Discussion » Nonsense » This is what's wrong with America...

• Jon Gu - 顾晓帆
    Jon Gu - 顾晓帆 wrote:
    I sold a car to a guy who used to work for my family. The guy has been unemployed for over a year now and the only reason he had any money at all was because someone else happened to hit his vehicle and he got a nice insurance payment for it.

So he asks to buy my car. We agree on a price... and then the idiocy begins:

First, he can't get the money because the insurance company gave him a check and he doesn't have a bank account. He tries to get it cashed at a bank but they won't do it unless he opens an account. So I think in the end he had to take it to a check cashing place and pay a ridiculous fee to get his money.

Next: he gets the car, we sign the papers and I think everything is fine... until he calls me up and says that he can't afford to pay to register the vehicle and pay sales tax on it. He wants me to print him a fake receipt saying I sold him the car for $100 instead of $4000 so that he doesn't have to pay tax. I told him fuck it, I'll just help him eat the cost of tax, it's not that big a deal anyways.

The next day I get a call again. He can't drive the car because he doesn't even have a valid drivers license. He can't afford to get a license because he has outstanding warrants for unpaid tickets. Now he can't afford to pay for a license to drive the car.

Today, I get a call again. He says that he needs to get the money back for the car because he just can't drive and can't even afford gas money. He wants me to buy the car back (umm, go fuck yourself, thank you very much) and I told him no, just try to sell it yourself. He says he doesn't even have internet access because he can't afford it and can't afford to take out a classified ad anywhere either... So in the end I offered to help list it on free classifieds for him and just have people call him to deal with it, just to try to be nice.

Seriously... what the fuck is wrong with people? How can you be so stupid to spend literally every penny you have to buy a car and not even leave enough money for 1) Gas, 2) Title and plates, 3) a fucking drivers license, and 4) Internet? The only reason he even has food and shelter is because his parents took him back. He's my age at 27 and has a daughter, but spent every penny he had buying a car he can't remotely afford to have and now he's gonna take a big hit trying to sell it again. Fucking morons, goddamnit....
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

It does look like you have met the wrong "crowd" ... the lesson to be learnt here, there is no point to be nice to idiots ... damn, that means me?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    This is going to bite me in the ass for sure and cost me more money somehow (I'm afraid he's going to break into our house or shop and steal something because when he worked for us, a laptop or two went missing). Anything that costs me money is clearly bad because it means less that can be funneled into the DingDang fundraiser effort.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    HE HAS A DAUGHTER?!! WTF...What a poor kid...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Get this... when he was working for us, he at one point demanded a 75% pay increase or he would quit. So yeah... he quit of course because who the hell is going to give you 75% in a day? He comes back and he's all bragging about how he is making 3x as much as he used to working for us, and of course we are happy for him.

A week later, he comes back to beg for his old job back because he isn't making a penny anymore and can't afford his own debts. WTF?? Of course we aren't going to hire his flaky unstable ass, so ever since then he hasn't been able to find a job anywhere else. I think the guy is on drugs or something but where would he get the money for that?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

And, again, this should teach you not to hang out with the wrong crowd :)
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Damn...I think you should begin to evaluate whether the guy got a criminal mind, and keep an eye on him...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Hang out with the wrong crowd? He was an employee, not a friend. Actually he was technically pretty smart, knew a lot about computers. If he wasn't so messed up he might have been a decent IT Networks guy or something...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I misunderstood that he was your friend ... my mistake ...

• Joakim Berg Solum
    As far as I can tell, the serious inability to save money and incredible debt riddled spending habits is a pretty American phenomenon. Of course there are idiots everywhere but other countries tend to place value on saving money and stuff.

I'm guilty of being a blatantly ridiculous spender too when I raced motorcycles but not to the point where I exhaust every penny on something that I can't even use...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

For this ... I recomment the little book "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Samuel Clason ... it is not as involved as the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" series, just a simple straightforward way about financial management :)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Dude, risk management. This ain't what's wrong with America -- this is what happens when you get involved with undesirables.

Just stay away from people like this.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I've always known that he was kind of a moron but I had no idea how deep that until he started coming to me with problems in the $10's of dollars for a several thousand dollar car he bought from me.

It's not the first time though, a couple of years ago he bought another car from me (I tend to go through a lot of vehicles...) and there were no issues, but he did have an income at the time. It's the same car that was totaled, giving him the money to buy the other car I put up for sale recently.

If I had a clue that he had would have this many problems simultaneously after buying the car, I would have strongly reconsidered selling it to him. But you know... when you do a transaction like this you just don't think that the guy would become so decrepit afterward that he can't even pay to register the car!

