Discussion » Employment Opportunities » Rent a white guy

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I'm just passing this on for a friend, so don't get mad at me for the racist craphole that is China.
    I have a two-day "work" opportunity for an American male or female with a "western face". You know, an "acting job". For those who don't know what that means, read this

Description: "We need a foreigner to sit here for a meeting then a dinner and lunch. We may help correct some English document as well.

Time: This Thursday 2010.6.24, 12:00 to 18:00, and Friday, 9:00 to 12:00

Location: CBD, Chaowai SOHO and surrounding area. (Note that Chaowai SOHO is not Jianwai SOHO)

Pay: 1000 RMB

You don't have to speak Chinese. The three guys from the company you're pretending to work for speak good-excellent English, your job is to make them look like they're not a Chinese company.
    You might not even have to drink Baijiu.

PM me if interested.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    It's a cheating job. I wonder what kind of foreigners would like to take this job!
  • Kristine Marie Heimstad
    How is this a cheating job? This is quite a popular advertisement here in Beijing. I see shitty advertisements like this ALL THE TIME. Don't get me wrong, I think its bs, but hey, if the color of ur skin is wat makes u marketable to a relatively superficial and shallow-minded section of society...by all means, take advantage of it LMFAO!!!
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Because you pretend you are one of employees of this company and also help this Chinese company to pretend that they are some kind of "international".

The truth is you are an "actor" and it's a purely Chinese company. And because of your "acting", you help this Chinese company to give a wrong impression to their customers which may let them make a wrong business deal.

That's why I call it a cheating job.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Can people make a living in a decent way? Both Chinese and foreigners?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I thought it was acting just like in films?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I think anyone who does not resemble a Chinese or in general Oriental will be fine ... anyone from Xin Jiang or Tibet?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria, the people who will take this job are the same ones who will take the job of "English teacher" but aren't actually English teachers.

As an English teacher, you cheat your poor students. In this job though, you cheat people who deserve to be cheated.

Actually, a large part of doing business in China is cheating people, so you can look at this as legitimate work if you want. :-p
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... WYSIWYG ... or rather WYSINWYG ... ??

This sounds so 50's or 60's, where they found someone to act like some experts in the field, speak a few words in English (or some mumble jumble), so that the "cheatee" would not understand, and the cheaters can scam their money :)

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    I think I should open www.rentawhiteguy.com.cn or something like that to match potential actors with interested companies!
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    No offence to my Chinese brothers and sisters, but the Chinese are absolute masters of misrepresentation. I don't even mean that it in a bad way. It's a talent. In Sept 2006 I was part of entourage that was paid 1000 kuai plus expenses to attend a wire mesh convention in Anping County, Hebei. The reason we were there was simply to make it look "international".

At least I got paid. The same month a bus load of foreign students was driven into Handan from Beijing and paraded around the city stadium during the opening ceremonies of the opening ceremonies of the 50th annual Tai Chi festival. I don't think they got paid for that. I know I didn't.

This isn't really bad a job, but I wouldn't do it for less than 2000.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    @Amy Lee:
    ಠ_ಠ

At precisely what moment in history did the Chinese import racism from the West?

There are some historical examples of imperialists introducing racist ideology to colonized peoples (Rwanda, for example). I don't think China is one of them.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    @Augustus: I've got ideas but I'm a lazy dude so ....
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    "As an English teacher, you cheat your poor students. In this job though, you cheat people who deserve to be cheated."

莫明, really? As an English teacher, you cheat your poor students? Is that what you think?

"You cheat people who deserve to be cheated."

Nobody deserves to be cheated! Not your friends, your partners, your customers, and even strangers. People trust you! People trust what you show them is not a false delusion. Maybe they are naive, maybe they are kind of stupid, maybe they are suckers, but that does not give anybody a right to cheat them.

"Actually, a large part of doing business in China is cheating people, so you can look at this as legitimate work if you want."

That's true. There are so many cheaters in China and I see how easily people (Chinese and foreigners) would convert to cheat other people using this shitty excuse.
  • Rebecca Arnesen
    chinese learned racism from the west? Are you retarded?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Amy,

Africans were told by the west for years that they were sub-human, but they managed not to "learn it".
    I don't think that the west has ever looked down on China or really considered it inferior, maybe just a political and economic rival. Certainly nothing to the extent of what they did to Africa. Still, it seems Chinese managed to "learn" that they are inferior to all westerners.

Anyway, thank you applicants, but the position has been filled. I look forward to reading about our token white guy's experience shortly.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I am quite curious too, Amy, at which particular point in time did our ancestors learn racism from the west? Qing? Ming? Yuan? Song? Tang? or earlier?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Racism Racism Racism, i like it because it keeps one side mysterious. I enjoy how i am turned away at times by the Chinese in different places because i am coal. It does not annoy me but amazes me how foolish some people still are.

