Discussion » Beijing Life » (boring) Cost of Living

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

Having discussed a little about this in the other thread already, I am quite curious how much everyone spends while living in Beijing, or whichever city you are in China!

0. Which city are you now?

1. Average grocery cost (weekly or monthy, or per trip) - you can include beer and cigarettes if they are part of your grocery, just specify what is in your list

2. Dining out - let's not include bar or pub, but a decent meal ... specify what is considered a decent meal

3. Transportation - do you have your own car? taxi around? or just bus+subway?

4. Clothes and other essentials - like Mike said in that other thread, computer parts are cheap here, if you know where to look

5. Other non essentials - things like musical gears which seem to be a big thing around here?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

0. Beijing

1. 200 RMB per week, just milk, bread, meat, vege and fruit, and occassional cooking essentials ... go to Jenny Lou's once per month, also around 200, mainly steak and butter

2. for a quick simple lunch, around 10 RMB per person ... for normal Saturday night dinner, about 100 RMB ... Chinese is usually cheaper though ...

3. less than 50 RMB per week, not including taxi

4. difficult to estimate ... usually xiu shui for me, 100 for two or three items? ... not often to need computer upgrade ...

5. nothing comes to mind yet
  • Simen Wangberg
    0. Beijing

1. I don't really cook at home...ever. Cigarettes probably come out to 35 yuan a week (one pack a day of 中南海 8's.) Beer...I dunno, maybe 50 yuan a week, if that? I don't actually drink much anymore, especially not at home.

2. Anywhere from 4 yuan for lunch at my employer's canteen to 50-100 yuan for a really nice Western meal. My friends and I largely subscribe to the Chinese tradition of having one person pay for everyone when we eat together, so I can't really say for sure.

3. Bus & subway, around 30-40 yuan a week. I take the subway a lot. I'd like to take fewer taxis, but sometimes it's just more convenient. I rarely spend more than 25 on a taxi ride though, I live close to the center of the city.

4. Clothes...I get stuff tailored at Ya Xiu or pick up stuff at the Zoo Market/Silk Street. Cheap. Really, I think most "essential" stuff is reasonably cheap if you know where to look and aren't expecting amazing quality. Sure, the flashlight you buy at the market down the street might break after using it a few times, but it was only ten kuai...

5. Decent musical equipment...somewhat pricey. Beyond that, I don't actually spend a lot on "non-essential" things...

however, I would like to note that most of the things that we find "essential" (especially Western folk that are still accustomed to living the way they did back home) are really pretty non-essential.
    I'm hardly a role model for thriftiness but I've largely been able to do without most of the Western things that you either A) can't find here or B) are too expensive.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I think it's going to be hard to get straight answers, since in China how much you spend is theoretically connected to how much money you have, most guys are using this website to find local girls to bang, and a lot of local girls decisions over who to bang are related to how much money the guys are perceived to have.

That being said...

0. Beijing

1. 200-300 per week. Fruit, bread, maybe some jam or peanut butter, but those last for a while.

2. Maybe 75 per day if I'm on my own. Doesn't include nights out on the weekend. maybe 100 per meal on the weekend with a drink or two. Chinese for lunch at the mall by work, and something better in the evening.

3. Bus and subway unless I have no option. Maybe one cab ride per week from nanluoguxiang to home after the buses stop running. 5 RMB per day. Averages to 10 RMB per day with the cab ride.

4. I don't buy things. Soap, toothpaste, laundry detergent etc. are basically negligible costs. Ok, maybe I get a get a couple shirts tailored at xiushui once or twice a year

5. See 4.

6. (Money thrown into the money pit /a>). ~10,000 per month

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.