Discussion » Health & Fitness » Quit Smoking? How do?

• 袜子
    袜子 wrote:
    I wake up every day, cough up my lungs and reach for my cigarettes. This must end.

Anyone successfully managed to quit over here? Between the low cigarette prices, smoking-friendly culture and the circle of friends that I run in, I have a feeling this is going to be very difficult. Any advice, tips or suggestions are warmly welcomed.

I knew a guy back in the States - smoked for about 30 years, went on some kind of medication (I forget the name) and hasn't smoked a single cigarette since. I'm not really familiar with the situation here re: obtaining foreign medications - do you think I could track down this "quit smoking" medication here?
  • Daniel Westerberg
    lol, I quit smoking about 3 times :P always ends up starting again, it's just too many people smoking here..
    But you can smoke low tar level Zhong Nan Hai (no.3) and buy the extra filters in the tobacoo shops, that way you probobly get 1 extra year too live :P but anyhow, who cares, 20 years from now when my lungs are filled with cancer, I just get a new pair at the alien hosptial :D
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Was the "medication" called reefer?
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    I just managed starting, don't ask me!
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Find a girl who's STRONGLY against smoking to fall in love with.

One of my friends tried that and succeeded.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "Was the "medication" called reefer?"

Haha. Nah, it was prescribed by a doctor - wait, you can get medicinal marijuana in Michigan now :-p I've already tried this particular therapy, doesn't work for me.

"Find a girl who's STRONGLY against smoking to fall in love with."

My girlfriend smokes. She just has one every once in awhile, but still. She obviously doesn't care that I smoke, and so there's no incentive there for me to quit as far as she's concerned. Although I'm sure she would appreciate it to some degree, other than not being able to bum cigarettes off me anymore.
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    reasons can not defeat feelings, only other feeling can defeat other feeling,
    so, like the Paulov´s dog, you should play a little with the operant conditioning,
    associated -smoke- with something disgusting or pain for you,
    for example- when you smoke watch ¨ 2 girls 1 cup¨,
    when you smoke, watch images of cancer-lung,
    when you begin to feel desires of smoke, punch your balls,
    things like this hahaha
  • THIS IS A BIG IMAGE
    I've been trying to start - can someone give me some tips??
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    The antidepressant Wellbutrin is marketed as a stop-smoking aid called Zyban. It's a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, so basically it means you just won't get a buzz from smoking, but since it blocks reuptake I think most of the withdrawal symptoms are mitigated.

Plus it doesn't make you sleepy, diminish your sex drive, or give you anorgasmia, unlike Zoloft and SSRIs. Actually, I remember it having the opposite effect.

There's some other drug that my dad took, but I don't know if it totally worked or not.
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    @Ryan.

I once experienced difficulty starting smoking after a nearly 4 year hiatus. I failed as long as I attempted to smoke the brand i was smoking when i quit (parliament lights), but then someone accidentally offered me the brand i smoked when i FIRST started (marlboro lights) and it's been pure lung assault ever since (xhongnanhai8).

Good luck.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "...a stop-smoking aid called Zyban."

Yup, that's what my friend back in the States was taking. Any idea if that's available over here? Probably at one of the Western hospitals or something?
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    @Mike,
    If not, Russia's next door, bro.
  • MPA茉茉
    MPA茉茉 wrote:
    successfully did it!!!! just try ur best avoid cigar at very beginin especilly when u sitting with ur friends who is smokin and pushin you~~~after that,you will get used to it~~~~and writen a seriously punishment to yourself if u start again~or find some one who can offer something u want for helpin u ~for example: you can have ur dream gurl kiss if u didnt smoke in 2 years~gud luck!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Don't use medications to quit -- just go cold turkey.

I've "quit" twice in China (I've obviously started again, so I suppose my insights may be invalid) and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be -- at least the initial step of kicking the physical addiction wasn't that difficult.

Quitting is a bitch and you've just got to clench your teeth and bear it.

Medication, hypnosis and other "treatments" simply displace your addiction and don't hit at the root of the problem.

Chew on toothpicks or gum to sate the oral fixation and stay away from alcohol. Remove all ashtrays and lighters from your home or office and give your entire flat a cleaning.

Stay home if possible for a few days under you've got it under control. Avoid places that you strongly-identify with smoking, like favorite haunts or friends' houses.