As for the job, well if the potato is good, why not take it. There after you can repent when you have something in the armpit.
  • THIS IS A BIG IMAGE
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/rent-a-white-guy/8119
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria:
    "莫明, really? As an English teacher, you cheat your poor students? Is that what you think?"

What I meant here is as a fake English teacher. Someone who takes a job teaching English but does not have the qualifications of a teacher. The school takes 400 an hour and tells the student that they're learning from an accomplished professional with multiple degrees. What the student gets is someone who barely graduated high school and who's English has more technical mistakes than the average Qinghua students'.

"Nobody deserves to be cheated!..."

In my opinion, people who are going to look down on their own race and will work with a company because they see a white person there, despite the fact that this white person knows nothing about the industry, has no experience, and adds no value to the company, do in fact deserve to be cheated. Maybe they'll learn not to be racist buffoons that way.

"That's true. There are so many cheaters in China and I see how easily people (Chinese and foreigners) would convert to cheat other people using this shitty excuse. "

Well, you may be as critical of it as I am, but I guess you don't really disagree? It is necessary to lie and cheat in all aspects of business in China, unless you're actually working for a foreign company.
    If you have 3 years of work experience, and you put that on your resume, you'll lose the job to someone who had 1 year of work experience but wrote that they had 10 years. If it will take your company 3 months to deliver a product, and you tell the customer that, you'll lose the business to someone who says they can deliver it in 3 days and then lies for 6 months about why they haven't delivered yet.

I'm starting to learn multiple personalities as a way of coping.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    This seems like a good place to share my favorite quote:

“The religion of the Chinese today is cheating, deceit, blackmail, and theft, eating, drinking, whoring, gambling, and smoking… We think any honest, humble gentleman a fool and regard any good person who works hard and demands little in return as an idiot. Crooks are our sages; thieves and swindlers our supermen… There are no greater cynics than the Chinese people.”

- He Xin, 1988 (from New Ghosts, Old Dreams)
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    @Amy Lee,
    I see. That's not really racism, though. That's just prejudice. Real racism means believing that your ethnic group is genetically and/or culturally superior to another, and taking steps to make sure it remains that way.

While it's most certainly true that Chinese people and other East Asians have been the victims of racism in Western countries, it's quite disingenuous to suggest that racism was invented by Westerners. I doubt it was a white guy who told Zhuge Liang to subjugate the Nanman.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Pete, did "He Xin" mention who is the god of this religion?
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    莫明, Cheating is everywhere, in China and in other countries. Perhaps because you achieve more gain than loss when you do business using a deceit way in China, it seems that this phenomenon is much more serious compared to western countries.

In west, most companies and people have their credit record. If they tried to cheat, they would have difficulties to get the loan from the bank, to find potential customers to do business and the authority may even cancel their business license forever.

China still need time to build a credit society which needs everybody to contribute to it no matte government, organizations or individuals.

Maybe some Chinese people are racists, stupid, ignorant, but if you foreigners do LOVE China, find more decent ways to correct them, teach them, help them.

It's so easy to degrade our moral standards and we can always find excuse to forgive our misdoings. That's bad part of human nature. Maybe sometimes I am also one of those people, but I'm not proud of that for sure.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    the God of this Religion is Money
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria,
    "Cheating is everywhere, in China and in other countries. Perhaps because you achieve more gain than loss when you do business using a deceit way in China, it seems that this phenomenon is much more serious compared to western countries... "

I agree and if I accidentally implied that I thought China was the only country where people cheat others, I apologize. However, I think it is exactly for the reason that you mentioned that cheating is so prevalent here. You are better off in China when you cheat. In the US, only a select few confidence tricksters and those who are especially adept at it do better by cheating people.

Pete, that's a great quote.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    *takes notes*
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Amy,
    It's true that Chinese have certainly been discriminated against and taken advantage of by the US. However, the extent doesn't come close to the US' treatment of Africans, and I don't think it was necessarily racist in the case of Chinese.
    You said "they were seen as railway builders and inferior product makers". This is a factual statement of what they are and were in large numbers, not an indication of racism. It would be no different to say that the English are seen as tea drinkers, the Chinese are seen as computer programmers, and the Indians are seen as customer service reps. Neither railway workers not inferior product manufacturers are sub-human. Africans were actually seen to be less than people, but as far as I know they didn't end up thinking that whites are better than they are.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    I am so glad that none of people I know would think Chinese as the way He Xin did.
  • Joakim Madsen
    Joakim Madsen wrote:
    Keep Africa out of ya Bullshit Topic !!!!
    Africans never felt inferior to any Western motherfucker and they fought to show they were not ....
    You won't find billboards or advertisement with white people in Africa as a means lure the local market..
    Get focused on your stupidities and Let Africa where it is , you are in China and ya topic is about China !!
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I think the most proud people in the whole world are Africans. There is no school in Africa that will advertise to have American or British English taught, no company will look for a white to make adverts, and never did the Africans think that whites are superior. However bad they have been treated in many countries, they remain proud and strong. As we speak now, even here in China, the government is struggling to have Africa by its side because the west does not want China to be among the supper powers. Its only true support is in Africa. That explains why they are doing so many things there, even building roads and offering so many scholarships to Africans. Whenever i see a Chinese under looking an African i simply get amazed. But i do not blame them because it is only the top brass that know how important Africa is.