His dad tried to talk me into letting him "return" the car because he claimed that his boy was mentally unstable and didn't know he was buying the car.... yet 2 days earlier, his dad was the one who picked up the damned title. Sorry, but you can't return a car after the title is signed over to you! Jesus... can't believe how much headache and phone time I've spent on this the last week and it's driving me insane.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Apologies for the ranty nature of this thread.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Hahahah... we americans are so cute.....
    It's best not to do any kind of business with people who you know... ahem... know to be bloody morons.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I abide by the Psycho Principle, which always works for me:

Assume everyone is a Psycho until you get to know them better. Practice good risk management skills and avoid a financial, emotional and physical relationship with said person until they prove that they are not a Psycho.
  • Børge Notkevich
    Jon Jon, u were way too nice.
    This guy was probably excited to be getting his first car.
    It's like the lady at work she bought a puppy but after half a day of taking the puppy home realised she don't have any dog food or anything else except for the "naked puppy".
  • StrawberryIceCream
    hahaha, it is an hilarious story, is the guy in china or not?
  • StrawberryIceCream
    ok. I see.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Met with this guy again to help him with a repair (something was wrong that I did not know about so I'm fixing it for him for free of course, but that was my fault for not checking it more thorougly)

At the same time I was throwing away a bunch of old computer equipment and since he works with computers too, I thought I could help him out and he might want some of it ot sell and offered to give them to him if he helped me unload it.

You know what the little bastard said? "Oh no man, I wasn't expecting to do any lifting or work... look at this, brand new shoes and clothes dude"

What the fuck?? Last week he was telling me he couldn't even pay to register the car or pay for gas and now he's decked out with new clothes (clearly not cheap stuff either from what I could tell) and doesn't want to get his hands dirty?

I know the guy is destitute too and has no income and is just spending the last pennies of his insurance money... he feels more free to do it now that he decided he's going to sell the car (that he bought from me like 2 weeks ago).

I'm totally brainfucked now. Don't know how to even react to this.
  • Daniel Westerberg
    Acctually that is just not Americe :P I know of a friends friend who live like that :P
    Listen to this, he works overtime everyday so he gets a fairly decent income, but he spends every penny, he max out his credit cards every month and buys stuff on "invoice" (buying on invoice in Sweden = you pay 10~30 days later) so at the end of every month he pays his bills and have like 100 SEK (about 100 RMB) left. then from time to time he bought more stuff than he could pay so he had to borrow money from over priced "no security needed" loan companies. So the bad spiral starts here, he needed to borrow more money from these companies every month to pay for the previous months loans :D
    in the end he was missing about 1000 or 2000 SEK every month and had loans totaling well over 30 000 sek. So his father steps in and pays everything when he got married (nice wedding gift).
    now, everything is clean on his financial record and he get new credit everywhere without any hassle, so the first thing he does is ofcourse to go shopping for new furniture :D his cat obviously needed a new playfurniture for 10 000 and a new sofa is a must.. well do I need to say that 6 months after all his debts was cleaned, he was back in the shit again having to borrow money from "no security needed" loan companies to pay his bills at the end of the month? lolz some people just never learns.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    .......... Is he American? hahahaha
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Saving 10% of the pay check ... as the salary to yourself, then roll it into an amount so that it can be invested into something safe and long term ... is it really that difficult?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Saving 10% is probably pretty difficult if you earn under 4000rmb (many local Chinese people, doesn't apply so much to foreigners since even shitty English teaching jobs are like at least 6000rmb w/ housing I think) and have to pay for rent. That's at least 2000rmb for rent and utilities, and at least 1000 more for groceries and transportation. With 1000 left, you could save all of it I suppose for a very spartan lifestyle but most people would probably want to buy at least something amusing or go eat out every once in a while.

If you make more than 10,000rmb a month I think it should be relatively easy to save at least 15-20% of your money. 10% is too low for anyone who makes even a semi-decent wage.
  • Daniel Westerberg
    nah it's not, Chinese don't buy groceries like we westerners do.
    We are currently 3 grownups and 1 child living in our appartment, groceries is about 1500 rmb / month (we live close to one of those farm markets = cheap cheap cheap)

I think most chinese with low income either 1. live at home with their parents or 2 split a room with a friend or two, so they spend probobly 1000 per month on "living".
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

One thing I cannot understand ... "migrant workers" (i.e. labourers that we often see at the construction sites) are making around 1k per month, with "housing" (or dormitory), and they can manage to save some money to send home ...

... whereas a lot of people (single, between 20 and 30) are making 4k or 5k per month and yet can hardly save any money ... by the way, I have not considered those "ant tribe" for the moment ...

If there is a will, there is a way ... right? Or did I miss anything?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.