Discussion » Nonsense » Why the West Faces a Harsher Future

• Vincent AKA 文森特
    Vincent AKA 文森特 wrote:

Review by Martin Wolf

Published: July 12 2010 04:00 

Losing Control: The Emerging Threats to Western Prosperity, by Stephen KingYale University Press, RRP£20 ($30)

The writer is the chief economics commentator of the Financial Times. Any comments?

• Erik Aleksander Aas
  • Albulena Imeri

Very likely. But I think it's 10 to 30 years down the road.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Vincent, I think you misposted. You intended to post this on a website for literate people who are interested in global politics, right? We're just a bunch of twats here though.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Brian, there is no place for you on this website...

I mean that in a good way.

• Joakim Berg Solum

This is why I'm moving to China... part of the reason at least. Opportunities o'plenty. But fuck if I'm not gonna miss my guns and motorcycles and pick up truck.... I'm a redneck at heart.

• Joakim Berg Solum

On another note, everyone told me that an ARM mortgage was a bad idea 5 years ago. Well shit. My interest rate just dropped from 5.3% to 3.2% today. 3.2% on a mortgage... wow! I'd refinance but I won't get anywhere near that rate. Hopefully that place will be completely paid off in the next 5 years and I won't have to worry about it anymore.

• Joakim Berg Solum

Yeah... I neglected to mention the part about how I lost over $60k in equity (almost 25%) over that 5 years... fucking piece of shite Chicago housing market. Then again I guess I was unlucky for graduating and buying a home at the peak of the bubble in 2005. At least it will be over with soon so I can finally start collecting rent payments actually in excess of my mortgage payments.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.