All in all, wherever an African is, i do not think he or she gives a damn about a white or Asian.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    The phrase to me sounds like someone wants to hire an item.
  • StrawberryIceCream
    1000RMB easy job, considerable pay
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria, you don't know me?

Actually, while I have this exact stereotype in my mind, I think it only applies to the older and poorer mainlanders who have been through some real terrible shit.
    All the younger people I know are much more idealistic and are no more prone to being stereotypically Chinese than the rest of us.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I'm not quite sure I understand 100%. I mean I get the idea that pretending to have a white person working for the company makes it seem more international but how does that help them?

Like... in what context does a temporary empty white suit help a Chinese company? I get why language schools hire foreigner teachers but what else? Clearly, foreigners look down on this sort of thing, and local Chinese companies know the score anyways so...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    What makes someone international? Can't a Chinese be international as well? Why do they sort of under look their worth, i mean the Chinese?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    He Xin's quote appeals to me because, well, it's completely accurate among old-timers, as 莫明 pointed out.

Having a.) traveled extensively around the country on both business and for pleasure; b.) acted as a consultant to numerous companies; c.) having older friends who run multi-million dollar enterprises; d.) being in business myself and e.) having met with dozens of government officials (and those resting in the gray area in-between) I'd like to think that I have a good grasp of how people here think.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    莫明, I do know you. I just don't think you believe in that stereotype:-)

And this stereotype could also applied to many early capitalist countries, such as US and UK.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Jon, I don't think local Chinese companies necessarily do know the score... They see a white person and presume that they must work for a multinational with a lot of money. It's a status symbol for them. You know how much Chinese love 1. Things that aren't Chinese (except food), and 2. Money.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    “You know how much Chinese love 1. Things that aren't Chinese (except food), and 2. Money. ”

莫明, you don't love things that aren't Chinese and money?:-)
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria, "And this stereotype could also applied to many early capitalist countries, such as US and UK."

That is absolutely true. There is nothing wrong with China (as compared to the rest of the world) that wouldn't be solved by a few generations of everyone here living a few generations in relative wealth and prosperity. Unfortunately, I have no idea when that's going to happen. Not in my lifetime, I think.

"you don't love things that aren't Chinese and money?:-)"
    "<"with a look of shame ">" you have a very good point. The only thing that differentiates me is that I no longer like Chinese food very much either.
    I prefer to think it's by coincidence that I like things which aren't Chinese, rather than for the reason of their non-Chineseness. And while I do love money, it is not my basis for evaluating another person's life (unless that person is a mainlander who lived all their life in China.) This was learned after being here for a few years, and I am not proud of it, just trying to be honest.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    "Unfortunately, I have no idea when that's going to happen. Not in my lifetime, I think"

Oh, come on, you talk like my dad, haha. You are not that old if your age showed in your profile is correct. Be optimistic to Chinese and China!:-)
  • Amalie Sæverud
    typical thing which i will do, not so typical is : instead to rent a white guy, i will rent a black guy, a brown guy, a yellow guy, an orange guy, a green guy and a blue guy! how can you be more international when you have a rainbow troop in your company! :) haha
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    In the cities I think within 20 years things will be caught up or will have surpassed the developed world. The villages however are probably 60 years behind at least, and I doubt the investment could be made to bring them into the modern world unless someone really cared to do it. It's an investment that doesn't pay off with money, so I don't see it being made by terrible terrible humans.
    Why should the age shown in my profile be any more accurate than the age shown in your profile?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

... because the police just raided 天上人间...?
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Nikkiebaby, you are the first one I know who has a liasion with aliens:-)

莫明, The central government has already tried to move some factories and corporations which originally located in Zhu Jiang delta and Yangzi delta into Mid and West of China (they are much poorer compared to east) by more favourable tax and land conditions and active support from local governments, which will creat plenty of job opportunities and fulfil local people's wealth dreams.

