Discussion » Beauty & Fashion » Aussie code discourages ultra-skinny fashion model

• Victoria Falls
    Victoria Falls wrote:
    Australia has moved to ban ultra-skinny models from catwalks and magazines under a new code of conduct announced yesterday.Australian Federal Youth Minister Kate Ellis announced the move in Sydney in a bid to help reinforce positive body images for young Australians.

The initiative encourages those in the fashion and beauty industries to refrain from using super-thin models on the catwalk and digitally-enhancing images in magazines to make models appear even skinnier.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Its about time someone did something. Way to go Kate Ellis! Bringing back the B's in beautiful.

I just do not see why people think that skeletons walking around with skin stretched over them looks good. Get some healthy naturally beautiful models to show the fashions. They do not all need to be the same shape and size. Beauty does not only come in one shape, size, color, physical arrangement, etc.... symmetry counts, but you can be symmetrical without being tall and freakishly skinny.

Please help the fashion industry. Feed a model today @_@

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    this old story? fuck that! oh, all the models are so skinny they make me feel fat bullshit. next we'll have governments answering the complaints of the short girls, oh they're all so tall, it's not fair. This initiative would never hold up in the US, and shouldn't in australia. it's called freedom of expression. if karl lagerfeld is paying the bills, and he doesn't want a fatass lumbering down the catwalk in couture, that's his call, not some fat ass politician on some advocacy group's bankroll. it's called freedom, people. if i like the skin stretched-over-the-skeleton look, and there's a girl with the skin-stretched- over-her-skeleton look in the lineup and it's my fucking show, i have the right to choose her, period. and news flash, some people are just skinny, naturally, and there's no fashion industry conspiracy to explain that.

now sure, a lot of these super-skinny chicks simply don't look good (to me) but again, it's not my show, and if it was, i wouldn't want a government looking over my shoulder telling me which models to pick. it sets a bad precedent for any creative industry.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Dont mind me ... Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi ... carry on :)
  • Christian Jacques, Photography
    Agree with Victoria and the Australia decision ! Countries like Spain, Italy, Brazil and India have taken steps to keep underweight models off their catwalks.. some twisted designers are making clothes for women thinner and thinner... With this limitation, their collection will not be presented in those countries and it should be some kind of incentive to bea more reasonable...
    Besides for photographers, skinny models are not that sexy to look at ! Ha ha :-)
    we need curves and sexy look !
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

柯南: I hear ya man. However, things such as public image in the media has effects no matter who's show it is. There is no way to force them to stop having skinny ass models, but we could tell them to fuck off and just not use their modeling agencies or boycott their shows until they get the message.

I agree that it would not be good to make laws that absolutely curbs their right to be skinny and/or use skinny models. However, there is nothing natural or healthy about being skeleton skinny and taking drugs to stay that skinny and then still having your ugly picture airbrushed to fix the imperfections that you perceive yourself to still possess regardless of how skinny you are.

I worked in the industry and have model friends and producers of runway shows. I know what they do and how they do it. The industry standards should be made more healthy for the models and for society. If it takes a push with laws or suggestions from the authorities then so be it.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    I hate to say it, but I sort of agree with 柯南 on this one. This isn't something the government should be involved with. It's up to civil society to handle these kinds of problems.

I agree entirely with the purpose and morality of this Australian law (code of conduct?), and I wish the fashion industry were different and that girls didn't have to deal with this shit and that there wasn't so much pressure to be thin...but frankly it's just not the government's job to get involved. Call me an overly libertarian American if you want, but I think the Aussie government is being paternalistic and overbearing and it reminds me of something the Chinese government would do.

Fashion magazines and designers have a right to make money and give the people what they want. If this is what sells, then so be it. Blame the consumers, not the producers. If you want a change, convince the viewers and buyers to change.
  • Børge Notkevich
    Go us Aussies, we love everything "real", just as we are in person.

The government does have to be involved a when the law is written, governments are always the ones who makes huge deals out of little things. This matter definitely should be made into a huge deal, to get people to notice, to chance.
    It's been many years the modeling industry in Australia does not use girls who are "ultra skinny", but now it's known to the world.
    Eat up ladies, be health already!
  • Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:
    The media has a freakishly strong hold over people. it's subconscious, it shapes the way you view the world and yourself without you even realising it, or to some extent being able to control it. billboard advertising, commercials etc are thrust at you, it is nearly impossible to avoid them, so i think this is something that the government can put some restriction on.

and it's almost a kind of racism anyway, and the government can outlaw that right ?
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    Evan, you don't need to make 15 apologies and 'sort of's and 'i hate to's because you believe in artistic freedom. i know you're afraid of offending the ladies and everything, but come on, dude, it's the internet, you can untuck.
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    no, lain, i think it would be called skinnyism, and yes, that idea is as ridiculous as it sounds.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.