Discussion » Employment Opportunities » Give 莫明 a job

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    So, the company that technically hired me and also provided my work visa is closing down, and thus I'll be needing new employment to stick around in this city. This isn't really a bad thing, since obviously my job gave me far too much time to spend on wlib.

But, this does beg the question, does anyone out there have a job to offer me with close to American wages and a visa?

Besides being offensive, my experience includes database management, sourcing, project management (green building construction), reporting & presentation, and translation.

I also look hot in a suit. (Well, I look hot out of one too, but I am surprisingly unattractive in anything in between)

I thought I'd give this a shot to see if anyone was feeling generous. I haven't yet decided if I should toss my resume up on the Beijinger and take one of the jobs that gets thrown at me, or just move to Taibei where I find less reasons to be offensive.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Taibei sounds like a good option dipshit! HAHA just kidding. Hey man I may have something that may help you out. How are you with Market research and things like that?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Are we talking statistical analysis, or as in searching around online to find what all the competitors are doing and how we should react to and/or copy them?

Actually I'm quite adept at both (well, the statistical regression is rusty, but I can fake it till I get it back), but jobs that involve internet research and then writing reports on internet research all while never talking to people make jack a dull boy...

Also, the "American salary" part is very important. I'd be much more interested in paying you for the hook-up with a new work visa and then just not working than I would be in taking a 10k/mo job. :-D
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Marilyyy, why would you wish such a terrible thing on me? I thought we were friends!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Ming ... just a guess, but I think Kodi was referring to something along the line of Nielsen (or Nielson?) kind of research ...

Being not an American, what kind of number is "American salary"?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Matches up pretty well to Australia and the rest of the developed world mate. Basically though, I'm not really motivated to work here for less than I made when I'd just graduated from university.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Despite the lower cost of living? haha, come on, who are we kidding... for the same "lifestyle" as I would have in America, I actually find that things cost more in Beijing. The only things cheaper are housing, if you rent a small and kinda crappy place, and public transit. Every western restaurant costs more in BJ than the US (and buying cheese and good import beer here is really god damned expensive), all foreign brands are about 30% more and computer stuff is more expensive too since you can never really catch a good fire sale. You can save a lot by not needing to own a car and pay for gas/insurance though.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Jon ... like we have discussed before, you are mixing with the wrong crowd ... I cannot teach you what you hoped to learn from me originally, but I can definitely teach you how to live cheap and poor ...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Oh, I know the answer to living cheaply. 串 and Yanjing beers. But as my dad always said: "It's not about saving money. It's about making enough money that you don't care about saving money anymore."
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... you dad spoke the truth ... but I must say, there is more than 串 and Yanjing beers if you want to live cheap in Beijing ... but since you often eat more than a few 串, that is not too cheap anyway ... I dont drink beer at all, so dont know how much is Yanjing beers ...

Q: (Jon) how much can this cost you?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Cost? For what, Yanjing beer? About 50rmb for 24 600ml bottles. Practically cheaper than bottled water in the US...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

No, I mean, for what you consider to be a meal, 串 and Yanjing beers, how much is it?
    . wrote:
    Me is looking for a job too. Good luck for both of us.
  • Simen Wangberg
    @Jon Gu - C'mon man, you don't have to eat at fancy Western places every night. Or you could even learn to cook (says the guy who has cooked approximately five meals since coming here a year ago). I mean yeah, you can't really live the same lifestyle that you did in the States...but then, what would be the point of coming here? I mean, obviously you have a pretty good reason to do so, just saying.

It's entirely possible to live both comfortably and economically here, I'm sure you know that...fair enough on the computer components though, guess it depends exactly what you're looking for. You're a bit more into that stuff than I am, I just upgrade my RAM and buy external hard drives every once in awhile. Securing decent musical equipment is an expensive proposition as well.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Hahaha, yes Jon, housing is cheaper in Beijing than in the US, because it's shittier. If I could find a 40 sqm flat in the states though, I'm sure it would cost less than here.

Besides, I'm not expecting to get my American salary, just an American salary. You know, just one that would be acceptable to someone who's actually capable of being employed in the US...

But who am I kidding? If I really wanted to work, I would have found a job to send me here before coming to China, right? Or even better, a job that wouldn't send me here! Actually though, legitimate market research is pretty interesting.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    After further contemplation, I don't think I want a job... Has anyone lived in Taibei for a substantial amount of time and wants to share some advice?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Ming ...

Taibei? I think you mean Taipei, as in Taiwan, right?

I know that there are a few Taiwanese here, but mostly "made in Taiwan, grown foreign" ... I did talk to one currently (or previously) living in Taiwan, I need to find her screen name for you ... but what is considered "substantial amount of time"?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Haha, yes uncle D, that's what I mean. I prefer to spell it properly though, since I'm not a big fan of incomprehensible wade-giles. Seriously, under what logic does a " p " make a b sound, and a " p' " make a p sound?

Anybody who worked there would know better than me. Preferably not Taiwan grown though, because local perspectives are always different that [my] foreign ones.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... though I am not familiar with it, I believe the use of "p" instead of "b" is an old habit due to the dialect (or dialet? too lazy to spell check) ... when Taiwan does become a SAR or province of China, then maybe, just maybe, they will change it ... strange though, "Hong Kong" and "Macau" were not renamed ...