My age showed in my profile is very accurate. I just use a photo taken many years ago...
  • Amalie Sæverud
    well, anyway, i'd say in first, i wouldn't pay a penny for that! So i'm not cheating! Anyone interests then?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Ok, let me first take a Guinness sip. Will be back with a new comment.
  • Amalie Sæverud
    Thanks so much Lady Maria, a compliment from a lady is 1000 times sweeter than from guys!
    Well, so do you have time to take a coffee with me then? :P
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria, I believe what Astaroth meant to say with his very eloquent rhetorical question is something you are very aware of. Moving pollution to poorer areas with less developed infrastructure might provide jobs to uneducated laborers in those areas, but it is not equivalent to putting the country on a path that will overtake the developed world.
    While there are still polluting factories in China and people to work at them for under 5000 RMB per month, China will remain a developing (euphemism for disgusting) country.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    I read a recent article in China Daily newspaper while on the airplane to Hangzhou..... I headline read something like, "The Face of Business" and the writer of the article said, "China's businessmen still do not trust each other, so having a western face, preferably a white one, will give a company more credibility amid the competition."

In the future this will change.... I would sure hate to be the white guy that represented a company and then that company was actually a bad company cheating people, however this rarely happens... These companies are usually not trying to cheat anyone. They are merely trying to gain trust and do legitimate business with jittery clients or business partners. That is what article claims anyway.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    "Well, so do you have time to take a coffee with me then? :P "

Coffee? Nikkiebaby, are you another fake profile of Jon Gu? (My bad memory with him) If not, let's do this together -coffee, shopping, then coffee, shopping, then coffee shopping...until we are so exausted.:-)
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    莫明, that's so true. We move the capital, technology, management skills, job opportunities to the Mid and West of China as well as pollution.

But there is still one solution: We can move those polluted industries to more "developing countries ("euphemism for " more "disgusting" ) countries when we get stronger one day just like what western countries have been doing all the time.:-)
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I really wish someone had a better solution to increase living standards than by pushing poverty, pollution, and lower living standards onto other countries. China will have to find that solution, because there can't be enough consumption of non-sustainable products on the planet for 1x10^8 plus Chinese people to become affluent.

Observe below the most truncated version of political-economic theory ever.
    1. 100,000 Americans build factories in US, provide above-poverty wage to 100,000,000 American employees.
    2. All American factories closed and the work is sent to China. 100,000 factory builders already rich. 100,000,000 laid off employees get higher paying work designing, marketing, and selling the products that now come from China.
    3. 100,000 Chinese open factories in China and provide sub-poverty wage to 1,000,000,000 Chinese employees. The number of laborers at the bottom is 10x what it was for the same number of landlords, and lower living standards for laborers combined with higher living standards for landlords mean richer rich and poorer poor.
    4. All Chinese factories closed and work is sent to Vietnam, India, Cambodia, Laos, and dispersed throughout nations in Africa and the former Soviet Union. 100,000 factory builders obscenely rich. 1,000,000,000 Chinese workers who were previously on tub poverty wage have no education, no ability to finance education, and no marketable skills. There is no Chinese market for the products now being made in Africa and Southeast / Central Asia, because the wealth was too concentrated in the hands of too few people, and the former laborers cannot afford to buy anything other than rice and expensive cell phones.
    5. ????????
    6. Profit! China becomes an affluent nation where no one is hungry and the vast majority of the people become civilized, cultured, and develop traits such as honesty and decency towards other humans, because they are no longer worried about starving to death.

If no one figures out #5, stay tuned next week for my equally simplified and truncated restatement of what happened in 1949.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Thank you for your deep concern for China and Chinese! And hopefully "the vast majority of the people (Chinese) become civilized, cultured, and develop traits such as honesty and decency towards other humans," in near future as you wish.

Now we would like to thank you more if you could lobby your government and your people to stop consuming 35% resource of this fragile earth, offer generously more money and advanced technology to developing countries to help them curb the pollution. Please don't waste precious resource in any war to any place which shows hostility to your country and please show basic respect, understanding and decency towards other humans.

Thank you very much!
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria, I try very hard to lobby my governments, and I wish they would do those things, but I don't think it's going to happen any more than China is going to stop trying to live up to the "example" set by the US.

At least though, China is doing a great thing to reduce poverty by limiting the number of people born. I wish the rest of the world would take the example and follow suit. When the world population is half what it is now, maybe there will be plenty of resources to go around.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    莫明, I understand you as an America have the right to criticize pollution, energy-consuming problem of China. But to us, It’s more like a rich person to tell his poor neighbor: “Stop buy the cars! Stop using the cars! You are polluting the environment! You make the air I breathe is not clean.” But at the same time there are four big cars including two SUVs in this rich guy’s garage. Can you feel what I feel, 莫明?

