Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » VACATION!!

• 雷公
    雷公 wrote:

We all love getting a break from reality. I'm in the process of setting up a nice, long back-to-the-States vacation to see my family and friends. Problem is, I don't officially have a vacation package from my company yet. How greedy should I be? I'm thinking I'll ask for 2 weeks? Or possibly 3? How far can I push this?

Basically, here's my question to all foreigners: What are you vacation packages like? i.e. How much vacation do you get? And does your company cover any of the ticket cost?

• Simen Wangberg

As far as I know, a lot of companies (particularly schools) offer "repatriation" bonuses of varying amounts. The school I worked for before offered 8,000 RMB towards a round-trip flight, but from what I've heard, that's pretty generous. Then again, a friend of mine works for NongDa, and they pay for her to fly back to the States twice a year, once during each semester break.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Company, or school?

The number of days for "annual leave" varies from company to company, I have heard someone (local) working for 6 days a week, and other than the govt public holidays, they only get 3 days each year ...

I just started here as a freelancer, so I dont get the goodies, but from what I have heard:

1. anywhere from 10 days to 20 days per year, no distinction between expat and local staff, only based on seniority ...

2. for expat, there is one return ticket (economy class), but no cap, so they can choose low or peak season ... and if it is not too far, e.g. HK, Taiwan, two tickets each year ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Like Mike said, I hear schools will typically give something towards a plane ticket a year. I don't know about vacation time though.

For everyone else not on an "expat package" (which we know damn well no one here has because they're as rare as non-toxic air in beijing), it's typical only to get Chinese fixed holidays. I have 3 weeks, because I negotiated it specifically into my contract, and I'm the only one in the company who has vacation.

• Synne Syverstad

I m in my summer vacation~ vacation is sth u expect in the semester but get bored of when u really in it~ I just typed in an ad and am about to see if anyone wants me to vacation private teacher~

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.