I remember her name, I will send you a PM ...
  • Daniel Westerberg
    wtf! 串 and Yanjing beers is the good life :)
    2 beers, 20 串 x 1 rmb, 1 bbq garlic, 2 bbq mantou or 1 nang bread and your set for the evening. Best stuff there is in the summer in Beijing :)
    AND it's cheap too :)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that's about 25RMB for a dinner? I think I can beat that ... I am a walking mosquito home meal, dont really like outdoor dining in Beijing ...
  • Daniel Westerberg
    well you wanna eat cheap just get a small dumpling place and order Hun Dun.. it's like what? 2 rmb for a meal?
    but 25 rmb for a GREAT meal is not expensive at all and you get a lovely time on the street in the evening watching football on the tv, that is hard to beat :)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... two rmb? I dont think I can beat that ... maybe 10 rmb for a dinner? I am a rice person, so Chinese kebab is not suitable for me :)
  • Daniel Westerberg
    Chinese kebab :D they had some lovely chicken kebabs next to the subway in wudaokou when I lived there.. wish they had that here :)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... 串,is just kebab, right? meat on a stick? ... where is "here"?
  • Daniel Westerberg
    no no no no 串 is BBQ stuff on a stick :D kebab is thin slices of meat cut from a big piece of rotating meat stick and then mixed up with veggies and stuff. :D
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I just needed to make sure we are on the same page or wavelength, or even in the same universe ... I miss my doner kebab ...

The first time I tried a "kebab" in Beijing, it was at a train station and it was only 3 yuans ... I thought, great stuff, a big roll with meat and vege for 3 yuans ... but it turned out to be no more than a McBurger ...

Since then, I have doubt or concern about the local definition they gave to food items :)
  • Amalie Sæverud
    why needed to give ming a job anyway? i just can't wait to see this guy bold and naked haunting on the street!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Nikkie ... and we were just wondering where did you disappear to this morning ... how are you today? What did Ming do to you?

Hey Ming, that gave me an idea ... you can paint advertisement on yourself, then run around town naked ... it might be illegal, but think about the commotion ... that should bring about lots of attention ...
  • Amalie Sæverud
    uncle, it's " we " all or just "you " miss me?
    and i'm Moody, not Nikke! who is Nikkie?
    I just took a short tour into the "NormalLander"! And i'm back!

And Ming hasn't done anything to me, not a signle one!! Not even a PMs, haha!
    That's why i wonder how he looks .....
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @叮噹叔叔
    So you lied to me man!!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

The to-be-unemployed Ming appeared at a fashion show yesterday ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

COOL ... how so?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Nikkie, baby, this is my real picture, no photoshopping, no camera effects whatsoever!

You want to see me unemployed because that's the only way you think you get to see me naked? Or are you just mad that I don't use this website to hit on you? Don't be jealous, I only hit on Jon on this website, except the one time I felt it necessary to comment on Virgo's sexy photos.

Oh yeah, and Yuki, but how can I not be in love with a girl who likes bald bearded men? (Actually I haven't had a beard for a while, so I think Yuki is losing interest in me)

Anyway, there are other ways to see me naked... I assume my gf takes pictures of me while I'm sleeping so that she can use them to blackmail me later. You could probably get them from her :-D
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Ming ... your real name is Edison?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @叮噹叔叔
    That Nikkiebaby was Moody. Nikkie is so sweet and passionate. At least the one i know who usually posts here. She is a lady and greatly purer than the waters from the glaciers of the Himalayas.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... keep going like that, you will need to marry her too ... but yesterday, I thought you are going to marry Sparky?
  • Amalie Sæverud
    @uncle, i think Ming means that little kid using diaper!

@Cool, i don't know what are you talking about, but this Nikkie seems boring and unreal, how can someone sweet survive on this forum!??? and you successfully made me creepy again! pure, glaciers of himalayas? what did you drink today?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... yeah ... COOL .. what have you been drinking? or what have you been NOT drinking?

Ming? diaper? I dont comprehend ... Moody/Nikkie ... care to explain?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hardly, just a few tins of Guinness. only 9 by now. You seen to hate Nikkiebaby Miss Moody. Why, what did she do? I devote this poem to her.

NIKKIEBABY
    She has the whole beauty of the world to herself
    Making all man kind an envy to itself
    So blend a beauty with puritan marble
    That makes men bend more than double
    Her eyes a sparling light
    That shines the night bright
    My soul to thee i give
    So my life i my live.
    COOL
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    DD, to be honest, that guy actually has less body fat and more hair than I do. I look more like this. /a>
  • Amalie Sæverud
    @ Uncle, just click Ming's profile, (althoug i know you never check out for guys) , and you will see that dancing , lovely, diaper kid! I don't think he claimed your post of modal is him. He don't dare to , who will believe that anyway!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that's so not true ... I only check those not as handsome as me, so, yeah, I had checked Ming's ... and Jon Gu ... etc etc etc ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Oh yeah, I am also much whiter than the model guy ^^ However, I may have been exaggerating slightly with the picture of the fat Tom Cruise.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Ming ... your real name is Tom, last name is Cruise? and that's your special effect photo from "Tropic Thunder"?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    No DD, I just look very similar to Tom Cruise after his makeup
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that was a good movie though ...
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    It certainly was not, but it was a good acting job on behalf of my alter-ego. I didn't realize it was him till they rolled the credits.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... he was certainly a surprise :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.