Logically, you are not wrong. This earth can not afford Chinese and Indians to live a life like Americans, but emotionally people feel uncomfortable. Poor people want to ask rich people: “Why can you have such a wasted and affluent life, but I can’t?”

The followings are just some very simple facts which prove that China have been trying to do plentiful things as a responsible earth citizen.

The utility area of solar energy in China has already been Number One. The newly increased installed capacity of wind power in 2009 is also Number One, US and German behind.

The total distance of Shanghai Subway is Number Two in the world, and based on planning, Beijing will take Number One seat in 2015.

You could find so many statistics to show China has been striving to build an environmental-friendly country, not just one-child policy as you mentioned above.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria, as usual I agree completely.
    I do not think America, the most wasteful country on Earth (or is it UAE?) is in any position to criticize China. America should take the blame for a lot of Chinese pollution too. They ship their toxic garbage here for disposal; they send their product orders here to factories that they know would not meet any American pollution or labor standard. They refuse to make changes in environmental policy unless China matches them, and then blame China for not making those changes.
    I think if America gave a damn about the pollution problem in China, they should set targets and boycott Chinese products until China met those targets. Then the rest of the world (except maybe UAE) should boycott American business until America halved its consumption.

'Poor people want to ask rich people: “Why can you have such a wasted and affluent life, but I can’t?” ' This is an unfair question. It should be a statement: "You can't have such a wasteful and affluent life, and I can't either."

I'm guessing you've lived in the US? You know that America made some very fundamental mistakes in its development, and they are not easily corrected. We have negligible rail infrastructure there. Most people live in the suburbs of the city, and population centers are not dense enough to build mass transit systems. There is no way to get around that country without driving, unless you live in New York City. Basically every adult has a car by necessity, and there are no shortage of idiots who have a couple SUVs in their garage along with their regular driving cars.

There's no question that the US needs to change, but it will be much more difficult and costly to improve the situation there than in a place like China where communities were not build around the existence of private cars and the government already has the funds to make the changes (yes I know it's the US' own damn fault that it has a deficit). I suspect in the US the solution will take the form of electric cars powered by solar, wind, geothermal, and hydropower, rather than mass transportation, at least in the interim.
    Public transportation is decent in Beijing compared to anywhere in the US, but there are still idiots driving their SUVs around. Here though, they actually use all three of their cars instead of keeping two in the garage, so that they can get around that 1 day a week when they're not allowed to drive.
    I'm critical of people here because there's no excuse for the behavior. If all roads were limited to one lane for private cars and all other lanes were for public transportation only, everyone would still be able to get around just fine, and I guess it would clear 1 million cars from the streets of Beijing, because these idiots would start taking the buses by the time it took 4 hours to get to work by driving.

Absolutely China is doing some great things to reduce pollution, but comparing it to the US is like comparing yourself to a mentally retarded pig and saying "look, I'm smarter than he is, so why should I try harder?"

What were we talking about again?

Pete, I'm expecting you to somehow turn this experience into an interesting article.
  • Undermoonlight
    You guys' extraordinary eloquence dazzled me~~Wow!!! China's hope!!?? hahahahaha~~Ok, I'd better fuck off, and...Solemnly swear to be nice again~~
  • Annie Ann
    Annie Ann wrote:
    It's so pathetic, why don't you just grab someone on the street? I can't believe that there's someone would do it. If you are the customer of that 'company', how would you feel?
  • Minnie Hu Yang
    had my share of laughters... cheers!
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Damn guys!!! Now you are speaking my language!!! I agree 莫明 and

Does Africa Know A Song Of Me - Maria.

Well said and I love hearing the truth especially when it needs to be yelled with fists of passion waving through the air and angry peaceful people are forced to act instead of merely stand by and watch as everyone is raped by the long dicked ideology of a few power elite .....

"Keep clawing and struggling for a piece of our pie, keep killing your neighbors and eating your children.... it will only make you stronger and you can win all these cool prizes in the process, so you can confide in yourself and the treasure you have collected when you need a rest from the game. It will only lead to us fucking you harder and harder until we squeeze every drip of humanity out of the entire fucking globe! This is the game..... here are the rules.... We (elite) win... Compete!!!!"
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Article coming. Everyone wins!
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    "Basically every adult has a car by necessity, and there are no shortage of idiots who have a couple SUVs in their garage along with their regular driving cars."

Ahem at one point I had: one V6 SUV, one V8 pick up truck, and an old Mustang V8 convertible. None of which get above 18mpg. Plus a 16 foot trailer which effectively drops my mileage down to 8-9mpg if it's not windy, and 4 motorcycles, none of which have catalytic converters. Oh yeah baby! Fuck the environment, I die young!

