Discussion » Nonsense » Worst traffic in the world!

• 赛博 - Saibo
    赛博 - Saibo wrote:

Beijing has the worst traffic conditions in the world according to a survey by IBM

That's not a surprise for one of the city that develops the fastest in the world, it's hard for transport infrastructures to follow!

But still interesting to have some actual data to back the "feeling" that something is wrong with the circulation in this city!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

One (perhaps old) saying ... the hardware is all there, but the software cannot keep up ...

• Joachim D. Jensen

survey people clearly havent been to vietnam

what is this i dont even

• Daniel Westerberg

Astaroth, look in west and east also (not south). I live out in tong zhou and the traffic here while still being messy with chinese drivers driving like they want, it's atleast not heavy traffic so as long as you don't drive in to the city during rush hours, it's real nice traffic. I take the bus or subway from here to Yong An Li/ Guo Mao in about 35-40 minutes when it's not rush hours.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

you guys should pay a visit to India, haha

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

I guess the study is more on how the traffic affects people's activity than on how crazy people drive.

I know for sure that people in india drive like crazy mad men and you have cars and motorbikes and impossible to describe vehicles all going in every possible direction. But that does not necessarily mean that it blocks people from going to work or getting their way around the city.

• Joakim Berg Solum

Hence I am not planning to get a car in Beijing. What's the point... one of the things I hate most is A) Looking for parking or B) having to pay for parking

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Jon, you have probably forgotten that you are Chinese, at least on the outside? Provided you say something loud in English, even if "good lovely morning to you" to the parking attendents, you can quite possibly get away from paying any parking fee ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

yeah, how crazy people drive doesn't necessarily mean how it would affect people's activity, however, it does in many cases, such as in Beijing, such as in India, such as in...you should pay a visit, haha. "efficient" chaos merely exist, though possible.

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

Because there're so many people here.Many many many persons came and are coming here.You can't complain it,just we're here.

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

That is the most stupid common bullshit used to have a good reason to do nothing: "oh there are just too many people in china, it's too difficult to do things good"

If you seriously think so and think that the ppl who drive that country are not up to the challenge then just let go one or 2 provinces, some of them would be pretty happy not to be in China I'm sure.

There's around 17 million people in BJ, there's almost 20 million in New York city. NY scores only 10 points in that study and BJ scores 99. Oh yeah but then NYC is only 160 ppl per km² where BJ is 1300 ppl per km².

Ok, you asked for it, then take the greater area of Tokyo, they have 34 million people with more than 2500 ppl per km² and they're not even listed here, and from what I've seen while I was there traffic is far from bad.

Yes there are many people in China and in Beijing, this is in no way an excuse not to try and make things better. If they can do it in Tokyo, in a situation that is way worse: basically you don't change Beijing's size but double it's population, then how does the "number argument" explain that things don't work as smoothly here?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

The (silly) logic here, and as my wife had repeatedly explained to me, is that ...

As a foreigner (i.e. guest to this country), we are supposed to "like" (or accept) what we are given (i.e. the way it is) but not complain about it, being that China (including your local friends) is the "host", and so we should feel thankful ...

And when there should be any complaint, they will defend and find reason (worse still, excuses) against it ... e.g. I have often complained that the drivers should give way to pedestrians, and my wife actually defended on their behalf ...

However, when local people talks about it, it is called "discussion" ...

... back to topic ...

The BJ govt tried to do a "satellite town" thing by making more parking spaces at the long-distance express bus stops and subway stations far away from CBD, so that people could park at the stop or station and then take public transport, and I think that was a good thing ... unfortunately, they failed to realise that most people DONT think about the big picture, but only of themselves, and have also underestimated the number of parking spaces required ... this article from China Daily was interesting :)

Cars slow express bus to a crawl

By Li Jiabao (CHINA DAILY)
    Updated: 2010-07-06 13:37

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/metro/2010-07/06/content_10070873.htm

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Yeah, I get that idea too, that since I'm a foreigner in China, my criticism is not welcome. That's stupid, do you think that when I'm back in France I start thinking that everything is wonderful and have no more complaints???

