Discussion » Nonsense » How did you know weliveinbeijing?

• Apollo
    Apollo's mom wrote:

Although it's a new website(started in 2008?or 2007?I don't know),there're already 109500 members.How hot !!!

I knew here about May this year(really don't remember clearly).That day I looked for some material,then found this good place from a guy.He said WLIBJ was very nice and they often held some activities.So,I came.

How did you find here??

interestinginteresting pictures

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I got spammed by someone else who signed up and gave the website their hotmail password or something stupid like that. I decided to look at it though since the title was quite specific to me, versus something stupid and vague like myspace.

I then got addicted to posting quips in response to some of the sillier threads...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

More or less the same as Ming ...

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

hehe...

Do we all use hotmail when we signed up?No yahoo or other?

I don't know why those mails from WLIBJ are all in the spam.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Not entirely sure how WLIB does it ... but similar things can be found on Kaixin and Facebook etc, i.e. asking for your HOTMAIL and password, and then scanned through to send emails ...

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

oh,let it go at that,actually,I don't mind.But I think we can write down our diary in Kaixin or other forum

• Li Han
    Li Han wrote:

don't remember how i got here........ specially when facebook doesn't work here anymore.....but it's a cool place. i like the discussion part.

• NN
    NN wrote:

A friend invited me into this social network.So I accepted.

It is pretty interesting to read the threads and comments,especially for the funny ones.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I signed up after seeing an ad Ole posted on The Beijinger in July 2008. It was still a trial site then, so there were few members and it was full of bugs. I resolved never to waste my time with it again, but about a month later I started getting all kinds of messages from it, and I dropped in and was amazed to find out how much it had improved. The rest is history.

• Simen Wangberg

Pete forced me to browse the site at gunpoint.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Sorry about that, Mike. 

*adjusts sights, resumes target practice*

• Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:

got a business card from one drunk motherfucker who i met at nanjie   during summer holidays of  2008....apparently i can hook up  with a beautiful chick in beijing  cos  they know where all the beautiful chicks are.....i gave it a try...joined the WLIB launch party during winter 2009...till mid 2010 i been an active member.. I got Nothing,......now I can call it Quit!!!!!

• MoMo
    MoMo wrote:

facebook.

• anita sønsterud

facebookl

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Facebook and those cool black t-shirts. I came here when bjstuff.com became boring.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I read an article about it in my favorite newspaper in the whole entire world, China Daily.  Must have been last fall some time.

• Synne Syverstad

Ethan, haha, it is also my favorite as I never figure it out~!

• Synne Syverstad

I ask a foreign friend of mine how did he came across his GF, he told in a website called Weliveindalian~ then ,,,

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:
    huh...So many friends knew here from facebook,but facebook can't work now. Why? : ( Oh,did it advertise in China Daily? It seems that it started in July 2008 from Peter? Whoa!!!There're only two years.So popular!
  • Joakim Berg Solum

Some dude told me it was a good place to pick up chicks... I think I signed up in Feb?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Sasuke 写道:huh...So many friends knew here from facebook,but facebook can't work now. Why?

Funny, I keep hearing about this thing called "facebook“ on here, but I don't think it really exists, because we all know that China doesn't censor the internet for business or political reasons.

• Kkg
    Kkg wrote:

by an invitation mail from a friend.  the guy came here by accident, and uploaded his mail addrs. so the desaster began....

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

莫明,yeah,I pretty agree with you,because I never opened it.So youtube is,if it could work in China before?Now be closed?

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

Jon Gu,have you picked up your lots of chicks? lol~

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

Kkg

desaster?Why do you call it desaster?You don't like it,huh?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Sasuke, Yeah, there's no such thing as "youtube" either. The only social networking sites and video sharing sites in the world are all Chinese invested companies, and none of them have any commentary in opposition of the party's opinion. Again, I have to stress that this is not because of censorship, but rather because no one overseas is smart enough to think up this kind of business idea, and because everyone in the world completely agrees with the party on all matters.

• Simen Wangberg

Careful son, you 'bout to get harmonized all over the place

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Mike, I've already been harmonized. My opinion is exactly the opinion deemed appropriate to express.

On a proud note, yesterday marked the 1 month point since the last time Pete had to delete any of my posts.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

莫明

Yesterday also marked four years of my beautiful and harmonious life here in Beijing, so how about that?