OTOH, I have no plans to buy a car in Beijing. I only enjoy driving on highways and in suburbs because I never have to worry about parking. Searching for or paying for parking is probably in the top 3 of things that annoy me the most. It's cheaper to just get around by subway and taxi and I actually kind of enjoy it that way.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Hahaha, thanks Jon. At least it's a Chinese guy representing the worst of our American ideals so we won't get too many attacks based in nationalism.
    Stupid people come from everywhere! :-D
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    HAHA nice you guys! I drive a 4 cylinder haha, but it is upgraded and gets mileage like a V8. I guess I am part of the problem. At least it is a 4 banger though hehe
  • Jenelyn Tambago
    1000 for 9 hours? thats the best job ever!!
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Jon, Your plans not to buy a car in Beijing is absolutely correct. The municipal government subsidizes lots of money to public transportation every year, so that most people could afford and are willing to use it. I think the price of bus and subway ticket is the cheapest among all metropolis in China as far as I know.

It's much more convenient to travel around the downtown using public transport insteand of private cars. Save time, hassle and money.

Oh, BTW, and I'm glad you still have your American Identity so you won't get too many attacks based on hegemonism:-)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @Zhaohong
    Is it you in the caption below in the garden?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Zhaohong, I'm curious if anyone's actually done research on it. I just know my companies like to give me lots of extra face time with the clients.

I would have to argue that having westerners have value if your company is actually dealing with western clients, because we actually understand their business expectations, and mostly the westerners who travel can speak English much better than the Chinese that work in international companies.

But Chinese companies like the one that put out this job like to use westerners to deal with other Chinese companies, and that doesn't make a lot of logical sense.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... "show", the word must have been created by Chinese ... Amy, can you check that please?

I was impressed with the "no smoking" ban across BJ prior to Olympics, it's a shame that it did not last ...

I wonder if they are doing better at teh Expo :)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    莫明
    That's what I initially found confusing: Why would a domestic firm need to impress a SOE with foreign talent?

I haven't pondered it enough to reach a definitive conclusion, but I think it is to assure the client that they are professional and international enough to run a multinational work environment. Having a multinational team also indicates that the company can draw upon their unique experiences to better handle a project should the need arise.

To previous posters who decried it as racist -- it's not. It's an issue of nationality rather than skin color.

Another point:

While it's easy to use examples like this as evidence that China still has a long ways to go when it comes to so-called honesty in business dealings, I think it's a sign of maturity: All parties involved admit that a bit of foreign help is required as a safeguard for quality control and to ensure the top-notch implementation that may not happen with a team of all-locals.

That never would have happened in the past: they'd have gone at it alone, hell or high water, with heavy servings of self-empowering propaganda.

In terms of company misrepresentation, if the firm usually has a multinational team but doesn't have any at the moment, I believe that it's perfectly acceptable. However, if they have no history of collaborating with foreign nationals and have no plans to do so in the future, that misrepresentation will undoubtedly hurt the planned project.

The above are just my initial opinions. Feel free to lash back and tell me how misguided I am, but remember, I just returned from this "Ringer Project" -- in all likelihood, you didn't -- and I did so to further understand this phenomenon.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    And when I mean, "in all likelihood, you didn't," I'm not referring to anyone in particular -- just those who don't understand the practice, choosing to issue armchair opinions instead of field research.
  • Tommy Svane
    Tommy Svane wrote:
    that is why most of my clients say Chinese are cheaters and difficult to trust me too, so upset that Cheating is part of Chinese culture, so funny!!! if you do need a white face to help you, do it secretly, do not make Chinese Humiliated here,that sucks!!!
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    “But Chinese companies like the one that put out this job like to use westerners to deal with other Chinese companies, and that doesn't make a lot of logical sense.”

Yes, agree with you, 莫明. This is very absurd. I think it’s like Zhaohong said, it’s a "worship things foreign". It’s so pathetic to hire those foreigners to act like clowns.

Probably when they have more confidence about their employees, products, management skills, custom service, this kind of phenomenon will disappear one day.
  • Amalie Sæverud
    Maria, of course i'm not another fake id from Jon, unless that will make me less interested to you :P well, hope we can be exhausted together in the near future!
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Nikkie, baby, Maria is actually one of my fake id's. That's why I'm able to have such a long discussion with myself without disagreeing on anything.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Nikkiebaby, actually 莫明 is another fake ID of Jon Gu. That's why I'm able to have such a long abnormal flirt with him:-)

"well, hope we can be exhausted together in the near future! "

Well, I see we have so much in common, hahaha!
  • Amalie Sæverud
    guess someone's ass will be kicked, never expected so soon , hahaha!how does it feel then Ming?

