Discussion » Film & TV » Why not Avatar?

• Jack
    Jack wrote:
    I am still confused that what made the jury to chose "Hurt Locker" as No.1 movie... ??? need ur comments girls and guys.
  • Joakim Berg Solum

A movie that portrays the US Military in a somewhat good light is a lot more helpful than a movie that shits all over the Marine Corp. Especially in this political environment.

I don't mean this in a bad way either. Of course everyone knows the military has its issues but still, I salute those guys.

• Jade Chen
    Jade Chen wrote:

Well, Avatar did indeed have stunning visuals, but it has a pretty overused storyline: man vs. corporation, which is essentially good vs. evil and is a theme that is just seriously overdone. Avatar is pretty much all fluff and no substance, and that's not enough if you want to win best picture.

I haven't watched The Hurt Locker yet, so I'm not going to justify its stance as Best Picture, but from the amazing reviews I've heard and read about, it seems like it deserved it.

• xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx wrote:

Sounds to me like dirty politics all over.

The reason is that, the Academy wanted to honor the work of a woman, the first female to win an Oscar for best direction, it was either her or the dude who directed Precious, first African American, plus i don't think they wanted to hear James cameron yell "I am the king of the world" for the second time. ^ _^ 

• Joakim Berg Solum

Precious was a great movie BTW

• Hanne Jensen
    Hanne Jensen wrote:
    whatever the reason is, I like Avatar more than Hurt Locker, it had good story, well directed, drama, romance, action, animation, a new thought and it was the first movie in 3D.
  • Simen Wangberg

Avatar sucked ass six ways to Sunday. Hurt Locker didn't deserve to win as big as it did, but still. Avatar never deserved to win Best Picture.

While we're on the topic...

Can someone

anyone

please

please

explain why the Chinese are so fucking infatuated with this movie? I mean, it's popular all over the world, but the Chinese have taken it to a new level. Kinda like they did when Michael Jackson died (explaining to my colleagues that he was a drug addict and possibly a pederast was quite entertaining).

For real though. What's the big deal with Avatar? It's just like any other shitty movie dressed up in special effects. Why do you guys love it so much? I just want answers.

• Hanne Jensen
    Hanne Jensen wrote:

@ Mike: I have nothing to say for u except that different people and different tastes. 

• Simen Wangberg

"...different people and different tastes."

This doesn't account for the Chinese obsession with Avatar. Hell, there's even a shanzhai photo essay version of the damn thing: http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/alianya-chinese-shanzhai-version-of-avatar.html

What's the deal, Chinese folks? I mean, it's not the worst movie in the world, but I just don't get why so many people over here love this movie.

• Hanne Jensen
    Hanne Jensen wrote:

Firstly, I am not Chinese, secondly, culture difference made u confused at this point.

Can u tell me reasons for not liking Avatar? actually I am not interested but seems that u like to ask questions so wanna take some answer from u this time. 

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

C'mon Mike, Avatar isn't a bad story. I think it's actually a good story, just an exceedingly simple one that isn't at all original. I believe Dances with Wolves wasn't original in 1992 or whenever it came out, so I don't see why it would be original 20 years later. Still, not a bad story at all. The predictability of it doesn't make it crap.

And besides, that movie is beautiful. The special effects do count for something, and it's pretty amazing to see a world designed like that.

I wouldn't argue that it should win best picture on any counts, but I didn't see Precious and I don't plan to see The Hurt Locker, so I don't have much to compare it to for last year.

Why the Chinese obsession with it? Have you watched the piles of crap produced for Chinese cinema? If you compare Avatar to that, and recall that China has only been selectively showing a few foreign movies in cinemas for the last few years (prior to which they showed none), then you would be obsessed with it too!

• Simen Wangberg

"Firstly, I am not Chinese..."

Uh, yeah. Couldn't tell.

Why don't I like Avatar? Too long (three hours of this shit?), terrible acting, terrible writing ("Unobtainium"? Give me a fucking break.) Didn't live up to any of the hype. I could give a shit less about 3-D and gee-whiz special effects. As others have noted, the story has been done over and over, a million times better, by many other directors. I'll take Ferngully any day over this horseshit.

To be fair, James Cameron did direct the first two Terminator movies, as well as Aliens. He pretty much gets a lifetime pass from me for that shit. Avatar still sucked though.

• Simen Wangberg

"...recall that China has only been selectively showing a few foreign movies in cinemas for the last few years (prior to which they showed none), then you would be obsessed with it too!"

Hmmm. Good point.

I mean, yeah, it's not necessarily fair to criticize a movie just because it has a worn-out plot, but the fact that the movie was lauded as this new, amazing, innovative thing just pissed me off.

• Hanne Jensen
    Hanne Jensen wrote:

haha... OK, I can smell the taste u have. BTW, I also like criticism, good activity to keep the blood warm ;)

• StrawberryIceCream

Maybe the judging panel wants to look unique

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.