But I don't live in France right now so I don't care that the traffic in Paris is awful most of the time. I don't care that the subway there is getting old and is appearing to be undersized regarding the increasing passenger traffic. That's the problem of the people who are living there right now (no matter they're French, German, Portuguese, or Chinese). But for now I live in Beijing and realize that the traffic sucks.

By 2020 everywhere you are inside the 4th ring road, you're supposed to be no further than a 10 minutes walk to the closest subway station. I certainly hope they can do it rather than just look at the number of people and give up saying "oh there's just too many, nothing can be done!"

This would also make those "satellite towns" more useful because without a very good transportation system in the city, those are not very useful.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Saibo, when we moved to Da Wang Lu (near Carrefour) in mid 2006, the southern part of the road was just dirt road, and then they made it pretty ... but good things dont last long in BJ for some reason, and they decided to rip it all out to lay down the wires or something ... ok, it was pretty again, for another couple of months ... then it was the bus stop and flyover ...

For some reason unknown to me, the word "planning" either does not exist, or it seem to have a very meaning than what we are used to ... and we can forget about "town planning" ... hahahaha ...

• Joakim Berg Solum

There should be like a non-stop subway... instead of individual trains, it would be more like a conveyor belt system that never stops. Sort of like ski lifts. That would greatly increase subway capacity and also increase the potential for hilarity during loading and unloading.

I forgot the link but personal transportation systems on rails looks promising too. I just don't know how they will manage the throughput in such a system to have efficient loading/unloading for large masses of people.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

tho I love ideas about personal transportation, and once and once again whimmed about the "telesport", still, to be more practical, only one question's in my mind: damn, why city dwellers have to go here and there?! why we have to transport people?why not just transport goods? I believe that after few decades, we will be able to build a P2P instant goods delivery system, like utilizing vacuum tubes or other ways.

Of coz, the reasons people going out varies, eg, hang out with friends, but I believe THIS will significantly reduce the frenquency of people's going out.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I know ... let's invent the Star Trek "transporter" ... but my concern is, with the number of people in BJ (and other cities), would our particles get crossed and then we become deformed when we re-materialised? Imagine, someone with the head of Pete, but with the body of Jon Gu and the arms and legs of Mathew A ... hahahaha ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

the "deforming-reforming" thing seems too unbelievable to me, so I prefer the idea of curving the time-space. Oh, is it much more 扯淡? ahhh…

• Simen Wangberg

"instead of individual trains, it would be more like a conveyor belt system that never stops."

Like the Mid-Level Escalator in Hong Kong? That thing is actually pretty damn cool.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

huh? Mike, what is this Mid-Level Escalator in Hong Kong? You mean the one along the slopes on Hong Kong Island?

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

Yes, the traffic in Beijing is terrible, but worst in the world? Don't think so.

Based on my personal experience, Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh is worse, especially the latter.

• Simen Wangberg

"huh? Mike, what is this Mid-Level Escalator in Hong Kong? You mean the one along the slopes on Hong Kong Island?"

That's the one. Runs across SoHo up to...I don't know, wherever it ends. I never took it all the way to the top actually. Cool idea though.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... never have the chance to try that ... Causeway Bay every time, all the time ... supposedly the longest "escalator " in the world too :)

• Simen Wangberg

"Causeway Bay every time, all the time..."

Never made it down to Causeway, I heard it's cool down there though. Actually, it was shitty and rainy both times I visited Hong Kong. Fuck, I hate Hong Kong. Fuck that city up its stupid ass.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... where did you usually stay or hang out in HK? Admiralty or Central? Causeway Bay, is mainly for shopping and hanging out ... but most foreigners prefer Lan Kuai Fong ...