As a prize for your support, I'll give you some tickets for the DJ Nu-Mark (Jurassic 5) set at Yugong Yishan later this week... if, that is, no one enters the damn contest (no one has).

But tell us a funny travel story... I imagine you have several.

• Petter Meisfjordskar

I have never been on WLIB. 

• Joakim Berg Solum

Pete, you left America for China on the Fourth of July? That's messed up dude. hahaha

*meekly raises hand*

Can I have the tickets?

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Nah, I left another part of China to come here on the World's Greatest Day.

Jon, I'd give you the tickets, but you're in the States....

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Uhm... 〈crickets chirping〉

I fell out of an airplane over Beijing 4 years ago, and haven't been able to make enough money to get out of here since.

如果你看英文比较费劲,就不用读下面的小故事。很无聊,你会讨厌我。

...I once thought it would be a good idea to take a bus from Dali to Xishuangbanna. This was probably because I had never been on a long range bus trip in China at that point, and also had never been on the backwater unpaved mountain roads that lead to xishuangbanna either.

The trip was supposed to take 12 hours. However, after 12 hours of bouncing up and down while inhaling second hand smoke and listening to people's cell phones music, we had only gotten as far as a cafeteria in some mountain village. The bus driver decided we should stop there for dinner, which I presume is because he gets a commission for bringing people there, rather than because the village is on the way to Xishuangbanna. It was a real village hovel. Outside it was pitch black with no cars or street lights of course. The bathroom was just the side of the hill, with a concrete platform to squat on and a crumbling brick wall around it to for privacy. No running water of course. You get the idea. Nice place to stop for a midnight dinner.

Anyway, after most people from the bus had finished eating and gone back out from the restaurant, the owner came over to me and decided that my meal should cost three times as much as everyone elses. The logic was that he had of course given me three times as much food without my even asking for it, and cleverly managed to make it look like the same amount of food. Needless to say, I felt slightly peturbed. Although the difference in cost was between 10 and 30 RMB, It's the principle that counts, right?

So of course, I decided not to pay more than the correct amount. I don't like arguing with cheaters, so my idea of negotiating is to walk away. By this point, everyone else was back on the bus ready to go. I walked out, but the boss came out after me grabbed me quite forcefully. I don't like people trying to cheat me, and I really don't like people getting in my way and grabbing me. Fortunately though, I do like side-kicking people, which is exactly what I did after pushing him off me. Even I was a little surprised as he sailed over the meter-high crumbling wall of the outside toilet which had just been made use of by 40 bus passengers, and down the hill into a pile of fecies.* As I mentioned, it was completely dark out, so either no one saw this or no one cared. I immediately got back on the bus and we drove off.

Another 5 bumpy hours later, we arrived in Xishuangbanna. I guess that incedent made the trip worth it, since it's not every day that you get away with kicking someone into a pile of fecies. for everyone who's not interested in that sort of thing though, I recommend you spend the additional 300 RMB and fly there instead of being such a cheapskate.

*I have taken some artistic license with this story in order to make it more interesting. By artistic license, I mean distortion of the facts combined with outright lies.

My travel stories are very boring and usually consist of me spending the most money to go to the places with the cheapest tropical fruits, where I gorge myself oblivious to the fact that I could have saved money by staying where I was and just going to the supermarket.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Awesome.

I assume by "distorting the facts" you mean you edited out the part where the owner's team of ninjas ambushes you on the way back to the bus, and you have to fight them off while hanging on to the fender as it drives away?

I can see why you'd cut that part out, for brevity's sake.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ethan: Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I'm amazed you caught that.

• 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:

莫名,I'm glad you didn't give in.hehe

I hate that coach,it's very common that the drivers take passengers to that highest-price-and-worst-service restaurants.Because they can make much money.Ah,money is a good thing.Maybe the boss saw you were foreigner,thought you didn't understand Chinese,so rip you off........

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ok Pete, where's my tickets?

By the way, what are "DJ Nu-Mark",  "Jurassic 5", and "Yugong Yishan"??

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I actually own Quality Control -- although it never really grabbed me -- and I've been to Yugong Yishan more than once. Does that make me the most qualified person on this site to enjoy a DJ Nu-Mark set for free?

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

莫明
    I'll get back to you with door entry info for you and your guest. 

"DJ Nu-Mark," "Jurassic 5" and "Yugong Yishan" are code phrases for "me," "my vuvuzela quartet" and "the WLIB Office," respectively. 

Excited yet?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.