Well, great Maria! so when and where? or you expect private messages so it won't be interrupted by irrelevant people :P
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Dear Nikkie, just sent you PM. Hope you don't mind the language I used in it.:-)
  • Amalie Sæverud
    never mind, it's so hot! :) hahahaha
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    "well, hope we can be exhausted together in the near future! "

That's it Jon, with your obvious sexual overture, you've slipped up and it's obvious that Nikkie's you. And well, you already know Maria's me, so did we just schedule a date with eachother? I thought you didn't want to meet me because you were afraid of getting sodomized? It's ok Jon, I'm scared too.
  • Amalie Sæverud
    kick,! kick! kick! kick! kick! kick! kick! kick! kick!!!!!!!!.....................
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Jon Gu approves of the above message exchange.
  • Amalie Sæverud
    kick,! kick! kick! kick! kick! kick! kick! kick! kick!!!!!!!!.....................
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    This thread reminded me of something that happened to my uncle a few years ago and I figured I'd share the anecdote:

My uncle has his own private company exporting and importing oil for various international companies. He's based in the UK so most of his contracts started off in Western Europe but he had an opportunity to secure a contract with a Chinese company. So he and some of his colleagues/employees flew out to meet with this company and negotiate a contract. On arrival he was told it was customary to bring a gift when trying to secure a contract and he figured an expensive bottle of whisky was appropriate but it turned out the company expected something more in the line of 20,000rmb. The thing was that this company owned a large and (seemingly) busy office building and the contract itseful was a significant enough amount of money to make 20,000rmb seem paltry, and he'd heard that financial 'gifts' were the rule more often than not in Chinese business so he went along with it.

And it turned out the company was a ghost company and that the office building had been rented with the staff being employed actors. He was actually quite impressed that they'd go through so much for only 20,000rmb considering the costs of the operation, but I suppose dozens of people must have been fleeced in the same way.
  • Amalie Sæverud
    your uncle is lucky, becuase he didn't fully eat that! if he was a chinese, who is born into this culture, and smell the stink air, and eat the shit as the are doctrine. You just need to tell them you have a relative is government officer, and they will pay you hundreds thousand to you for favor of a government job or a chance to buy the price-limit housing! This is China, enjoy!
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Your post reminds of this ESL example I recently saw in a text-book:

6. Do you have happy memories in your life? Well, Jane Taylor does. You're going to hear her happiest memory. Try to retell it.

I was 14 when my grandfather died. He left me some money. After I talked with some friends, I decided to use the money to buy an air-ticket to Paris...
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Somebody with a sense of humor has been writing ESL books again...
    What the hell does that have to do with Nikkie's post?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Zhaohong, don't be upset. Very little of your taxes go to pay their wages, which are actually very low. Most of their money comes from the cash bribes, bars of gold, and flats that they're given to circumvent their doing their jobs. 怪不得那么多中国人想做公务员……
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I know, corruption is sad...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Ok, now i think problem solved. This one will do. His telphone number is +863452718290309

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    COOL, how did you get my picture?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hahahhahahaaaa, been tracking you all time.
  • Simen Wangberg
    Wouldn't you know it, CNN ran a piece about this kinda gig yesterday. Can't find the link to it though.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I read a related piece in China Daily this morning, hence the "resurrection" of the thread ... hey, maybe I should dye my skin and look white too, I definitely have the beer belly :)

Foreign faces there for rent

By Cui Jia (China Daily)
    Updated: 2010-08-27 07:43

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2010-08/27/content_11210656.htm

"You need to be a Caucasian male, look professional and mature but not too handsome, otherwise people might think you're an actor," said the male voice on the end of the line.

Q: Who is ChinaESL?

ChinaESL advertises teaching vacancies on websites and in Beijing listings magazines, such as The Beijinger. When a China Daily reporter approached them posing as an executive looking to hire expats by the hour for corporate meetings, a member of staff surnamed Tang responded by offering a price list.

"We charge 600 yuan for an hour and 3,000 yuan for the day," she said. "I can promise you they will look and act like professionals during your event (our laowai) are all experienced and know what they are doing.

"You can choose from different skin colors and accents if you want them to talk," she added.

Later that same day, the China Daily reporter called ChinaESL and asked the same question, only this time revealing their true identity. "We only provide foreigners for English language teaching positions, that's all," the customer service worker insisted before hanging up the phone.

"Where there is demand there is supply," he said. "Many foreigners come to China with no plan or real expertise, except being a native English speaker. Being the window dressing is perfect for them and for my clients."

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Confirmed. I've worked for ChinaESL before. She asked me to do this sort of shit a couple of times, but in the end they decided I wasn't quite old looking enough for it, even with the face fuzz.