The hard part comes after the nicotine leaves your body and you're left with the psychological addiction: the postprandial smoke, the after-work smoke... the sitting-at-the-computer smoke.

Create a list of reasons why you decided to quit and refer to them often to reaffirm your willpower. It also doesn't hurt to make a pledge to your buddies ("If you see me smoking, punch me in the face.")

If they are true friends, they'll oblige and keep you grounded.
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    Move to norway. A pack of cigarettes there will cost you like 70 rmb and in the winter you have to stand outside in 25 minus degrees to smoke cause it's illegal to smoke inside ;-)
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Switch to cigars and save your lungs. You don't inhale the smoke from cigars. Just take it in your mouth, swirl it around a bit, and blow it out...

Sure it will give you mouth and throat cancer but......
  • Simen Wangberg
    "Sure it will give you mouth and throat cancer but......"

Jon, sometimes I think the advice you disperse is specifically designed to make peoples' situations worse. (That rhymed, lawlz)

re: the birth control thread - "Or you can just kick her in the babymaker whenever you are finished having sex each time..."

:-D
  • Keera Lee Farrington
    yo mike

I believe the most difficult thing when quiting is thta after getting over the physical dependency, people get complecent and will have a fag one here and one there, and my housemate told me :" if you are quitting love u cant just smoke when u feel like it you have to be strong!" i know it sounds so obvious bascially no matter how had it gets you just cant light one up, its the hardest thing ever, but once u have quit it's like u have gainded a new found self-respect, lol
    plus i think in the west smoking is kinda frowned upon now, and smokers are on the same social ladder as a page three model lol

even after a few years u still have urges cos its so easy and accessible so yah it will take a while but you can get there :)
    ps iv tried many times but im gonna give up for good after my holiday!!!
  • Simen Wangberg

"My trick, chain smoke (i mean literally one after the other) until you feel ridiculously sick."

I've heard of this one before. Sounds disgustingly effective. I think I'll pass though...we'll see.

• Amber
    Amber wrote:

what? still smoking?are u coming from stone ago?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I'll soon be unemployed. You can hire me to follow you around and kick you in the head whenever you try to light up. I have a rediculously good roundhouse, and I guarantee* that you will not smoke while I am under your employment. You may develop other complications though...

*or your money back!

• Simen Wangberg

"You can hire me to follow you around and kick you in the head whenever you try to light up."

It might have to come down to something like that, actually. As soon as I run out, I go out and buy more. I seem to have absolutely zero willpower. Too many things in my life are associated with smoking - it's making it pretty hard to quit.

• Simen Wangberg

I've had exactly one cigarette since waking up three hours ago. This is huge for me. I'm GONNA DO IT GRAAAHHHHH HULK SMASH

Unfortunately, the sheer level of retardation in the "so hot, what do" thread is making me crave a cig SO BAD. Goddamn it people.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

That thread made me prejudiced against stupid people. I'm going to take up smoking so you can kick me in the head and help me forget.

• Simen Wangberg

"...kick me in the head and help me forget."

Honestly, I don't think any amount of cranial damage will erase the memory of the raw, unfiltered idiocy seeping out of every pore of that thread. I've been shaking my head in disgust and dismay for so long that I think I might need to see a chiropractor.

• Ivy
    Ivy wrote:

quit smoking is an easy thing, so i do it everyday...

• Tonje Dahl
    Tonje Dahl wrote:
    dont worry about it too much .the more u care .ur forcus will always on smoking . wehn i wanna smoke just for boring or anxious .so find somthing else to distraction. if u gonna have a baby .u must stop it more than half the year ~and some reacher said .just smoke the front half of the cigarret.and after one finished give some time to relax .it is better to choose the cigarret with white bottom ..it will make sense
  • Petter Meisfjordskar

They say smoking is bad for your health especially the LUNGS. Just tell, how useful is it to die with a normal LUNG anyway? Enjoy your smoke dude.

• Petter Meisfjordskar

Hahaha Cigers with white bottoms? I like this Kitz.

• Tonje Dahl
    Tonje Dahl wrote:
    i dont know how to say .in china we call it 烧烟。i must made some stupid jokes
  • Monica Jakobsen

well before you quit smoking you must learn to hate it. theres a military way you can try. is to soak up ten cigs and let it rot for about ten days, drink the nasty water and u will hate it for life>.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.