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

ok,ok,saibo,I'm wrong,I was trying to find an excuse.Should I go to hell?

But,you said Beijing has the worst traffic in the world.I think any Chinese person won't be comfortable when see those words.worst in the world??too...I know the traffic is pretty bad in Beijing,and also usually complain so bad traffic.Every day there's a traffic jam to go to work or come back to home.Fuck! In rush hour forever.

You can say bad or worse,but not worst in the world.

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Hello????

Did you read my initial post or the study that goes with it or did you stop at the title and thought it was enough??

I didn't say that the traffic here is the worst in the world, I said that people made a study and found out that it is the worst here in Beijing! Now what is that study based on? It's based on answers to a set of questions, answers given by people who drive here, so we can assume that most if not all of them are chinese people who drive in Beijing. And THEY "said" (they did not say it themselves but the answers they gave shows this) that the traffic here is worse than anywhere else (except mexico).

So there's only 2 ways in my opinion to understand that study:

- either what they said is true and here is the worst traffic in the world

- or it's just that people here complain more than they do in other places

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

An old Chinese saying I have learnt ... 人比人,比死人... and I always stress that comparison is a very misleading thing ... so what if BJ traffic is not the worst in the world, or better than certain cities? Well, like it or not, it is still BAD, very, very BAD ...

It took me about 6 months to get used to the Ring Road design ... it is very good in general, well, when there is nearly no traffic on the road, but again, the "me me me" mentality in Beijing (or China) often works against it, and you often see people trying to get onto the Ring Road while some people are trying to get off, all stuck at (or around) the same point ...

• Simen Wangberg

"but most foreigners prefer Lan Kuai Fong..."

Hate Lan Kuai Fong. HATE Lan Kuai Fong. It's like they took the Sanlitun bar street (the shitty part with all the huge neon beer signs and shit) and multiplied it five-fold. All the bars have the same shitty decor, and they're all expensive and you can't smoke in them. Fuck Lan Kuai Fong.

Basically, I don't like shopping, I don't like wealthy people and I don't like seafood - Hong Kong fails me in almost every respect. The outlying islands are pretty cool though.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... calm down ... I cannot drink, and I dont like bar scene myself, but I have visited LKF before, and there are also some quiet street corners ... my friend opened a fruit juice bar over there, busy but not noisy ...

With the "cant smoke" thing ... heehee... I quite like that though, since I dont smoke either ... but I cannot help but wonder what will the Tun be like when the "smoking ban" happens in BJ ... that would be interesting ...

• Simen Wangberg

"...when the "smoking ban" happens in BJ..."

More like if it happens. C'mon, you really think they're gonna tell all these restaurants and bars and shit that no one can smoke there anymore? I'll buy you a cookie if the ban is actually enforced to any degree.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... let's just say that many people had doubts when the HK govt pushed that in Hong Kong, and for such a small place of 7m people, it took about 5 to 6 months to settle the matter, so I just thought it would be "interesting" to see what happens in the capital when they push that ...

... and if I may, I would like to get a Mrs Fields when you go to Hong Kong next time ... heehee ...

• Simen Wangberg

"...so I just thought it would be "interesting" to see what happens in the capital when they push that..."

I dunno man. I'll be pretty damn surprised if the ban is even halfway effective. I guess it'll be for the best though...see my quitting smoking thread. Ugh.

Mrs. Fields...no doubt. It is nice to get stuff down there that you can't ordinarily get in Beijing, but still...I don't see myself going down to that place again anytime soon.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... good luck to you and anyone else who wanted to quit ... or had tried but failed and still want to try some more...

Yes ... they had done well prior Olympics, and as soon as that was over, well ... they govt tried it with the BJ hospitals, but needless to say, it failed ...

Again ... it would be "interesting" to see what happens, when it happens, if it happens...

Damn ... we have stretched too far ... heehee ... and I do miss my Mrs Fields, they make better cookies than Subway :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.