• Hans Christian Eriksson

This kind of job  is like cheating or stealing!  Everyone has a social responsibility towards other people from the society.  Helping a company to deceive by any means other people is far from being ethical, and victims can always intent a lawsuit against these vandals. This is a crime and take heed! 

• Turkmenbaschi
    Turkmenbaschi wrote:

@Birima

you have problems.

far from being ethical? 

wtf, start to fight real ethical crimes. 

is it unethical to have a really sweet presentation room for your customers with big 50" tv screens and all that fancy bullshit? but in the companies buros they still have old 15 "not LCD-Screens".

oh my god, its so unethical, that they presume to be a modern company....

the white duder is just to creat an image, what is "unethical" about that?

if you have a problem with all that marketing bla, then fight the capitalistic system, where profit and "growth" stands above people.

• Turkmenbaschi
    Turkmenbaschi wrote:

oh and talking about ethics in a "i want to be posh online community" is cynical anyways.

and yes from me as well. 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... BIRIMA ... I actually have to agree with Turkmenbaschi here, I myself am against the idea of it, but the guy being hired for the job, is just one of the stage prop on stage, and as far as I am concerned, stage prop do not get blamed for anything :)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Uncle D, "I actually have to agree with Turkmenbaschi here..."

You say that as if it's surprising... has anyone sane ever not disagreed with anything said by Birima?

• Lene Gundersen
    I only read the topic,and I feel:oh how stupid are those chinese,so ashamed to admit that I have the same yellow face as them.others will judge me as stupid as them because we belong to the same race.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... 莫明 ... I really dont know, I seem to have a big blank with most of what Birima had said in the past ...

Dida ... it is this "superficial" thing that had let a lot of Chinese down (my wife felt the same when she was in Australia), and also why some foreigners are "allowed" to do all kinds of silly and insulting things and get away with it ...

• Ecce Marce
    Ecce Marce wrote:

Lets put another aspect into this topic. If you represent to be from a company but you are not you are helping others to cheat. That means that you are partly responsible for the lost of the third party.

I dont know about the legal system in China. But in most other countries you cannot say "I was only an actor" but you may have to face serious legal questions. To help someone to cheat is also illegal.

This risk however is small, since you easily can disappear.

• Børge Notkevich
    Just saw this in China Times on Friday about agencies in Beijing renting out "white guys".
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Calling this criminal is a stretch unless, like me, you consider global capitalism to be criminal in and of itself. The plain and simple fact that there is even a coherent market for this sort of thing shows that there is something very wrong with the decision-making processes of business leaders.

Recently, I've had some opportunities to do this, maybe even full-time. It's appallingly dishonest and outrageously superficial, but I think I might do it anyway just for the opportunity to chronicle my misadventures while I'm paid to eat, drink, and smoke with a bunch of old Chinese dudes.

Not without remorse, however. My idea is to do a bit of gonzo journalism and publish a book on white privilege and corrupt business practices when it's all said and done.

Whaddya think? Is this just totally reprehensible, or should I take advantage of it before someone less scrupulous does the same?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Dando Z 单独子 there is a Chinese saying, 不入虎穴焉得虎子, doing "undercover" work can be interesting, but I suggest keeping a low profile, or you wont get as much story material as you want ... look forward to seeing or even your book soon :)

I think this type of story can be compared to people who has a small (or empty shell) company, and in order to impress (or lie to) some big-shot investor or client, they rent a large office space, furniture and even some actors for a day or two, just for the show ... such act (or scam) should really be nothing new among Chinese, and considering there had been similar movies and tv from the west, I assume that this is nothing new for them either, right?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@DD, Fo' sho'. This'll be the last time I mention it in a public forum if they do pick me, and I'll be sanitizing my Facebook as well. And as for the book that'll hopefully vindicate this honkey, I plan on soliciting stories from some of my black pals in the ESL game about the other end of the stick.

Such as my colleague who was told that she couldn't work in a kindergarten because she might scare the children with her big blackness. Although she did consider it refreshing to hear a Chinese person speak so directly, the messenger happened to be a burn victim with a severely disfigured face.

• Simen Wangberg

"Is this just totally reprehensible, or should I take advantage of it before someone less scrupulous does the same?"

Do it. Do it now. Brilliant idea, wish I'd thought of it actually. That would be a great read, whether you've spent time here or not.

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

I heard about this ,, is really so shame,.. but i have friend's friend really did.. after payment , he told me is same stupid , the guy emply him went to manufacturer, the guy just want to check the competitor..as this is international business ,so without foreigner client they wont allow chinese going to visit the factory ,,, but that chinese guy pay for him one day only go with him to the facotry ....

But after that he really feel not good all the time, very shame about that,,

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.