.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc