Discussion » Beijing Life » So... Where does everybody party at?

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

Just wanted to see where everyone goes to have a fun night out. I've mostly stayed around the SLT and Gongti areas, sometimes Bling, and I'm looking to explore new places :) I like hip hop music, can't stand techno or house, so I feel most at home in places like VICS. Any suggestions are welcome!

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

Haha I'm not really into the whole lone wolf thing, but you're lucky that's all you need to have fun. My partying ways have really put a strain on my wallet...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

If you like vics, my best suggestion would be to stay home, put the latest top 10 CD on at maximum volume, open your door, and invite the nearest stranger into your home to bang you. You can save 50 RMB and get the same result.

• Cindy
    Cindy wrote:

@ 莫明

is that what u got from Vics?

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

Oh c'mon VICS isn't thaaat bad... Well okay maybe it is, but that's why I'm looking for alternatives here! Help me out!

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

@ George: You're not welcome here. Shoo. Go take a nap.

• Henry Chen
    Henry Chen wrote:

There's plenty of alternatives to Vics and MIX... juicy spot looks like fun, and yugongyishan has interesting events. lantern (around 3.3) is free entrance and provides loud music, although their drinks are expensive like you'd expect. There's always richy and cargo and coco and stuff.

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

@ Henry: Hahahaha what up. Richy and Cargo suck, btw.

• xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx wrote:
    VICS sucks big time. Lately I have been hanging in wudaokou, not Propaganda though.There is a nice korean place in wudaokou, i don't know the name, but its great. 5L of Tsingdao for 50 kuai, good sojun.Pyro and Lush are also good . In Sanlitun, I usually hang out at Kokomo, Nanjie, Luga's. Juicy Spot is only good on Saturdays, not packed at all and the music is great.
  • Simen Wangberg

"If you like vics, my best suggestion would be to stay home, put the latest top 10 CD on at maximum volume, open your door, and invite the nearest stranger into your home to bang you. You can save 50 RMB and get the same result."

Died laughing. Sadly, this is actually a pretty good summation of the Vics experience.

"...can't stand techno or house..."

Better stay out of Lantern - the place is run by Acupuncture Records, Beijing's biggest techno label. Honestly, I never really go to any of the kinda places that you're into - but yeah, most of them are concentrated around the Gongti/SLT neighborhood.

If you find yourself in Wudaokou, Mango isn't too bad - the service is good, drinks are decent and reasonably priced. It's in the U-Center, right by the subway station.

Fuck Propaganda up its stupid ass. Just throwing that out there.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

@ Mike: Why all the mad hate on Propaganda? I hear it's a good student hangout, or at least used to be. Perhaps it's a thing of the past now. Wudaokou is too far though...

@ errrbody else: Thanks for the suggestions.

• Simen Wangberg

"Why all the mad hate on Propaganda?"

Oh man. Where to start.

Pros: Skanky chicks. Cheap booze.

Cons: Tons of creepy drunk foreign assholes. Shitty music, even by clubbing standards. The place is waaay too tiny for the amount of people that go there, it gets insanely crowded on the weekends. Cheap booze is fake booze, a hangover from hell awaits. I never had any particularly bad service, but I've heard that the bouncers are assholes and will rough people up with little excuse.

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

@ Mike: Cheap, fake booze is all I drink, I'm poor. I hear it's crowded pretty much everyday of the week, which is insane. Well it doesn't sound very appealing, so I guess I'll stick to Mango if I'm ever in the area.

• Simen Wangberg

"Well it doesn't sound very appealing, so I guess I'll stick to Mango if I'm ever in the area."

Honestly, Mango is pretty decent. And this is coming from a dude that generally despises clubbing. My girlfriend has dragged me in there a couple times and I managed to genuinely enjoy myself a little bit. A LITTLE bit.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

It all depends on the scene you like, the people you'd like to meet and how many drinks you'd like to throw down.

I tend to stay away from the bigger box clubs because they appeal to the lowest common denominator -- they're rife with meatheads and their female counterparts -- making it unlikely for me to meet people with whom I actually have something in common.

Yeah, I'm an elitist.

As far as clubs go, I'm a fan of places like D Lounge and Lantern. Try those. Xiu is okay, too. Interesting and well-educated crowds, for the most part, and a lounge-y atmosphere.

DAO in Xizhimen will occassionally have hip hop events, as will Obiwan (Xihai).

But I'd rather spend my free time in Gulou. Go there if you're down with live music, local culture, 4am hotpot sessions and drinking Tsingdao in the street.

• Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hip Hop, good luck.
  • Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

@ Pete DeMola: Hey hey woah woah. I like those kinda clubs okay, some people enjoy the music and dancing and aren't necessarily there to make long-lasting friendships or relationships, no need to hate. What kind of music do D Lounge and Xiu play? Gulou actually sounds quite nice... Too bad Houhai is too far, I never really go there.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

No "hate" here. You asked for a recommendation where "everyone goes to have a fun night out" and I gave you my insights.

I personally don't enjoy big clubs, but I don't recall issuing a judgement on those who do (see above) and their reasons for attending.

D Lounge and Xiu played downtempo lounge-style stuff when I was there.

Yeah, Gulou is cool. It's becoming more trendy now, but remains unpolished and gritty. And Houhai is a tourist trap.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

Totally agree with Mike in regards to Propaganda.

I usually frequented live music bars during my Beijing days. D-22, 13 Club, Mao Livehouse, 2 Kolegas, Yugong Yishan and so on. For a place to just kick back and have some beers with friends, I always prefered beer gardens to bars in the summer time. The one by the Wudaokou subway is really nice.

• Simen Wangberg

"The one by the Wudaokou subway is really nice."

Hell yes. I love chillaxin down there, beer gardens in the summer are the bomb. Seconding the suggestions of both Peters, you guys know how to party. I've never been to D Lounge or Xiu myself, but I've heard good things.

• Valmir Shala
    Valmir Shala wrote:

gulou sorry where is that place is near what???????

• Daniel Westerberg

I probobly sound boring like hell now, but the best nights is to just take 1 or 2 friends, grab a seat outside in the evening during the summer at a "Chua'r ba" and just eat BBQ, drink cheap beer and talk and laugh all night (until the gouverment (wife) calls and asks where the hell you are 2 o'clock in the morning).

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

"Gulou" is the neighborhood centered around the Drum and Bell Towers in the center of the city (north of Tiananmen, or directly west of Sanlitun and all of that).

I'm with you, Daniel, on the chuan'r and beer thing.

My friends and I call it the "朋友, 朋友 Experience" because we undoubtedly always end up tossing back a few with the occupants of the table next to us.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Daniel, your "government" seems much nicer compared to mine ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Yes, Danial and Pete have it right. Chuan'r night some time guys?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Uncle D, What does your government do? Mine insists on coming with me and then making subtly insulting comments until she complains that she wants to go.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Chuan'r and Yanjing are meant to be consumed in a squatting position.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... my government does not have the initiative to make friends with other governments, so it is usually up to me to establish a communication with the outside world ... and since neither of us drinks nor smokes, and not into loud (modern) music, so we dont go to those usual places that you might go ...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

No drinking, smoking or loud music paired with an introverted wife. I think I understand why you appear to be so sexually-frustrated. 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Pete, and I dare to ask, so the opposite would be? Mathew? Jon Gu? Thanks, but I think I am quite OK being where and what I am :)

• Daniel Westerberg

@Pete

haha yeah, more than once one ends up talking crap with the owner or some random guests. It's great, much better than hoing to mix (or any random club), paying 10 times as much for the same beer, trying to get a place to sit and when finding one, you sitll have to yell to hear what you try to say..

@叮 噹叔叔

My gouverment is nice :) as long as I don't get dead drunk :D

@莫 明

She usually don't like to come along, atleast if the friends I go out with are Swedish, since we always end up talking swedish and she dosn't understand shit of our strange language haha But she does stay up waiting for me to come home, and starts calling and asking where I am around midnight, hurrying me to get back home :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Daniel, the question then is, how often do you get drunk? Oh, and yours is Chinese, right?

In the same situation, being that she knows Mandarin and English, and can also understand Cantonese, she is likely to tag along ... hahahaha ...

I suggest that we get a dinner thing together, with all the "diplomats" and just eat and talk :)

• Rebecca Arnesen

study is the new party

• Joakim Berg Solum

The party is in my.... ah fuck it, never mind. I'm going to bed now. Just got my visa today, looks like I'll be in Beijing in about a month...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I think Mango would be ok without the music and entire dance area. At least they have billiards and table football.

I would go back to Propaganda, if only because there are places to sit down upstairs. Also it's free and the bouncer will be kind enough to hold my knife for me. Maybe my memories of this club are biased due to the fact that I actually got a girl to dance with me there.

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

@ 莫奕迅: Why no expats? And I agree Mix always has way too many people. I haven't been to Cargo for a long time, but when I went it was pretty sucky. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime.

Btw, does anyone know how Club LA is? Is it a yypical VICS-type place? How about Chocolate Club?

• Saina
    Saina wrote:

I've been wondering where to go now as well....nowadays VIcs and Mix seem to be full of 发廊小弟type of guys who seize every chance to press theri penis against u and ask u stupid questions...

Xiu is cool but the band is just hopeless...D lounge isn't a dancing place at all.

Cargo, Angel and Coco Banana r full of middle aged men looking for Ernais.

All that just made me become a boring woman stick to tango balls...but I really prefer disco....Hope there is a club where men could just watch us dancing or think of sth interesting to say before putting hands on our bodies....

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

@Jade, Expats won't shower 小莫 with the attention he demands for being so witty & handsome (white & English speaking).

Also, the ones who hang out in expat areas tend to be douchebags.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Not true, actually...

• ❤Pinkbubble❤

@ Sai Na---u r so funny!haha 发廊小弟type

I agree with you. I also wanna learn tango but I don't have a partner~!

• Petter Meisfjordskar
    I do not think many men enjoy putting their hands on ladies bodies, at some point i think that even many ladies enjoy it and would feel bad if not talked too or nothing happened. That is why i think you make up so much so to be seen. Men do not make up because they are born handsome, we do not need that at all, and do not need to wear appetizers like women do. Some with crooked legs with scars will wear mini skirts too to be seen. U have been to clubs where men do not give a damn which girl is there. Try Tango and the 2nd ring road. The music is not that the best, but men there never bother women at all. And i have seen some ladies disappointed at times.
  • Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

@ Sai Na: HAHA you're completely right!

@ YanniC: I don't mind grinding with guys, as long as they're good looking (yes, I'm shallow). I went to Destination once and it was really boring. Going with my freaked out homophobic guy friend didn't help much. Kept talking about assrape or some such nonsense.

@ COOL: "I do not think many men enjoy putting their hands on ladies bodies" - you're joking right?

• Simen Wangberg

"How about Chocolate?"

Chocolate is BADASS. But expensive. Basically it's just really tacky and silly and so much fun. Midgets, trannies, Chinese gangsters and Russian hookers - all can be found at Chocolate. Christ, I should do PR for them or something.

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

@ Mike: Midgets and trannies all in one place?! Holy fuck this place sounds amazing!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Never been to Chocolate but I'm all about partying with trannies, midgets, whores, and gangsters.

• Simen Wangberg

Seriously dudes, Chocolate is the bomb. I mean, I don't think it's the kind of place that you can go to often, the shock value will wear off. But it's hilarious on a weekend with a group of friends.

Get there in time for the midnight show - your jaw will hit the floor multiple times. Then go to KTV afterwards, there's a Party World within walking distance. Then again, I think there's a Party World within walking distance no matter where you go in Beijing...

• Kent Bekkavik
    Kent Bekkavik wrote:

Don't spoil chocolate with bunch of hooray kids. This place has a special vibe NOT NOT NOT to be destroyed with any kind of broader PR. A welcome nod from a dwarf is their best PR for freak of guests.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.